Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is darren Flecther becoming the best midfielder in the esl

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

tdv wrote: »
    Well thats just based on goals neither of them are in there teams for there goalscoring abilities. And still Essien has 4 more goals than him in less games aswell so I dont see the point in these stats if your arguing for Fletcher

Thats the point I was making!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I was delighted when I saw that Fletcher wouldn't be playing against Liverpool a few weeks back.

And that's all I have to say on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

"is Darren Fletcher becoming the best midfielder in the premier league?"

Glad to see nobody is getting carried away considering only 12 games have been played so far this year.:rolleyes:

Anyway, Darren Fletcher??? I thought Andy Reid was becoming the best midfielder in the world, never mind the premier league!! These boards confuse me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Every team needs a Fletcher/defensive type. The fact that United have no other player like him makes him important to them. And as United are so high profile his absence is highlighted and his presence also highlighted when he comes back after injury.
    I don't think he's too much better than other players of his ilk, although he does his role well for United and is much more noticeable against better players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

As a Liverpool fan, I would have to say there is some strength to the argument that Fletcher is better than Mascherano and Barry. I think maybe it's an argument that can't be settled now, and would have to be reassessed at the end of the season, but it's not as ridiculous a claim as some might think.

Not sure if this argument is relevant to the OP anyway, but to reiterate Fletcher is not the best midfielder in the Premiership nor will he ever be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

As a MU fan still the answer is no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Rondolfus wrote: »
    "is Darren Fletcher becoming the best midfielder in the premier league?"

Glad to see nobody is getting carried away considering only 12 games have been played so far this year.:rolleyes:

Anyway, Darren Fletcher??? I thought Andy Reid was becoming the best midfielder in the world, never mind the premier league!! These boards confuse me!

Well the premier league has been around longer then 12 games.

Fletcher has been playing very well for the last few years and Andy Reid eventually decided to drop the weight and is now see the rewards for doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

No not just the EPL but the best midfielder ever. Fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

This thread has given me a laugh if nothing else, I love how some people are basically eliminating every other midfielder in the league to boost Fletcher up the list.

Gerrard- "Oh he's a forward now"

Fabragas- "Too attacking"

Lampard- "Too Attacking"

Mascherano- "Too defensive"

Barry- "Are you kidding, not even in the same league as the mighty Fletch"

So basically we've deducted that; Darren Fletcher is the best midfielder in the league not counting midfielders that aren't Darren Fletcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Boggles wrote: »
    WTF? :confused::confused:

Well, by your rational, most teams only start games with two midfielders on the pitch, no?

Yes as a support striker?

What exactly are you arguing?

To be honest, most people call it a midfielder playing in the hole or an attacking midfielder making runs from deep or whatever - in fact just about everyone in the world does except you. Anyway, forget it, Gerrard's a striker, whatever.

Nothing to do with his record, you said he would need someone to do his attacking for him, I stated he is well able to attack and get on the score sheet.

And Lampard's well able to tackle and track back, what's your original point then?

Don't bother replying to this BTW. You've just become the first person ever in four years here I've added to my ignore list. Really, your irrationality and search for an argument knows no bounds.

I mean, it figures you spend far more time in Liverpool threads than Man U ones. However, now we're in a Man U thread and you start arguing that one of the most recognised midfielders in the world, who happens to play for ... surprise ... spurprise ... Liverpool, actually isn't a midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

gosplan wrote: »
    You've just become the first person ever in four years here I've added to my ignore list.

Thank Fook.
    This thread has given me a laugh if nothing else, I love how some people are basically eliminating every other midfielder in the league to boost Fletcher up the list.

Gerrard- "Oh he's a forward now"

Fabragas- "Too attacking"

Lampard- "Too Attacking"

Mascherano- "Too defensive"

Barry- "Are you kidding, not even in the same league as the mighty Fletch"

So basically we've deducted that; Darren Fletcher is the best midfielder in the league not counting midfielders that aren't Darren Fletcher.

:confused:

Not one person on the thread has said Fletcher is the best midfielder in the league??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Right now, he isn't even the best defensive midfielder for United. Hargreaves is still a superior player.

Fletcher however is developing nicely, and now a very good player who is probably earning his place in the first 11 of a top 4 club. Usual standard being that I'm pretty sure he'd walk into any team outside of the top 4.

However he's still got a lot to go. Hargreaves is better than him, so is Mascherano and Essien. However, that's not a bad position to be in, especially since people have been writing him off for about 4-5 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This happens all the time.
    Means you have arrived and people think your a top player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Is darren Flecther becoming the best midfielder in the esl

Yes the above is the title of the thread. It is a closed question, ie it is a Yes or No answer. It is not up for debate.

The correct answer is No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the funniest thread in ages.

flecther has been a machine for the last 2 years, fulfilling the role given almost perfectly. he is utd's most important midfielder by a long way.

not in the same class as those midfielders mentioned.

but he is damn good at what he does.

he has quality, obviously, but he's not the cleanest tackler in the world yet adequate, not the best dribbler or shot in the world yet adequate.

however, his dedication, application and passion give him an edge to his game many don't have. this, imo, is what has made him reach the level he's reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Morzadec wrote: »
    As a Liverpool fan, I would have to say there is some strength to the argument that Fletcher is better than Mascherano and Barry. I think maybe it's an argument that can't be settled now, and would have to be reassessed at the end of the season, but it's not as ridiculous a claim as some might think.

Not sure if this argument is relevant to the OP anyway, but to reiterate Fletcher is not the best midfielder in the Premiership nor will he ever be.

Barry wouldnt lace their boots boy.Fletcher is nowhere near the best in the pl but hes very good.Better than mascherano going forward and miles ahead of barry defensively.Hel never have the creativity to be one of the best but most clubs would now have him in their team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

No way

this is a lethargic start.

the passing isn't quick enough, and the movement isn't sharp enough.

brum are pressuring the ball quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

SlickRic wrote: »

Pool could definitely do with a Darren Fletcher. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

SlickRic wrote: »

Are you lost?:)

The Muppet wrote: »
    Are you lost?:)

yeah i actually got lost twice, but i deleted the second post.

not sure what the f***'s happening.

i blame rafa.

why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

I wouldnt be stupid enough to say hes the best in the EPL as there are obviously better players ahead of him but he is improving all the time and there are very few players in the league that get the better of him or dominate a game that he is playing against them. As a UTD fan i definitely breathe easier when i see his name on the teamsheet. He still has a way to go but if he keeps improving the way he is then he could go on to be as important to UTD as Keane was in a couple of years - i know ill prob be shot down for that comment but you cant fault the boys heart, commitment and increasingly his overall play. He never hides during the big games. He is definitely the most improved player in the EPL over the past couple of years.

Advertisement