Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Primer on Depth-of-Field

• 08-11-2009 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi folks -
    Thought you might find this interesting. It's an article I wrote for my October newsletter, and just now putting on the main site.

If you've ever had difficulty understanding depth-of-field and how to control it, or even why the aperture has an effect on it, my primer on the subject will be of use to you.

I'd love to hear comments on it. For those of you who are already familiar with the subject, this is a somewhat simplified view of it. The idea is to give the total novice a basic grounding in the subject without running for the hills.

Cheers,
    Peter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Seems pretty good at explaining the subject Peter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Very well explained. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I couldn't help but notice the incredible depth of field in the profile photos of the X-Factor finalists. I'm starting to believe that they don't contain real depth of field, but rather are photoshopped images.

What do you think?

10217_172360720655_171450080655_4228033_8135987_n.jpg

9223_146359618159_145480338159_2652646_2865882_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Nope, it's quite realistic.

Check out the 85mm 1.2's and 1.4's - Or even the 50mm 1.0's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Nope, it's quite realistic.

Realistic as in the fact there is such a large aperture, or that the images are realistic? I think the images are quite disorientating to be honest!

• Advertisement

Well... Both!

Realistic as in, an aperture as large as 1.2 or 1.0 will provide DOF like that, and realistic as in the images look quite untouched - Usually, images coming from that kind of background would have rather a lot of retouching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭petercox

Regardless of how you feel about the technique, the shallow depth of field in those images is the natural product of a very wide aperture.

Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

extreme bokeh (opposite side of the depth of field coin) is very doable even with poor lenses (albeit quality will suffer) if you adjust the aperture downwards in value (open the aperture), the focal length upwards (lengthen the zoom) and the reduce the distance to subject (get in there closer). This is the first major difference you will notice in moving into the SLR world.

The above images are most likely photoshopped to some extent i.e. false like everything else on that bloody show but that's a rant for another day :D But its not inconceivable that a very shallow depth of field was used at least in part. Particularly with Lucy's image where the right eye (left of the image) is to my eye sharper than the opposite eye. A very narrow depth of field with head ever so slightly tilted could achieve this aesthetic in camera. Check out dofmaster for examples and play with the settings to see how much depth of field you get (in focus v out of focus).

Still - like the xfactor itself I think the whole show is photoshopped :D

Naw, they've left too many other blemishes in tbh. You wouldn't go to the lenghts they'd have gone to getting those looking that natural and leave out the basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

They look optical, not photoshopped. Look at her eyes and then her shoulder - they are in the same focal plane and therefore focused.
    Sell a kit lense and get 50/1.8 -> new world will appear in your viewfinder ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

peter

in the article, which is very well put together by the way

you say that focal length affects depth of field, this isnt quite accurate is it. its magnification that affects it.

ie if say a 100mm lens and a 400mm lens have the subject at exactly the same size within the image, the depth of field is the same. the perceived change in depth of field from a long lens is generally to do with how much magnification is going on, or am i misunderstanding you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    extreme bokeh (opposite side of the depth of field coin) is very doable even with poor lenses (albeit quality will suffer) if you adjust the aperture downwards in value (open the aperture), the focal length upwards (lengthen the zoom) and the reduce the distance to subject (get in there closer). This is the first major difference you will notice in moving into the SLR world.

The above images are most likely photoshopped to some extent i.e. false like everything else on that bloody show but that's a rant for another day :D But its not inconceivable that a very shallow depth of field was used at least in part. Particularly with Lucy's image where the right eye (left of the image) is to my eye sharper than the opposite eye. A very narrow depth of field with head ever so slightly tilted could achieve this aesthetic in camera. Check out dofmaster for examples and play with the settings to see how much depth of field you get (in focus v out of focus).

Still - like the xfactor itself I think the whole show is photoshopped :D
    Obviously not enough to stop you watching considering you know their names :p

Thanks Peter.

Advertisement