Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tower Records Wicklow Street Royal Ripoff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭RaoulDukeHST

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    You can pick up reasonable priced sennheiser in Currys.

I was actually looking at Sennheiser headphones in tower yesterday. Play.com seems to have the same Sennheiser CX300 II in Eco packaging for €30 less than Tower.
    http://bit.ly/2Ksjrh

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I love Tower Records. Especially the Eason's branch. Very friendly and informed staff. They are a bit more expensive on certain items but you can find great bargains in there too.
    They are one of the few Irish owned record shops left and I like buying Irish.
    And no, I don't work for Tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CopperFinger

littlejp wrote: »
    I love Tower Records. Especially the Eason's branch. Very friendly and informed staff.
    Not them all in my experience, (and the PMs).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Another example this week.

Tower Records
    Kill Bill 1 BD €29.99
    Kill Bill 2 BD €29.99
    Sin City BD €29.99
    Total €89.97

HMV Henry Street
    Kill Bill 1 BD + Kill Bill 2 BD + Sin City BD
    Total €29.99

Tower Guilty as charged ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Another example of something that belongs in bargain alerts, and already is.
    grimm2005 wrote: »
    Entertainment: Kill Bill Vol.1&2/Sin City Bluray Boxset - €29.99
    saw this the other day in hmv on henry st. Brilliant price for brick and mortor shop. It'd cost about that much on amazon when you factor in delivery (£23, just shy of the £25 free delivery).

Didn't buy it myself, although must admit i'm quite tempted, may pop in and get it tomorrow. Seen a bit of sin city in hd also and it looks incredible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Tower Records
    Kill Bill 1 BD €29.99
    Kill Bill 2 BD €29.99
    Sin City BD €29.99
    Total €89.97

HMV Henry Street
    Total €29.99

Tower Guilty as charged ;)

HMV sounds like a special deal. Thats hardly a fair comparision.

I was actually looking at Sennheiser headphones in tower yesterday. Play.com seems to have the same Sennheiser CX300 II in Eco packaging for €30 less than Tower.
    http://bit.ly/2Ksjrh

Wow. Do you think that happens much, the web being cheaper than the high street?

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    You can pick up reasonable priced sennheiser in Currys.

Thanks. Never thought of looking in there. Not a shop I usually go into, as its not on my usual route.

BostonB wrote: »
    HMV sounds like a special deal. Thats hardly a fair comparision.

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head. When do Tower ever do special offers on Blu-Ray?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Tower Records has ALWAYS been expensive. Nothing new there.
    +1
    Good for a browse, not for buying.

• Advertisement

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head. When do Tower ever do special offers on Blu-Ray?

No idea don't use it. Are you saying they never have special offers or sales. Just Blu -Ray seems a very narrow criteria.

No idea don't use it. Are you saying they never have special offers or sales. Just Blu -Ray seems a very narrow criteria.
    I don't buy CDs or DVDs any more. I don't buy posters nor novety cups. The only thing that I would have any interest in is Blu-Ray. So forgive me for not trawling the CD box set section looking for verification that there actually is bargains in Tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭RaoulDukeHST

Wow. Do you think that happens much, the web being cheaper than the high street?
    Agreed but over a 100% mark up on online retail price?

I don't buy CDs or DVDs any more. I don't buy posters nor novety cups. The only thing that I would have any interest in is Blu-Ray. So forgive me for not trawling the CD box set section looking for verification that there actually is bargains in Tower.

I don't trawl the shops looking for Blu-Ray or burlesque pencil sharpers, and lunch boxes. So likewise forgive me about not knowing about them either...

You get that walking 50m down the street. I'm not surprised about the web.

I don't trawl the shops looking for Blu-Ray or burlesque pencil sharpers, and lunch boxes. So likewise forgive me about not knowing about them either...
    So what is your point? I get 1000 manacs point, but what is yours?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

jahalpin wrote: »
    If you bought the boxset from play.com you would have to pay VAT and duty and An Post service charge on top of the price which would bring the price to around 55 euro.

A 5 euro price difference can be explained by the additional costs of very high rent, rates, wage costs, public liability insurance etc.

I think Tower offer student discounts which is around 10%

Late reply I know but I thought I would put you straight on this. There is no VAT/Duty/'An Post service charge' (I'm not even sure what that is!) on items bought from Play.com. The price you are charged on your CC is the price you pay as it's within the EU.

