Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Role of Philosophy in Everyday Life (Philosophy Talk)

• 09-11-2009 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hey, if anyone's interested the UCD Philosophy Society are having a debate tomorrow (Tuesday) on the nature of philosophy and its role in the academic and non-academic world.

Debate: 'The Sweep and the Philosopher' (RTÉ recording)
    Theatre Q Newman Bldg (Arts Block), Tuesday 6.45 pm 10/11/09

Bernard McGuinness left school at 13 and has been a chimney sweep ever since. One day though, he decided his life needed to change and to help him through his crises he picked up a book on philosophy: he maintains that one decision fundamentally changed his life for the better.

Having been called a paradigm of Aristotle's conception of 'the good life', he is one of the few philosophers in Ireland to exist wholly independent of university life.

The Philosophy Society, in association with RTE's Doc on One, proudly presents a discussion between Mr. McGuinness and UCD's Prof. Gerard Casey on the nature and purpose of philosophy in today's world. They will debate the role of the academic and non-academic; the problems of philosophy; and the value and relevance of it for everyday life.

This very special talk will be recorded by RTE for the Doc on One series and will be broadcast on radio 1, 8pm, December 19th 2009.

I figure it raises interesting questions about why we study philosophy, the direction it is taking and the necessity of an academic background for it. The talk is free of course and anyone is welcome to come :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭e04bf099

I hope you'll record the whole thing and put it on youtube. If you do that I'll make a special effort to make the next one as I can't, unfortunately, make this one, and it sounds like it will be stimulating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭simplistic

Id love to here this too please leave a link.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement