Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Arcade Fighting Stick

Options
  • 09-11-2009 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭

Hey there all I wasn't sure where to put this so mods feel free to move to appropriate section if this isn't it.

I was in GAME today in Liffey Valley and I saw that they had a Hori Arcade Stick 3 (for PS3) on sale for €50.

I had some concerns about build quality and was told that if I didn't like it that I could bring it back with receipt for a full refund so I thought I'd give it a go.

It's amazing... same if not better build quality than the Madcatz SFIV sticks. Am loving it and so far it's gotten rave reviews on my Google travels.

So anyway I thought other gamers would love to know about this. Works on the PC too for retro gaming goodness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hori sticks are good, but my main issue with them is that it's hard to replace the buttons once they wear out/break, as it requires desoldering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

is this HRAP 3? real pro arcade stick?

or this joke:http://ie.gear.ign.com/articles/766/766069p1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I started with the Hori EX2 on the XBOX, which I suppose would be this ones equivalent, I say it's a fine starter stick, and it's pretty much all you can buy in a bricks and mortar over here.

Any parts can be put into any stick but this is why Madcatz sticks are simply better, because eventually one of your buttons will fail and thats when the massive diffrences will come to the front. If you are compotent at soldering/desoldering it wont be an issue for you, other wise it can be a nightmare (from experience).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

If it's an FS3 they are meant to be the bottom of the barrel in terms of ps3 sticks that are still useable from what I've heard. No way would I pay 50 quid for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Well you'd be paying about €50 online anyway and it seems to have great reviews, I don't really understand what the problem is? I can't afford €150 to buy a proper professional quality stick... hell at that price I'd be looking to just buy the arcade parts and build one together myself with a USB interface.

It seems to be doing the job well for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I think what most people would have done is gotten the madcatz SE, this is about €60 incl delivery from amazon.

But personally I think if its just for casual use than it will do the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I disagree about the great reviews from past reading, and I'd much rather pay a bit more for a Madcatz SE (which Cunny-Funt recently ordered from amazon for 60-70? including delivery afaik) as a starter stick than an EX2/FS3 - weightier, slightly better parts (far as I'm aware), better placed start/back buttons, turbo (for shmups obviously!), and a button lock so you don't accidentally pause during a fight (edit: see the FS3 has some of these - was thinking of the Xbox equivalent which doesn't). It's also leagues easier to mod than those Horis which require soldering, in the SEs you can just pop the parts in and out.

Don't mean to disparage your purchase or anything dude, it's a fine stick to be going on with, and hopefully will last you, I just don't think it's the great bargain you do at 50 euro.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Eh?

If this is the stick in the link, it ain't got a patch on a pre modded SE imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Plenty of SE fanboys in this thread :D

I might be joining you soon, just got one this weekend (the case that is - minus the pcb)

animaX wrote: »
    Plenty of SE fanboys in this thread :D

I might be joining you soon, just got one this weekend (the case that is - minus the pcb)

I wouldn't say I'm a fan boy el tigré, I just like the weight of the stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I wouldn't say I'm a fan boy el tigré, I just like the weight of the stick.

Oh yeah, i forgot you had the doomstick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ShorYuKan

Im looking to buy an arcade stick..anyone know a good irish site i can buy one of or failing that a decent european site:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Holy thread resurrection batman!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

I use the FS:3 myself, got it just to see what it was like using a stick before investing in something better but I only paid 30 for mine, less than regular controller. I don't think I'd pay more than 30 for it to be honest. It's not bad exactly, it's just nothing to write home about either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

Achilles wrote: »
    I was in GAME today in Liffey Valley and I saw that they had a Hori Arcade Stick 3 (for PS3) on sale for €50.

WTF!?! i thought there were only GAME's up north now??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

WTF!?! i thought there were only GAME's up north now??
    Check the post date :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

Sairus wrote: »
    Check the post date :pac:

well-played-sir-well-played-indeed.jpg

Lol, notice the subtle Sagat dig at Terry in my post, these were the days.

Advertisement