Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking about buying a new PC

• 09-11-2009 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi guys,

i'm thinking about buying a new PC from Dell, what do ye think of the specs of this one?

Inspiron 545 Minitower with Black Bezel
    COLOUR CHOICE Piano Black
    PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q8300 Processor (2.50GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
    OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English - (Does not include Microsoft® Word)
    HARDWARE SUPPORT 1 year of coverage included with your PC
    PROTECT YOUR NEW PC No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English
    Dell IN2010N 20” Widescreen Consumer Flat Panel Monitor - UK
    MEMORY 6144MB Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz [2x2048 + 2x1024] Memory
    HARD DRIVE 640GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    GRAPHICS CARD Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
    OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/- RW Drive (DVD & CD read and write) and 16x DVD-ROM Drive (DVD & CD read)
    KEYBOARD Dell™ USB Entry Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    MOUSE Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse - Black
    Integrated Channel High Definition Audio
    SPEAKERS No Speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
    FLOPPY/MEDIA DRIVES 19-in-1 Media Card reader
    MODEMS No Modem

806 Euro it works out at.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

What do you wanna do with it?

If you want to play games a bit more advanced than solitaire, you won't be able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

PAU wrote: »
    GRAPHICS CARD Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
    This is the only major stumbling block.
    (Though €806 is kinda on the high side...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pisteoff

How about a mac? I got one during the summer and really like it. It was a bit on the pricey side though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pisteoff

Came across this earlier - it discussed the mac v pc debate http://www.uchoose.ie/share-article/Does-apple-have-more-bite-than-the-average-pc-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭PAU

I'll stay away from the Mac, but thanks anyway,I don't want the pc for games but I do want a really good PC, the price is a bit dear though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Good PC means higher price. As has been said, the video chip is the low point on that spec. However, if you don't play games on your PC, it won't matter much.

You could probably drop the RAM to 4Gb and save a bit of cash there. Also, do you really need two optical drives?

I'm assuming that you have speakers already.

Probably don't need 2 optical drives really, strange that Dell dont do Dual layer drives though.

That's a good point. You should be able to buy one cheaply from elsewhere. I got a Sony one years ago for less than €30.

I suppose I could drop down to 4gb, would the extra 2 gb make that much of a difference?

According to Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/system-requirements.aspx Windows 7 64-bit needs 2Gb of RAM minimum. 4Gb should be enough. Having said that, at least a 64-bit OS will use more than that and if you can get it for a decent price, then do so.

My real concerns are that you've now got all four banks filled and two of those are with 1Gb DIMMs. If at some point in the future you want to upgrade, then you'll have to remove them.

If you save money by going with 4Gb, then I would do so. Upgrading later should be cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

fancy building? Here's an example of how far your money could go if you self built:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Box, Sockel AM3 139,22 €
    ASUS M4A79XTD EVO, Sockel AM3, ATX 88,61 €
    4GB-Kit GEIL Value PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 CL9 78,81 €
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB, SATA II (HD502HJ) 40,94 €
    Antec Three Hundred 44,86 €
    Corsair VX550W 550 Watt 67,57 €
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283, Sockel 939/AM2,775 23,61 €
    XFX RADEON HD 4870 1.0 GB DDR5 PCI-E 2.0 116,31 €
    Total:
    599,93 €

that leaves €200 for a Monitor/OS/peripherals, which is about right. Bit more bang for buck there than the Dell.

Bit more bang for buck there than the Dell.
    He's right. And you'll have more fun too.

Advertisement