Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinchilla Bedding

Options
  • 09-11-2009 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Just looking for a bit of help from other Chinchilla owners. I got one yesterday, I asked the shop keeper about bedding and he said he does't need any. Is this correct, do you not use bedding like you would for hamsters like fur, hay, paper or something else.

Also the shop keeper said to use aspen for the bottom of the cage. Can sawdust be used too?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

I have mine on a wire base so the poops & pee fall straight through to avoid staining the coat - they have a bed & a huge pile of nice hay that they will eat & sleep on. Give the chins a sand bath every other day for 15-20 mins to keep their coats in tip top condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Thanks, should I only put the Sand bath in for a while a day? The store said to leave it in but one of the other stores said to put it in in the morning for a while and then again in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

You can leave the sand in - but the chins will then use it as a toilet so you have to buy more sand - 20 mins a day is good & you can easily sieve the sand to remove any debris.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Thanks, will take it out and only put it in for a while a day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement