Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Slavery

Options
  • 08-11-2009 11:59pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was reading a Ruth Rendell book called Simisola. It turned my stomach to read of how a wealthy English family brought a young black girl over from the Middle East to England to work 16 hours a day essentially as a slave for no money. She was forced to sleep on a mattress in a room by the kitchen like a dog. [Angry]

The father and elder son of the family beat her severely and raped her frequently too. Now in case you think that this is just sordid fantasy on Rendell's part, there are actually a number of very sad and proven cases of wealthy white families callously treating their domestic servants, usually black, Filipina or Eastern European, like slaves - very long hours for little or no pay, being kept a prisoner in the house, being denied proper food and much of this is driven by racism, bigotry, greed and classism.

It's more widespread than you think. [Frown]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

JupiterKid, if you'd like to discuss this book or one of Ruth Rendell's other books, this is the forum for that.

If, however, you'd like to discuss contemporary human trafficking and/or wage slavery using the plot line in an Inspector Wexford novel as a thread intro, as the Literature forum, this wouldn't be the place. In that case I'd suggest the Humanities forum (in the Soc category) but they're probably not big on emoticons there so I'd skip the "[Angry]" and "[Frown]" thing if you want a discussion there.

Up to yourself, pick one and a forum based on which one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I was reading a Ruth Rendell book called Simisola. It turned my stomach to read of how a wealthy English family brought a young black girl over from the Middle East to England to work 16 hours a day essentially as a slave for no money. She was forced to sleep on a mattress in a room by the kitchen like a dog. [Angry]

The father and elder son of the family beat her severely and raped her frequently too. Now in case you think that this is just sordid fantasy on Rendell's part, there are actually a number of very sad and proven cases of wealthy white families callously treating their domestic servants, usually black, Filipina or Eastern European, like slaves - very long hours for little or no pay, being kept a prisoner in the house, being denied proper food and much of this is driven by racism, bigotry, greed and classism.

It's more widespread than you think. [Frown]

Was the slavery modern or was it back in the 1800/1700s? You shouldn't get so upset if it happened so long ago, mankind has done a lot of ****ty things and we'd be crying ourselves to sleep every night if we chose to dwell on them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Thanks sceptre. I'll move my query/OP over to the humanities forum, as I think it's the most apropriate one.

The slavery I am discusssing didn't happen 200 years ago - it's happening right now, in houses here in Ireland as well as in other developed countries where domestic "staff" are treated little better than animals.:mad:

Advertisement