Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hours Cut At Work - Legal?

Options
  • 09-11-2009 2:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

hi all

currently working in a hotel. been there since Jan 07. my contract says 'based on a 40 hr week' which is the way its always been until recently.

now some of the days are just 4 or 5 hours which leaves me with a 30 hr approx total at the end of week....

can they do this???

over last few months they've taken on numerous part time staff although the few full time staff are having their hours cut.

dunno if this matters but im on an hourly rate of pay not a salary;

any help would be great. thanks

ALSO

every couple of weeks on the roster im given a days paid holiday without even requesting it. so when i do question the fact im only workin 4 days they just say im gettin a holiday to make up the week to 5 paid days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm pretty sure they're covered if you don't have a part in your contract that says 'minimum hours- X' or 'X hours contract'. I don't think 'based on X hours' is clear enough. Someone else will have a better answer.

The unasked for holiday is very dodgy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

hi all

currently working in a hotel. been there since Jan 07. my contract says 'based on a 40 hr week' which is the way its always been until recently.

Does it say something like "your salary is 400 a week, based on a 40 hour week"? Because in that case what it's essentially saying is that you get paid a tenner an hour, ie 300 for a 30 hour week. Like CR says, unless it says min x hours etc, then yes, they can cut your hours.

As for the holiday thing, some employers dictate when people can take holidays (to avoid everyone being off at the same time, etc). However by scheduling you for one day a month, it means you'd only have about 8 days left to take each year, which could be a pain if you wanted to take a fortnight away sometime. The 8 days could be less if you're working less than a 40 hour week as well.

From here:
    It is for your employer to decide when annual leave may be taken, but this is subject to a number of conditions. Your employer must take into account your family responsibilities, opportunities for rest and recreation that are available to you and to consult with you (or your union) at least one month before the leave is to be taken.

Advertisement