Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aylward Messes up

Options
  • 09-11-2009 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Aylward driving-test responses 'faster after drinks'

09/11/2009 - 08:10:35
    A Fianna Fáil TD has taken a simulated driving test in which his response times were faster after a few drinks.

However, Bobby Aylward says the simulated driving tests he took do not represent the complexity of driving a real car.

It follows a claim by FF's Mattie McGrath on Newstalk Radio that people feel more relaxed behind the wheel after a drink and therefore drive better

Transport Minister Noel Dempsey recently sparked controversy when he proposed to lower the legal blood-alcohol limit.

Mr Aylward said that "knowing you are about to brake as part of an exercise" cannot reflect the true nature of being behind the wheel of a real car.

Who elected him?? This guy is representing Kilkenny(/Carlow) and coming out with idiotic statements like this. I will be emailing his constituency office with my disgust later in the day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

....coming out with idiotic statements like this

Idiotic statements like what?
    the simulated driving tests he took do not represent the complexity of driving a real car.
    I would agree with that.
    "knowing you are about to brake as part of an exercise" cannot reflect the true nature of being behind the wheel of a real car.
    I would also agree with that.

His statements are fairly sound are they not?

The 'tests' are rubbish and totally unnecessary. Even people who drink and drive will concede that it affects both judgement and response time. There's no arguement here.

The only person who apparently refutes this widely proven and accepted fact is Mattie McGrath, who is the one who deserves to be run over by a "relaxed" driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Idiotic statements like what?

+ 1 I don't see anything idiotic - he stated a fact that his response times were faster after a few drinks in a simulated driving test and then states the simulated driving tests he took do not represent the complexity of driving a real car. How is that idiotic? He can't lie about the response times recorded in the test but even though they were faster he doesn't agree with McGrath's idiotic statement that people feel more relaxed behind the wheel after a drink and drive better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ztoical wrote: »
    + 1 I don't see anything idiotic - he stated a fact that his response times were faster after a few drinks in a simulated driving test and then states the simulated driving tests he took do not represent the complexity of driving a real car. How is that idiotic? He can't lie about the response times recorded in the test but even though they were faster he doesn't agree with McGrath's idiotic statement that people feel more relaxed behind the wheel after a drink and drive better.

He also said he knew he was going to break, which is obviously going to effect his reflexes. No I think he was spot on there, no messing up at all on his part.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

"Over two pints of Guinness, Aylward explained his opposition to Noel Dempsey’s proposals. “The new law will be bad for law-abiding people in rural Ireland,” he said. “Isolation is a problem and if some people can’t drive from their homes to have a drink, then they’ll never come out"

So it's ok to have a drink and drive for 'law-abiding' people in 'rural' Ireland?

Verging on idiotic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Doffaldinho

I like this guy, When I was in the Dail he bought me a cup of tea and a snack bar. He can drink drive as much as he wants in my opinion because I loves me some snack bars and tea.

Seriously though he's a funny chap lol was probably taking the mick or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just offer my opinion on him; total waste of space and bogmen with very little constructive to offer. I think it's safe to say this man will never be Taoiseach or anything of any consequence. The mind boggles as to why people vote for him. We need jobs and investment in KK/Carlow. No danger he would say anyhting relevant there. I couldn't care less what he thinks of drink driving or such like. More in his line to press to get that M9 open ASAP and investment into the area he supposedly reps...my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭trevm

mfitzy wrote: »
    Just offer my opinion on him; total waste of space and bogmen with very little constructive to offer. I think it's safe to say this man will never be Taoiseach or anything of any consequence. The mind boggles as to why people vote for him. We need jobs and investment in KK/Carlow. No danger he would say anyhting relevant there. I couldn't care less what he thinks of drink driving or such like. More in his line to press to get that M9 open ASAP and investment into the area he supposedly reps...my two cents.

"Yawn"...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

trevm wrote: »
    "Yawn"...

Jeees wow you really short down my argument there, go I'm convinced now Alyward is a wonderful, articulate politician :rolleyes:

Advertisement