Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a very interesting idea.. but is it possible?

Options
  • 08-11-2009 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Well, today my HP DV2000 went and murdered itself, the amazing laptop that it was. So rather than lose my nut and break something with someone, I went and spent about 5 hours googling to work out how I could salvage the screen as a second monitor. Now, everywhere I looked all I could find were folk who weren't willing to consider the idea, stating "just buy a new screen, scrap the laptop, bla bla". But I did alot of googling, like, my face has 'Google' imprinted on it at this stage. So the screen is the LG.Philips LF141WX1. It's a 14.1" LCD screen. The objective here, is to work out how to match up the 18 connections present on the 30 pin plug inside the panel casing to the corresponding pins on a DVI connection and appropriate power supply. The connections on the LCD panel and a DVI connection are as follows.

8322430025a11835866659o.jpg

8322430025a11835866283o.jpg

Now, the wiring confuses the hell out of me here, because most of those wires correspond but under different names, but the biggest confusion is the power supply. I see 2 x 3.3v VCC connections and the third is the one I'm not sure of, a 3.3v DDC connection, the one labelled 'V EEDID'. This apparently means Enhanced Extended Display Identification Data, I'm not sure which pin corresponds to this on the DVI plug though. Also, there is a small board to power the backlights, but this part is less clear. I'm not too bad with electronics but this is definitly a bit beyond my current knowledge, so any help at all would be greatly appreciated! :):) I'll upload pictures throughout and we'll see if I melt my face off or actually succeed :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

You going to need to buy/get or salvage from you old laptop a control.

Here is a article on does it with VGA that should get you started.

Also for research have a look at HackaDay.com site {plus check out their forums.}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

I somone on this site (unclerosco i think) did this with 2 laptop screens in his MM Cube build.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I somone on this site (unclerosco i think) did this with 2 laptop screens in his MM Cube build.
    I think you're right (username and all). He designed or modded a case with these screens in it. I believe he made it into a pc magazine as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Wasn't Unclerosco I don't think, I know he got into a magazine for his PC built into his desk. It was... chosen? Was it? :confused: Has it been that long that I can't remember, lol, was probably an opteron 165 build or something :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Wasn't Unclerosco I don't think, I know he got into a magazine for his PC built into his desk. It was... chosen? Was it? :confused: Has it been that long that I can't remember, lol, was probably an opteron 165 build or something :D
    It was rosco.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53503089&postcount=15

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

It apears i was wrong, it was dubdvd.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3354256&postcount=303

43e1vr8.jpg

Maybe unclerosco did a similar thing too, im sure he will pop in soon enough to correct us.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Marcface

Update time.

I went with the following configuration re: the LCD panel to DVI pin.

LCD Pin #. to (DVI Pin#)
    1. Connect to ground
    2. 3.3V+ (This must be for circuit power along with pin 3)
    3. 3.3V+
    4. to Hot Plug
    5. NC (as stated)
    6. to (6)DDC_CLK(SCL)
    7. to (7)DDC_DATA(SDA)
    8. to (17)
    9. to (18)
    10. to GND
    11. to (9)
    12. to (10)
    13. to GND
    14. to (1)
    15. to (2)
    16. to GND
    17. to (24)
    18. to (23)
    19. to GND
    The ol' cable ended up looking like a lovely mess, but there was no point in soldering it all and making it temporary.

8322430025a11843808138o.jpg
    8322430025a11843808220o.jpg

I then had to work out a way around the fact that I couldn't, for the life of me, work out the wireing for the CCFL inverter. Neither could a fully qualified electrician I asked! He was baffled by the placement of resisters.

8322430025a11838475693o.jpg
    8322430025a11838476345o.jpg

So I went with a crazy idea and pulled this old inverter from the Cold Cathode kit in an old rig I had layin around.

8322430025a11839200082o.jpg

Now, the output specs of both are fairly close (but far enough to cause a drain on the old 450w psu I used in testing).
    The specs of the Cold Cathode inverter are:

3. Input voltage of inverter:12v
    4. Output voltage of inverter:680v
    5. Current draw:5.0mA

And the requirements of the CCFL in the LCD panel.

Operating Voltage - Min 640v Typ 655v Max 880v
    Operating Current - Min 2.0 Typ 6.3 Max 7.0 mA

It worked! There was no magic blue smoke, no popping, the inverter was very hot but stable (yet still did that irritating draining of the PSU, audible through the fan dropping to near noisless).

8322430025a11840674083o.jpg

So then I went and chucked the old nVidia card I had it all connected to into my rig, and popped it all on. The result was extremely disappointing.

8322430025a11843808297o.jpg

But, then, I realised, the graphics card wasn't registered at all, it wasn't installed, didn't show up in Devices. So I went with the assumption that it's because I put it into my third PCI-E slot (x4, on the ASUS P6T SE board). I've never used a board with more than one graphics card before so I'm going to assume this is my problem. Anyway, that's pretty much where I am, half the screen produced a sort of grey/black covering, the other half a bit lighter. Now, some more Corona bottles.

Sorry for the lengthy post! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Following this as i've got 4 dead laptops here at the moment.

09291695926597612677.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

If you read that thread he is referring to dubdvds cube being featured in the magazine in a later edition.
    Maybe unclerosco did a similar thing too, im sure he will pop in soon enough to correct us.

Don't think Unklerosco ever made a cube case. I know Inquitus started one but it was never finished (afaik)

On topic: OP, that DVI connection is seriously ghetto. Would you not be safer just soldering the wires into a spare male DVI connector?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Marcface

L31mr0d wrote: »
    On topic: OP, that DVI connection is seriously ghetto. Would you not be safer just soldering the wires into a spare male DVI connector?

Na, it does the job perfectly, and it means not spending 30 quid on a spare connector from Blanch Centre. Couldn't care less just how ghetto it looks, I live in Mulhuddart so I live in the freakin ghetto anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

any update on this?

very eager to see it working

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I love this sort of thing! Used to do it a lot when I was younger.

Fair play to you for having a go, and keen to see how you get on.

WildeFalcon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

God I wish I had the time and money I used to have back then and an understanding wife I'm on my 3rd now LOL it's would be funny if it wasn't true . :D nice mod but I used a couple of dell 17" TFT's on mine but these would have looked a lot nicer best of luck with it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

NECROTHREADEDEGED FOR GREAT JUSTICE!!!!

:D

Seriously, we need waaay more casemods and Dremel Time™ in this forum! :cool:

... Hey, stop looking at me like that!! :o I can't help real life nor retarded hardware prices dammit! :(

Advertisement