Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Upgrade

Options
  • 08-11-2009 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

I woz thinking about upgrading my gaming PC for Christmas, New Mobo, Chip & Ram. I have an Ati 4870 GPU which will last me for a while yet so I am just going to stick with the three items below.

I was humming and hawing about the CPU, The i5 seems to be a nice buy then the AMD Phenom is a lot better value for money so I have decided to go with that.
    pixmania.ie
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 6 MB L3 Cache €159.00

pixmania again :)

MSI 785G-E53 - Socket AM3 - Chipset 785G - ATX €99.00

Ram from the good people at komplett

Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL9
    €109.00

So the whole lots coming for around €367.00 which is a nice little bit to spend on an upgrade, To offset the cost I was going to sell my old stuff on Ebay or Adverts.

ASUS P5Q Mobo
    Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q6700 2.66GHz
    2 X Kingston 2Gb DDR2 400MHz

I would be hoping to get €150.00 for the above so my upgrade would then cost around €200.00

Well am I mad or could I do better for my money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Your current setup is fine I think

But if you are determined.. you can go i5 for almost all the same prices you just quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

+1 for you being mad. :P

For €200 you're not going to see a huge performance increase. If you really want to spend money, go for an SSD instead. I think Intel have a nice 80gig SSD that really will improve performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Farcear wrote: »
    For €200 you're not going to see a huge performance increase. If you really want to spend money, go for an SSD instead. I think Intel have a nice 80gig SSD that really will improve performance!

+1

Nnot sure if you'd see any performance increase at all!!

Like i said to another poster here, Get a second screen, a projector and nice speaker system a htpc such as this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167153

To increase the gaming experience, look at other options, as hardware right now will not take you any further...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055728976

This seems cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

+1 for you being mad. :P

Well that's why I did ask, Sometimes we need to be told to cop on a little bit. :D

If you really want to spend money, go for an SSD instead.

I was actually looking at a few positive posts in the windows forum about that.

The sound thing does not work for me as I use a set of earphones while gaming.

Cheers all

Advertisement