Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG reveal that FF/Greens have still not costed Programme for Government

Options
  • 09-11-2009 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

http://www.finegael.org/news/a/1554/article
    Following a series of parliamentary questions asked by Fine Gael Enterprise Spokesman Leo Varadkar TD, Finance Minister Brian Lenihan has confirmed that the revised Programme for Government was not costed by his Department.

Deputy Varadkar said this revelation adds further doubt to the capacity of the current Government to weather the economic storm and deliver on its much curtailed commitments.

“I asked the Minister for Finance four simple questions:
    • The cost of the Programme for Government;
    • What consultation took place with his Department on the cost;
    • A breakdown of individual costings by commitment;
    • And whether they were consistent with the Government’s budgetary strategy.

“The Minister chose to answer all the questions together. His response was telling, as he confirmed that the overall cost of the Programme for Government has not been calculated and that specific commitments would only be costed on Budget day on a year-to-year basis.

“The Minister’s admission is truly remarkable. Political parties are pilloried if they produce policy documents or election manifestos that have been not costed. It’s now very clear that the Programme for Government agreed by Fianna Fáil and the Greens was prepared on the back of an envelope, in a style reminiscent of the botched decentralisation programme and the promise of medical cards to everyone over 70.

“This revelation raises doubts about the commitments made in the Programme for Government on education, social welfare and taxation. This is not a Programme for Government at all. It's a list of capitulations by Fianna Fáil to the Green Party to get them through their party convention. Now that has been done, the document is already in the bin.

“Major decisions must be made now to repair the public finances, restore competitiveness and employment growth, transform public services and renew politics. The Fianna Fáil/Green coalition has no mandate to do this, and they don’t have a programme either. It’s high time they moved aside for a new Fine Gael government that will achieve these goals.”

===============================================================

If that doesn't smell of desperation to retain power, I don't know what does.
    Clearly FF & The Greens know that they won't see power for a long time after the ruin they've brought upon us.
    They'll do or say anything to stay in power.
    No wonder Lenihan is eating garlic, Cowen is probably trying to drink his blood.

To be honest, this goes well beyond inexcusable, it should be a criminal offence of some sort. Why are the dummies at the ECB continuing to tolerate this?

I find ICTU's and the various trade unions stance on public sector cuts to be unacceptable. But honestly, now anyway, could you really blame them?

This is what we, the Irish electorate, are up against.
    I didn't vote for Fianna Fail at the last election. None the less, those who did, I'm sure they didn't vote for this.

We need a GE.
    How much more is needed? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    It’s high time they moved aside for a new Fine Gael government that will achieve these goals.”
    When you have the likes of Richard Bruton refusing to vote against NAMA, I'm not sure what credibility FG would have to form a new government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

the Greens have sold out on their principles in order to stay in power and keep the currency government in power

as i calculated in another thread, for the price of NAMA we could afford to blanket the country in 40,000 windmills providing 7x times our energy requirements from renewable power, goddamn greens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    the Greens have sold out on their principles in order to stay in power and keep the currency government in power

as i calculated in another thread, for the price of NAMA we could afford to blanket the country in 40,000 windmills providing 7x times our energy requirements from renewable power, goddamn greens

Just curious how much space would 40,000 windmills take up??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Just curious how much space would 40,000 windmills take up??

20,000 acres :eek: or 80 square kilometers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    20,000 acres :eek: or 80 square kilometers...
    And you can still use most of that land for agriculture anyway, since the footprint of them at ground level is so small.

• Advertisement
Advertisement