Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tallaght v Coolmine

• 09-11-2009 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

What a wet, mucky and very though game.

It is not the sharpest of photos, I was really struggling with the weather conditions.

4089373888_44f4e62d1c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Looks as though it wasn't too dark on the day.
    What shutter speed did you set? I'd guess you were shooting 1/250 or so.
    You would probably get away with bumping up the iso a bit in order to get a shutter speed of 1/500 - which is what you will need to freeze the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

It was 1/200 ISO only 600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Ah, bump up that ISO. ISO 800 if needed, to get a fast enough shutter speed. Other than that, a faster lens might need to be added to your Christmas list. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭petercox

Yep - better to have a sharp but noisy photo than a clean but blurry one.

Most SLRs these days will handle up to ISO 1600 without breaking too much of a sweat.

In terms of composition, if you could have included all of the player on the left of the frame, that would have helped a lot - and it would have gotten rid of the distracting part of a player in the lower right.

Sports photography ain't easy, but the harder you try, the better you get.

Cheers,
    Peter

Thanks for the comments.

Paul will you stop poor Declan will be having a heart attack I am already wishing for a 7D :)

• Advertisement

Well ... the 7D will handle high ISO better.

The 70-200mm f/2.8 will be better in darker times.

So, if you get both, you'll be sorted. :D

I would nearly recommend the better lens though, before you go for the next body. Tough choice though.

Yes, generally the lens is the better choice, unless the body is really old.

The lens will give you sharper images - and if you get the f/2.8 version much better background blur (it's a little too sharp in this image for my taste).

What's the camera body you're using right now?

Cheers,
    Peter

Here is one from the earlier match on Saturday Tallaght B v Bective.

4088774319_856b74fbfe.jpg

Paul after meeting with you in Santry the following week I bought the Sigma 70-200 F2.8.

Peter I am using a 1000D as said I would really like the 7D but hubby just back to work after being made redundant 7.5 months ago so maybe after Christmas :)

Eeyore -
    I'd resist the urge to spend more on the camera unless you feel it's holding you back. Your 1000D is very capable, but it doesn't have a terribly fast shooting rate. If sports is your thing, then maybe the 7D would be a worthwhile investment. If you only do it every now and then, hold off.

You're much better off investing in your own skills and abilities now that you have a decent lens - that will give you far more bang for your buck than equipment will.

Drop me a line at the number below if you'd like some advice.

Cheers,
    Peter

• Advertisement

Thanks Peter. I do the pictures for Tallaght Rugby club which is keeping me very busy at the moment with 2 teams this year in the J4 league.

Rugby is only one of the areas I want to get into, I love also anything got to do with Animals wildlife and pets but at the moment that area has been forgotten about as I don't have the time. Have also been in town one night and quite enjoy doing a bit of night photography so would like to get out a bit more doing that too.

Sounds like you could use a faster camera then. Have you considered the 40D? It's a bit faster than the newer 50D and is a lot cheaper now that it's been replaced.

The 7D isn't hugely faster - 8fps over 6.5fps - and you'll send a lot less on the 40D.

Cheers,
    Peter

Since you have the Sigma, I guess a new body is the way to go.

But, don't be afraid to bump up the ISO, when needed, to get a faster shutter speed.

Will try bumping up the ISO this weekend and see how it goes.

Thanks guys.

Advertisement