Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone restoring old Valve Radios in Galway?

Options
  • 09-11-2009 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Got an old Pye been meaning to have done for ages.I heard there's somewhere in Dublin,would prefer if there was someone reliable nearby..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Maybe call into Hynes on Dominic street a few doors down from the Galway arms, looks like they've been there years and would probably be able to help you out/point you in the direction of somebody who could. I would imagine any slightly older repairs person could fix up something like that no bother. You could always ask in O Connors too. I do know a place down in the south of the country that could sort you out but I suspect that's not much good to you:)

(I hope Hynes is still there....I haven't really looked lately:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

I dont know if they do radios, but there is a audio sales/hire place on Sandy Road (sorry cant remember the name right now) that might be able to help.

They have a repair guy that works from there who fixes up guitar amps. He did a good job on my old valve bass amp so might well be able to work with valve radios, although probably just the electronics.
    I have his mobile if you want to give that a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

bloo wrote: »
    I dont know if they do radios, but there is a audio sales/hire place on Sandy Road (sorry cant remember the name right now) that might be able to help.

They have a repair guy that works from there who fixes up guitar amps. He did a good job on my old valve bass amp so might well be able to work with valve radios, although probably just the electronics.
    I have his mobile if you want to give that a try.

Thanks bloo,think I know the place you mean,might try that.Meanwhile someone I met has told me about a tech in GMIT who does this for a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Please post before/after pics if you get it done Owldshtok.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

There is a tech in GMIT art college. His name is Shay. He works in the Galway Film Centre part of the college. 091 770748.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Have an old Dansette radio in the attic. Think it dates back to the 'sixties. There is still a meg out of it (in that it switches on) but it is hard hear anything when turning the dial. Wonder if this GMIT chap could do something with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

The PYE is a classic alright.
    I'd advise getting the internals of an old radio (if your handy with a soldering iron) and move the parts across. I did a nice job on one a few years ago.

With some dim yellow LED's around the receiver dial, it keeps the old classic look and operates really well. Kind of functional furniture. Aye.:)

Advertisement