Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CCD Sensor

• 08-11-2009 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭

Radio Amateur Wins Nobel Prize

Radio Amateur George Smith, AA2EJ, was awarded the
    Nobel Prize in Physics for the invention of an imaging
    semiconductor circuit - the CCD sensor.

Around 5:30 on the morning of October 6 2009, George E.
    Smith, AA2EJ, of Barnegat, New Jersey, got a phone call
    that changed his life: He had just found out he had won
    the Nobel Prize in Physics for 2009 "for the invention
    of an imaging semiconductor circuit -- the CCD sensor."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

So why couldn't he have invented it as full frame - would have saved us all a packet :pac:

But seriously, was this guy working for a Canon/Nikon/Sony/Fuji or the reference to amateur that he was just sitting in his bedroom on the ham radio and thought - oh yeah what would happen if I had a bit of wafer which could replace camera film...... hmmmmnnnnn.....

Do you know I always wondered why some bright spark didn't develop a 35mm canister with a digital sensor which could be loaded into film bodies / act like film but yield digital...... reuse of the older bodies/best of both worlds etc... (sorry if this last point is slightly off topic).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Do you know I always wondered why some bright spark didn't develop a 35mm canister with a digital sensor which could be loaded into film bodies / act like film but yield digital...... reuse of the older bodies/best of both worlds etc... (sorry if this last point is slightly off topic).

well Im sure someone will, doesn't look all that hard :P

ccd-sensors.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The CCD -- invented in about an hour over lunch when Smith and Boyle worked together at New Jersey's Bell Labs -- was, according to Wired Magazine, the first practical way to let a light-sensitive silicon chip store an image and then digitize it. In short, it is the basis of today's digital camera.

According to Wired, the "most amazing thing about the invention" is that Boyle and Smith came up with the design so quickly. With Bell Labs threatening to take the funds from their department and transfer the money to other research, Boyle had to come up with a competing semiconductor design. He got together with Smith, and within an hour, they came up with the idea and sketched it all out on a blackboard.

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2009/11/03/11182/

No one initially predicted that the CCD would become indispensable to the field of astronomy. But it is precisely thanks to digital technology that the wide-angle camera on the HST can send the most astonishing images back to Earth. The camera's sensor initially consisted of only 0.64 megapixels 800×800 pixels); however, as four sensors were interconnected, they provided a total of 2.56 megapixels. This was a big thing in the 1980s when the Hubble was designed. Today, the Kepler satellite has been equipped with a mosaic sensor of 95 megapixels, and the hope is that it will discover Earth-like planets around stars other than the Sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

well the sensor would fit but what about the processor and all the electronics?

I dont think there was ever a 35mm digital back like they have for medium format

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

well the sensor would fit but what about the processor and all the electronics?

Well, here's where I don't know what i'm talking about, but that's never stopped me before....... :pac: my crazy mind was thinking - couldn't someone design the 35mm canister to hold the processor/electronics/mini sd 64GB memory, powered by two watch batteries (rechargeable of course). You'd have two sides of the 35mm film back that you potentially could fill in a single cartridge (allowing for spools, etc...) - I'm think a 'canister' along the lines of a 110 style (two circular tubes interconnected) but in a 35mm size/format that could be loaded into any 35mm film camera - SLR or P&S. Granted they'd have to stuff the electronic in there but all the mechanics of the lens/mirror/shutter would be reusable in this context.

I know,.... all this is wishful thinking, but it's ok to have a crazy idea every now and again. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I know,.... all this is wishful thinking, but it's ok to have a crazy idea every now and again. :p

Someone actually DID try this a few years back. Opinion is divided as to whether or not it was vapour ware or not, but alledgedly there was a few prototypes floating around. All the electronics fit into the 35mm canister, and the sensor was on a strip that fit it exactly on the film gate. Evidently it proved impossible to fully make work, or there was no market for it.
    Arguably the first DSLRs were the early Kodak models, which were nikon bodies (F-90 iirc at first, later there was some version built on the F5) with enormously bulky kodak digital backs.
    I'd say anyhow, even if the technology did exist today to make the 'digital sensor in a canister' a reality the camera manufacturers would never go for it. They must be amazed at the publics' appetite for dumping their cameras every two years and buying new ones with a few more megapixels, or another stop of sensitivity. They're practically printing money. Me, i'm happy with my version of the above, which is a roll of ektar and my coolscan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Well, here's where I don't know what i'm talking about, but that's never stopped me before....... :pac: my crazy mind was thinking - couldn't someone design the 35mm canister to hold the processor/electronics/mini sd 64GB memory, powered by two watch batteries (rechargeable of course). You'd have two sides of the 35mm film back that you potentially could fill in a single cartridge (allowing for spools, etc...) - I'm think a 'canister' along the lines of a 110 style (two circular tubes interconnected) but in a 35mm size/format that could be loaded into any 35mm film camera - SLR or P&S. Granted they'd have to stuff the electronic in there but all the mechanics of the lens/mirror/shutter would be reusable in this context.

if it was possible in 35mm format CMOS technology would have to be used!

Advertisement