Yes, very often, especially if you go in search of the most expensive retail shop you can find to over-emphasis your "saving", when really you are only fooling yourself.

In the recent post he found a boxset on sale, already in bargain alerts as being a very good price, a BOXSET, now he compares them to what I imagine are individual blu rays in tower, not on offer, not in a set. I expect you could find something on offer in tower which is full price in HMV.
    Tower Records
    Kill Bill 1 BD €29.99
    Kill Bill 2 BD €29.99
    Sin City BD €29.99
    Total €89.97

HMV Henry Street
    Total €29.99

I could just as easily say
    Dunnes
    snickers 90cent
    snickers 90cent
    snickers 90cent
    snickers 90cent
    snickers 90cent
    snickers 90cent
    snickers 90cent
    total €6.30
    supervalu
    "box set" 7 snickers €2.
    total €2

what a ripoff....

SteM wrote: »
    items bought from Play.com. The price you are charged on your CC is the price you pay as it's within the EU.
    Play ship the majority of items from Jersey (not in the EU)

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, very often, especially if you go in search of the most expensive retail shop you can find to over-emphasis your "saving", when really you are only fooling yourself.

In the recent post he found a boxset on sale, already in bargain alerts as being a very good price, a BOXSET, now he compares them to what I imagine are individual blu rays in tower, not on offer, not in a set. I expect you could find something on offer in tower which is full price in HMV.

I could just as easily say
    Dunnes
    snickers 90cent
    snickers 90cent
    snickers 90cent
    snickers 90cent
    snickers 90cent
    snickers 90cent
    snickers 90cent
    total €6.30
    supervalu
    "box set" 7 snickers €2.
    total €2

what a ripoff....
    But what he is obviously saying is Where are Tower's good value Blu-Ray box sets? Also, why are they still selling most of their Blu-Rays for EUR29.99?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

SteM wrote: »
    Late reply I know but I thought I would put you straight on this. There is no VAT/Duty/'An Post service charge' (I'm not even sure what that is!) on items bought from Play.com. The price you are charged on your CC is the price you pay as it's within the EU.

Play ship their items from Jersey which is outside the EU, so items over a certain value (I believe its €21 euro but I'm open to correction) are liable for VAT + service charge*

*The service charge is a charge you pay the handler (An-Post, Fedex etc) for filing out the appropriate forms and paying the VAT on your behalf for the goods you have just imported.

Edit: Beaten by rubadub!

But what he is obviously saying is Where are Tower's good value Blu-Ray box sets? Also, why are they still selling most of their Blu-Rays for EUR29.99?

Their top 20 isn't made up of mostly that price. Though its not clear if their blu-ray top 20 is DVD's or Blu-rays.

If this HMV offer is not unusual how is it news worthy in bargain alerts?

So what is your point? I get 1000 manacs point, but what is yours?:rolleyes:

It makes no sense, to call a shop a rip off, when a special offer on a boxset is cheaper than buying each item seperately, but admit you have no idea about prices in general in the shop.

Maybe it is a rip off. But that example doesn't demonstrate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Mataguri wrote: »
    Play ship their items from Jersey which is outside the EU, so items over a certain value (I believe its €21 euro but I'm open to correction) are liable for VAT + service charge*

*The service charge is a charge you pay the handler (An-Post, Fedex etc) for filing out the appropriate forms and paying the VAT on your behalf for the goods you have just imported.

Edit: Beaten by rubadub!
    I've never paid anything extra for stuff I've ordered from Play and I've been ordering from them regularly over the past seven years. Having said that, I get most of their more expensive stuff (computer stuff or electronics) delivered to my address in the six counties.

Having said that, if you order a whole load of CDs or suchlike, they tend to treat each CD as a separate order, probably to avoid the situation that you describe above. I stopped buying DVDs years ago and haven't as much as rented a Bluray yet (not until my new laptop arrives).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

simply put tower is one of the few music i enjoy shopping in shops you can easily kill an hour strolling around.

while some things are expensive a lot are on par and some are cheaper.

if you want to watse the shoe soles and do a lap of dublin to find a cd for €2 cheaper fell free too. Just dont piss and moan on the internet about it.

granted this started about blu-ray/dvd but anyone who buys them regullarly knows that the price difference can be huge from one shop to another.

