Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grange Manor, Lucan

Options
  • 09-11-2009 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me a balanced opinion on Grange Manor. My main concerns are

• Traffic
    • Flooding
    • Neighbours
    • Local amenities

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

censuspro wrote: »
    Can anyone give me a balanced opinion on Grange Manor. My main concerns are

• Traffic
    • Flooding
    • Neighbours
    • Local amenities

Its a nice enough estate at the back of Griffeen Avenue- with nice landscaping and reasonable sized gardens.

*Traffic-

Its just off the 25A bus route- which is very frequent. Car transport is a different matter- depending on the time of day- it can take a considerable length of time to get into town- or down to the village etc.

*Flooding-

The most recent flooding in the area was in August 1986, June 1993 & November 2000. Since then considerable remedial work was done on the river Griffeen by SDCC.

*Neighbours

Its a housing estate with a much higher degree of owner occupiers than many surrounding estates. As such I imagine you'd be a lot more likely to have a 'neighbourly' feel to the area- than areas where the vast bulk of residences are rented.

*Local Amenities
    1. Schools and the availability of places are a massive issue.
    2. There are sports facilities nearby- the local library is at Superquinn (15 minute walk) and you've numerous other facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its a nice enough estate at the back of Griffeen Avenue- with nice landscaping and reasonable sized gardens.

*Traffic-

Its just off the 25A bus route- which is very frequent. Car transport is a different matter- depending on the time of day- it can take a considerable length of time to get into town- or down to the village etc.

*Flooding-

The most recent flooding in the area was in August 1986, June 1993 & November 2000. Since then considerable remedial work was done on the river Griffeen by SDCC.

*Neighbours

Its a housing estate with a much higher degree of owner occupiers than many surrounding estates. As such I imagine you'd be a lot more likely to have a 'neighbourly' feel to the area- than areas where the vast bulk of residences are rented.

*Local Amenities
    1. Schools and the availability of places are a massive issue.
    2. There are sports facilities nearby- the local library is at Superquinn (15 minute walk) and you've numerous other facilities.

I'm driving so traffic is a big concern. I've also started looking at Celbridge, bigger houses only 10 mins down the road...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 admo

did you learn anything about grange manor? i'm looking there my self now, are the houses insurable since it flooded in 2000?

THATS THE MESSAGE I GOT FROM INSURANCE COMPANYS TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NICE !!!!!
    GRANGE MANOR AND THE OLF FORGE ARE WORTHLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

admo wrote: »
    did you learn anything about grange manor? i'm looking there my self now, are the houses insurable since it flooded in 2000?

OP here: I decided against Grange Manor. It was a bit too far out of town and I was concerned about flooding and insurance. I also felt that the houses were over valued.

• Advertisement

looks like you made a good choice. guess we're the lucky ones. .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 briancooper

what a load of rubbish,

i lived in grange manor for about 5 years. its a lovely estate. much smaller then some others around. lots of amenities and parks etc. short walk too shops, pubs, park, gaa take aways. short drive to village and shorter again to penny hill/eurospar complex. easy access to m50, blanch, liffey valley.

very neighourly and although i have left I have still kept in contact with the great friends and neighbours i met there.

moved to country for family and work reasons, but if i had to choose a home in dublin i would definitely head back there.

with regards to insurance, i lived there during the floods. very few houses were affected, only those looking over the river. the problem was rectified immediately up towards the train line and there was never a problem since. i never had any problem getting home insurance and dont know anyone who did!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Insurance is an issue in Lucan- in general. I live on a hill over 20 feet above river level- yet have been refused insurance (this is on Main Street in the Village). Grange Manor and indeed large swathes of the greater Lucan area do have trouble getting insurance- its a simple fact. The entire area has been blacklisted (according to Aviva representatives).

S.

what a load of rubbish,

i lived in grange manor for about 5 years. its a lovely estate. much smaller then some others around. lots of amenities and parks etc. short walk too shops, pubs, park, gaa take aways. short drive to village and shorter again to penny hill/eurospar complex. easy access to m50, blanch, liffey valley.

very neighourly and although i have left I have still kept in contact with the great friends and neighbours i met there.

moved to country for family and work reasons, but if i had to choose a home in dublin i would definitely head back there.

with regards to insurance, i lived there during the floods. very few houses were affected, only those looking over the river. the problem was rectified immediately up towards the train line and there was never a problem since. i never had any problem getting home insurance and dont know anyone who did!

Reads like your annoyed, I’m not bad mouthing grange manor, I’d love to live there, I agree with all your comments on how nice grange manor is. I would be the proud owner of a grange manor house if I could get insurance for it. Unfortunately I need a mortgage from a bank because I’m not rich and I cant buy the house out right, and the bank won’t hand the mortgage over if the house isn’t insured. I tried every insurance company in the country. I’m the one really annoyed, this is to clearly let anyone who is interested in grange manor know that not all the houses are insurable. I was looking at a house on the entrance to the estate; I’d say the house was on the highest point of the estate NOT facing the park/river. I hope this can save someone else the heartache of thinking they found their dream house and then realise they have to start their search again.

Advertisement