Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sawing up a large fallen tree

• 08-11-2009 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

A fair-sized tree has fallen in my forestry plantation blocking the access track and crushing over a dozen trees. By fair-sized I mean a circumference of about 110'', a truck width of about 40''.

Where would I get someone to saw this into firewood and how much might it cost?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭locha

I had a similar experience, a large beech fell. I got a quote from a tree surgeon that it would take 3 men a day to cut up the tree and block it. He was looking for €800 for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

I would be surprised if one of your neighbouring farmers did not have a chainsaw. every farmer i know has. why not ask one of them and see if they would do it for you. where are you based as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

viztopia wrote: »
    I would be surprised if one of your neighbouring farmers did not have a chainsaw. every farmer i know has. why not ask one of them and see if they would do it for you. where are you based as a matter of interest?

I have a chainsaw, just not one that could handle a trunk 40'' thick...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

My son and his pals may be interested if they had time at the weekends, if you told your location it would help.

EDIT what variety of tree is it & how long is the trunk @ 40" D?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You don't need that big a saw! 20" bar and cut from both sides.

Even if it is slightly too big you can make a small cut to allow the saw to cut a little deeper.
    A good 60cc saw will do this job, faster if you had a 90cc with a 24" bar but not impossible with a smaller saw.
    Where are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

I'd be interested also, particularly in the other trees that were damaged.

Like the other posters, where are you located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

pburns wrote: »
    A fair-sized tree has fallen in my forestry plantation blocking the access track and crushing over a dozen trees. By fair-sized I mean a circumference of about 110'', a truck width of about 40''.

Where would I get someone to saw this into firewood and how much might it cost?

burnsie how's the form?
    a tree surgeon at €800 with proper insurance is a lot cheaper than chancing someone coming in off the side of the road.
    i presume you can write this off against tax and you get a tree full of ring to bust up at your ease with an axe.
    letting a couple of local young fella in to cut it up and take it away is a recipe for disaster in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

locky76 wrote: »
    burnsie how's the form?

letting a couple of local young fella in to cut it up and take it away is a recipe for disaster in my opinion

The lads I was referring although not qualified tree surgeons are covered by insurance and have no interest in taking away anything only a few €. They also have safe pass and carry a cv with references from employers who they have done work for previously. all of these empoyers can be contacted to verify same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

Well if there not qualified tree surgeons what type of insurance do they have? just curious for my own perspective
    Have they got chainsaw operation certs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

snowman707 wrote: »
    The lads I was referring although not qualified tree surgeons are covered by insurance and have no interest in taking away anything only a few €. They also have safe pass and carry a cv with references from employers who they have done work for previously. all of these empoyers can be contacted to verify same.
    i'm sorry if i offended you but letting anyone in that's not a qualified tree surgeon with the appropriate insurance is a pure and utter gamble.
    €800 that's tax deductable is a small amount to pay for piece of mind in my opinion

• Advertisement
Advertisement