Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we just all pull together

Options
  • 08-11-2009 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Right first off im 27, i work in the contruction industry as a quantity surveyor bairly hanging onto my job at the mo like most people in the country. Earn roughly 36000 a year. Bought a house two years ago with my partner. yes im sick of looking and hearing the bullsh0t of the public sector unions but Can we all just suffer for the next couple of years and just get this country back on the road again. Im prepared to do it are you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Milstream

See my friend its people like you that keep going on and on and on and on. SAME old spill coming out. ye i bought a house at the top of the market and i still dont complain so what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

The phrase pain is weakness leaving the body now applies fo one and all for the forseeable future. The above post is the typical rant that undermines any sense of moving forward. The crabs in a box syndrome where any crab that tries to get out of the box gets pulled back in. The reality is no one forced any one to either buy a new car, move houses or whatever. The speculators developers blah blah has been beaten to death at this stage. We had near full employment, vat,vrt, stamp, and paye receipts all flowed into the gov either directly or as a result of the boom. No one had any issues with 8€ sandwiches, prices rising faster than inflation even the non national influx was accepted as the Irish replacement for the service industry. Big issue I have is that the people in gov who oversaw this including senior life time civil servants are rewarded with ongoing job security. There is no incentive for anyone to pull together. People are relying on the Gov to take care of them by paying higher taxes for services etc. Therein lies the dilemma. How knowing the performance of the various elected leaders in the past year or so could instill confidence in anyone public or private sector is beyond me. The old adage of pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered certainly applies to those who are on the ropes now.

Wasn't it builders, developers and muppets overpaying for land and houses that caused a lot of this mess?

Muppets overpaying for houses is that not a bit harse. Come on we all enjoyed the last few years. Bet you did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Why should someone who saved their ass off, controlled their spending and lived within their means through the boom years have to "share the pain" with someone who lived beyond their means, bought into property they really couldn't afford and entered loans they had no capacity to enter into and are now faced the prospect of financial ruin?

Yes, it is harsh, I feel sorry you find yourself in such a tough position and it is a situation I would wish upon no-one but this is reality - YOU made the decisions, no-one else, now YOU must live with the results of YOUR decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Kensington wrote: »
    Why should someone who saved their ass off, controlled their spending and lived within their means through the boom years have to "share the pain" with someone who lived beyond their means, bought into property they really couldn't afford and entered loans they had no capacity to enter into and are now faced the prospect of financial ruin?

Yes, it is harsh, I feel sorry you find yourself in such a tough position and it is a situation I would wish upon no-one but this is reality - YOU made the decisions, no-one else, now YOU must live with the results of YOUR decisions.

The day may come when you need help. I hope that you encounter people of kinder disposition than that you show here.

• Advertisement

I do live with the results.Hands up im guilty i bought a house.Thats the point im trying to make. I dont feel one bit sorry myself. i just want to get this country back on its knees.

mikemac wrote: »
    You are here since 2008, surely you learned to quote since then

Indeed I did have a great time in the Celtic Tiger period but I surely didn't buy an overpriced house but hey, my payslip is your payslip so hike up those tax rates as I'll pay.
    No, I don't have the least bit in common with you

What did you buy mikemac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The day may come when you need help. I hope that you encounter people of kinder disposition than that you show here.
    If it's a result of my budgeting (or lack thereof), I will have no-one but myself to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jayo007

put sinn fein in goverment they can supply us with arms and we can go looking for the bankers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Milstream wrote: »
    i just want to get this country back on its knees.

I presume that was posted in error ? Freudian slip, though : the banking and construction industry, facilitated by the Government, have "put the country on its knees", and we need to get it back on its feet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Kensington wrote: »

For the same reason that all those of us who didnt vote FF/ PD or Green still have to live with the consequences imposed on us by those that did.

mikemac wrote: »

Sorry Milstream, I hoping for house prices to crash to the floor and even below the floor and you aren't.

House prices crashing to the floor would be good for no one really, anyone with a tiny bit of common sense could figure out that if house prices really do go very very low (at the mo I think they are value in most places) financial state of the country will reach a state of critical ill health the effects of which would be catastrophic for the entire nation.

If you had approx €60 / €70 k saved up and could by a house for that that was €350+ at the peak that isn't a good situation even for the person with the cash saved up. Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Let's pick the over priced house apart. Whenever you bought you paid market value at the house. If you had the house you lived in owned for a few years you got a great bounce, however the cost to change is the important number. Just like your wages. The nett is the comarable number not gross. As I see it if you are not selling and can stay put you should be ok. That said is anyone really thinking the effect of an ECB interest increase alone will have on those who are tight on cash now. To me rates will inch up once mainland Europe starts to lift however Ireland being on the fringe will I think suffer greatly as the service sector which is a big employer will see no increase in employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

This is what you're up against OP,pretty much the same thing that got us here.
    We are a nation of thick me feiners,the amount of people I talk to who have no ability to see beyond their own noses.
    Nobody wants to take cuts yet nobody has any other solutions.
    It sickens me,the people who complain about cuts the most never seem to know the basics like how much the country takes in and spends,all they know is that they were earning x last year and now they're earning less and they don't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

OP: I agree with you - we need to actually start thinking about what brings us together rather than what diffrenciates us.
    The unfortunate thing though is that many people who trawl these sites just want to argue for the sake of arguing and if you were to see these people in the flesh we would probably generally get on.

What we actually need is a common enemy. May I suggest the politicians :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

RoverJames wrote: »
    House prices crashing to the floor would be good for no one really, anyone with a tiny bit of common sense could figure out that if house prices really do go very very low (at the mo I think they are value in most places) financial state of the country will reach a state of critical ill health the effects of which would be catastrophic for the entire nation.