I do remeber them being the only shop at the time to sell the new repackaged ACDC cd's at less than a tenner . I also completed my Bob dylan collection with some great 3 for a £10 offers.

the staff are sound, they sell pretty much everyhting and arent dicks about ordering in stuff. they also dont look at you as if you have two heads cause you want to order something they dont recognise.

combine that with there support for up and coming music or music less "mainstream" means i will always pop in for a browse when im in town.

eoinf wrote: »

if you want to watse the shoe soles and do a lap of dublin to find a cd for €2 cheaper fell free too. Just dont piss and moan on the internet about it.
    Do you remember what this forum is called?:D
    It is exactly for people who want to "piss and moan":rolleyes: about prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Do you have a specific hatred for Tower or something? We've established that they don't have a great range of Blurays, and what they do have are overpriced. It has also been established that a great many users here, including myself, have purchased things in Tower at lower cost than other high street and indy stores.

By the way, I take issue with your use of the term 'till-grunt'. Part of my job (part time, I'm a student) requires me to operate a till, and I'm always friendly and helpful. As for your claim of 'the customer is always right', well, you clearly haven't worked retail. Whoever said that the customer 'is rarely right, but still the customer' was bang on. I'll go out of my way to explain something to a customer, but if they aggressively push their incorrect opinion/argument, I'll tell them in no unclear terms that they're wrong/being unreasonable (that last bit is specific to a photo lab/camera shop for me, but applies in general to other jobs I'm sure)

Also, posting a smug "A-HA! they did it again!" message makes you seem petty. Anyone can find something that seems disproportionately expensive in ANY store if they go looking for it. If I had any interest in engaging you in this, I'd hop into Tower on the way home and find a CD with a lower sticker price than it had in HMV.

And I bet I wouldn't have any problem finding it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

I've never paid anything extra for stuff I've ordered from Play and I've been ordering from them regularly over the past seven years. Having said that, I get most of their more expensive stuff (computer stuff or electronics) delivered to my address in the six counties.

Having said that, if you order a whole load of CDs or suchlike, they tend to treat each CD as a separate order, probably to avoid the situation that you describe above. I stopped buying DVDs years ago and haven't as much as rented a Bluray yet (not until my new laptop arrives).

I've also bought lots of stuff, boxsets etc way over €21 and never been asked to pay anything extra.

And what I am obviously saying is that it is unfair to compare indivdual bars in dunnes to 7 packs in supervalu, "where are dunne's good value items".
    Anyone can find something that seems disproportionately expensive in ANY store if they go looking for it.
    +1
    Do you remember what this forum is called?:D
    It is exactly for people who want to "piss and moan":rolleyes: about prices.
    Most are more suited to the Ranting & Raving forum
    Where the rules state nobody can challenge you about your irrational rant.

• Advertisement

Do you have a specific hatred for Tower or something? We've established that they don't have a great range of Blurays, and what they do have are overpriced. It has also been established that a great many users here, including myself, have purchased things in Tower at lower cost than other high street and indy stores.

By the way, I take issue with your use of the term 'till-grunt'. Part of my job requires me to operate a till, and I'm always friendly and helpful. As for your claim of 'the customer is always right', well, you clearly haven't worked retail. Whoever said that the customer 'is rarely right, but still the customer' was bang on. I'll go out of my way to explain something to a customer, but if they aggressively push their incorrect opinion/argument, I'll tell them in no unclear terms that they're wrong/being unreasonable (that last bit is specific to a photo lab/camera shop for me, but applies in general to other jobs I'm sure)

Also, posting a smug "A-HA! they did it again!" message makes you seem petty. Anyone can find something that seems disproportionately expensive in ANY store if they go looking for it. If I had any interest in engaging you in this, I'd hop into Tower on the way home and find a CD with a lower sticker price than it had in HMV.

And I bet I wouldn't have any problem finding it either.

There are two percieved issues here.
    The first is the blatent overpricing of Blu-Rays in Tower which the PM is spot on about, and which is a fact, I actually decided to check this out for myself two weekends ago.
    The second issue is the Till Grunt comment. OK, he was calling the particular guy with whom he was dealing with in Tower a till grunt, not every shop assistant in the country. Maybe he could have been a little more sympathetic. But rude shop assistants are one of my pet hates too.
    There needs to be a small bit of perspective on this forum. It is in fact the Rip Off Ireland forum.

Advertisement