Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting Star????

Options
  • 09-11-2009 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all,

When was the last time anyone saw a shooting star?
    I used to see them now and again years ago but i havnt seen one for a long time now. I often look out on a clear night and nothing?
    When was the last time you saw one?
    Cheers
    Steoc.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Dont worry, you'll get your fill of meteors in the coming weeks with the geminids and quadrantid meteor shower in early december and january respectively

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭steoc

Thanks Slade_x,
    Will have to have the neck cranked upwards for the next month or so...
    Its been years since ive seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm blessed with living in the countryside with very little light pollution around. I'd say that I see a meteor every week or so (& I'd only be out looking for 10 or 15 minutes a night).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Saw three in a few minutes last night myself.
    You have to be patient and hope that you're looking in the right spot at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

I saw one a few years back during daylight. Was pretty big.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I see plenty of them less than 10 miles from Dublin city centre, you've just got to look up more. Last one was a few nights ago. Easier when you don't smoke in the house in the evenings.

Next up are the Leonids: November 10-21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 wexgreen

Yeah definately look out for the Leonids on November 17th when they are at their peak. Weather dependent of course but they are to be quite the show this year, but we'l wait and see. Try getting outside and turning all internal/external light sources off so your eyes can adapt properly... makes for quite a show!

Wow... so they are out there....
    Just gotta keep looking i guess.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Yes, just go out and look, especially over the next 10 days or so, with the Leonids peak coming up. For most showers, even as much as 2 weeks either side of the peak you will see some activity more than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Any time thats best to look for these or will they be visible all night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have just seen 6 in a half hour dog walk. Three could of been early Leonids as they were from that direction but the other three were scattered.

When is Leonid peak ?

I let the dog out every night to do his dog stuff.
    I live in the country and always look up while waiting for the dog...
    I might out a jacket on and stay out longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 simoener

The peak is in the night of the 17th to 18th.
    I saw 3 shootings stars within 5 min in the countryside in September. Was quite lucky caus all the other people I was with didn't even though they stared much longer than me.
    And all my three wishes came true :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 wexgreen

Yeah definately noticing them increasing... even last night just popped out for 20mins and saw three and had my head in star charts for most of that time so its getting better. Hopefully weather will be good for the 17th.

3 last night Wexgreen??

I hope you guys arent winding me up?? Lol
    Am i looking at the wrong part of the night sky?
    Even the dog thinks ive gone mad.

On a serious note its been years since ive seen one, i dont really look out for them but i have been lately looking upwards with the hope.
    Thanks all for the info.
    Time to wrap up warm and get out.
    Is there a perticular time you would see one? or is it at any time once its dark? (really stupid question i know but..)
    Thanks again
    Steoc

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

steoc wrote: »
    3 last night Wexgreen??

I hope you guys arent winding me up?? Lol
    Am i looking at the wrong part of the night sky?
    Even the dog thinks ive gone mad.

On a serious note its been years since ive seen one, i dont really look out for them but i have been lately looking upwards with the hope.
    Thanks all for the info.
    Time to wrap up warm and get out.
    Is there a perticular time you would see one? or is it at any time once its dark? (really stupid question i know but..)
    Thanks again
    Steoc

no particular time is best as they are as random as can be. but your chances of seeing one will definitely improve around meteor shower peak days. as mentioned before the leonid shower is coming up soon and increased activity from same should already have started. although considering the weather i'm looking at at the moment!!:( anyway good luck and clear skies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Yes!

Just saw one 10 minutes ago. Howth, straight up, heading south 20/30 degrees parallel-ish to the right of Orion.

Keep your eyes up and open!

Did'nt even look up last night weather was soo bad. :o
    Cant wait for next clear night sky. Going to set me self up in the garden with a flask and heavy coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

i normally see them when out walking the dogs about 6.15am, looking in a south wesrerly direction. Only one so far this week. Wife thinks i'm having her on, cos she never sees them, even though she's walking right beside me. On another note Steoc, it is a good idea anyway to hop out with the dog when they're outside doing the business, in case there's any wildlife wandering around the garden - had to separate mine from a badger once!

i normally see them when out walking the dogs about 6.15am, looking in a south wesrerly direction. Only one so far this week. Wife thinks i'm having her on, cos she never sees them, even though she's walking right beside me. On another note Steoc, it is a good idea anyway to hop out with the dog when they're outside doing the business, in case there's any wildlife wandering around the garden - had to separate mine from a badger once!

Still no sign here either.
    6:15 am is a bit early for me to be dog walking.
    I usually look up around 10 ish.
    Im allways out with the dog... he got a field mouse the other evening.I think he ate it... yuck.
    Anyway just gotta keep looking i guess.
    cheers
    Steoc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I saw a really good one about 2 months ago. I was driving (motorbike) at night and clearly saw one through the visor in my helmet while I was driving. I could see it break up a little towards the end. At the brightest point the light from it lit up the smoke trail from where it entered the atmosphere. It burned up completely.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    I saw a really good one about 2 months ago. I was driving (motorbike) at night and clearly saw one through the visor in my helmet while I was driving. I could see it break up a little towards the end. At the brightest point the light from it lit up the smoke trail from where it entered the atmosphere. It burned up completely.

Wow so Jealous... Sounds like something from a movie....
    Anyway had a good look out last night and nadda... and had a good clear sky.
    Might start letting the dog out the front door for a change of view.

Advertisement