If you had approx €60 / €70 k saved up and could by a house for that that was €350+ at the peak that isn't a good situation even for the person with the cash saved up. Think about it.

And whats wrong with low house prices?

Exactly who benefits from high house prices? (hint:it ain't the consumer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭harsea8

OP, by the look of the responses on here, I'd say no

So headwrecking,so many ps workers bleating in unison.
    Not one of them realises that they are only hastening their demise at the hands of the imf.Ignorance is bliss I suppose.
    Why should we let them drag us down with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jayo007

dry your eyes son!

jayo007 wrote: »
    dry your eyes son!
    lame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I don't see how group masturbation is going to get us out of this crisis.
    I'll get me coat.

Honestly OP, you're asking the impossible.
    Irish society has been halved, then those halves have been quartered.
    And all sections are bitterly opposed to each other, all groups guarding their own pot.

Its temping to say "Divide & Conquer" on behalf of the Irish government.
    I prefer to think of it as "Deep set corruption & utter lack of leadership ability" on behalf of El Cowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

gurramok wrote: »
    And whats wrong with low house prices?

Exactly who benefits from high house prices? (hint:it ain't the consumer)

Agreed,
    High prices are what is killing us as a nation.
    In the Metro today someone pointed out it's 6 euro for a beer and 3 euro for a coffee in Ireland. On the continent it's 3 euro for a beer and 1 euro for a coffee.
    Apply that to houses, cars, pretty much everything is cheaper abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

The answer is no, milstream. The reasons as addressed on this thread and one or two others is that we in this country have no real sense of nationhood. Shocking as that may sound. I really don't believe we actually see ourselves in terms of being Irish. It's all down to the county you live in, town, village or the group you are a member of, be it farmers, doctors, soldiers, sailors or candlestickmakers. Dannyboy and baa expressed similar sentiments.

It's rare that you hear of a politician speak for the county as a whole. They only look after their constituents. Decisions are often made for local purposes rather than strategic reasons.

So we don't want to work together for the good of all. We want to protect what he have and to hell with the rest. We are still essentially tribal in character. That's how the English had no real trouble taking over all those years ago and why we continue to come across as a immature disordered country.

We have no strong leadership, just a bunch of self serving second rate politicians out for their own gain, not to mention a Taoiseach who only got the job because the last one had his hand in till and because he was next in line within the party.

Then of course we have the traditional begrudgers, the Kensintons. Damm you milstream for trying to improve your lot and believing that there was more to life than scrimping and saving and that you could actually live in a nice house just like all those other people. Don't you know your place? It's your mistake to imagine for a moment that Ireland is just like all the other countries in Europe, comfortable, free and rich. We should have stayed poor and drunk.

So will we pull together, No, not a chance. This country needs to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Don't you know your place? It's your mistake to imagine for a moment that Ireland is just like all the other countries in Europe, comfortable, free and rich. We should have stayed poor and drunk.
    The problem was that we began to imagine we were better than the other countries in Europe, deserving of greater comfort and wealth. Believing that we have an economy comparable to the German or French economy does not make it so. Nothing wrong with aspirations, once they're tempered with reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

MaceFace wrote: »
    OP:

What we actually need is a common enemy. May I suggest the politicians :-)

I couldn't agree more! May I suggest that we add the Board Members of our Banks? (You know, the ones who are walking off with huge pensions and bonuses!)

Noreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

The problem was that we began to imagine we were better than the other countries in Europe, deserving of greater comfort and wealth. Believing that we have an economy comparable to the German or French economy does not make it so. Nothing wrong with aspirations, once they're tempered with reality.
    We shouldn't be comparing ourselves to France or Germany but to the smaller countries of Europe of comparable size or population. Belgium, Finland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden. They all remained more comfortable and in the case of Norway certainly the richest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

baaaa wrote: »
    So headwrecking,so many ps workers bleating in unison.
    Not one of them realises that they are only hastening their demise at the hands of the imf.Ignorance is bliss I suppose.
    Why should we let them drag us down with them?

oh the irony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

I absolutely hate this private v public sector crap. I am a teacher and ya i think i cud definately take a pay cut to help out, so long as everyone earning more than me also does, including private sector. I earn bout 400 a week so won't be hard findin those that earn more than me. By the way can i just state that my mother who is a teacher for the last 39 yrs is earning bout 600 a week, please realise that we never went for our jobs for the money. Still livin at home, teaching for 5 yrs now and no more secure than anyone of my friends in the private sector, not permanent, nor will i be in the next 4 or 5 yrs. Sick of being made to feel guilty for being in a profession that requires you to work overtime without pay constantly and to see people my age going out buying houses, new cars, holidays etc. and then complaining their job is at risk. Prepared to take a cut cause i have the security of my family lookin after me but feel sorry for those who have mortgages, kids etc and earning the same as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

rebel10 wrote: »
    Still livin at home, teaching for 5 yrs now and no more secure than anyone of my friends in the private sector, not permanent, nor will i be in the next 4 or 5 yrs.
    Unfortunately you are likely to take the brunt of cuts as the unions will be protecting those on permanent contracts.

• Advertisement

How can we all "pull together"?
    Some people want us to keep borrowing to pay their wages....
    Others dont want social welfare cut
    Others want low house prices
    Others want NAMA to help stabilise their property price

Some people just want a job....
    Simple maths will show you that if you pay less you can hire more people so immediately those who want a job are at odds with those who oppose pay cuts.

We cant pull together because we all want different things.

Advertisement