Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hedgehog

Options
  • 09-11-2009 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

hi

i came across a hedgehog this morning when I was out walking my dog. i live in a housing estate and he was just curled up on the foot path. Should he not be in hibernation somewhere by now? I didnt touch him and went home and got ready for work. When i was driving off to work i went back around to check on him. He had moved maybe a couple of feet but was again curled up in a ball.
    i didnt want to move him but is it too cold for him to be just sitting outside on the footpath? Is there somewhere i could ring or should i just leave him be to find somewhere cosy for the winter? Hes on the foot path so he wont be run over or anything, just wouldnt want him freezing to death

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I found one in my garden just last week. He was ambing along, presumably looking for a place to hole up. I've a walled garden with a hedge all the way around, so hopefully he found something.

Don't know if it's the right thing to do, but is there any hedges you could deposit him in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

could you please move him as he will die..there is no way he should be out in the open on a morning like this..if you can put him into a box in the garden somewhere with torn up newspaper and leave him there until tonight and he will make his own way out..put the box on its side..if you could leave out a bowl of water and a saucer of dog food near by that would be a greta help..if he weighs under 6 gramms he will not have enough fat deposits to last the winter..i am not asking you to weigh him but you might be able to tell if he is underweight byu the look of him..finally if you google cottage rescue they will be able to give you advice and possible give you info on someone who may take him for the winter..there is something wrong with it if its curled up in the middle of the morning on a path

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kaldorn wrote: »
    if you google cottage rescue
    http://www.cottagerescue.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

thanks for the advice. I went back around just after my origianal post but he'd gone......hopefully he found a warm spot to hold up. anyway i have someone keeping an eye out for him while im at work. if he shows up again ill take him and keep him safe until i can get someone to take him for the winter.
    he looked quite big so hopefully he's ok. thanks again.

Advertisement