Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LIVERPOOL V BIRMINGHAM MATCH THREAD [Mod Warning Post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

mike65 wrote: »
    Did Boggles put the hard earned on 2-2?

I didn't and it's your fault. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

uberwolf wrote: »
    Does no one have comment on how Benetiz got as much space as he did for his goal? Push straight in the back. It goes on, it's cheating, in this game it merely nets off the penalty incident.

As for N'Gogs dive - IMO whilst he dived, it's still a penalty. Carsley impeded his progress (indirect free kick offence) by diving in between him and the ball. N'Gog had nowhere to go, and made the most of it.

Its called zonal marking something liverpool are remarkable at

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Brum defended like beavers, scored 2 legitimate goals, Pool scored one legitimate goal, I dont know why Pool fans feel robbed.

Ya have to convert the chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Ha, just read this on the bbc site
    From DannyJSY on Twitter: "Is NGog going to get the same treatment Eduardo got in August now?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Johner wrote: »
    Brum were lucky not to get thrashed about 7-2. I dont even support Liverpool.
    Luck doesn't really come into it if you manage to defend effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Lee tells it like it is.

Birmingham's Lee Carsley on the penalty incident:
    "It's a joke. I know for a fact I didn't touch him. I think when the referee sees it, he'll be really disappointed. It's an embarrassing case of cheating."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Final Warning, it's an emotive night but anyone who looks to take advantage by throwing in sly digs will be facing a ban from the forum

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You missed his goal then?

No the first one was the goal and tbh im suprised he didnt balloon it over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    I saw Ngog do 2 good things all night and one of them was the lead up to the DIVE

Pretty good night for him really - What would the score had been if he'd done neither, I wonder ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Boggles wrote: »
    I didn't and it's your fault. :(

What were the odds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

As for N'Gogs dive - IMO whilst he dived, it's still a penalty. Carsley impeded his progress (indirect free kick offence) by diving in between him and the ball. N'Gog had nowhere to go, and made the most of it.

Think you might see if a little different if you take off the red tinted glasses.

The lack of striking options for the Pool is the big problem, they need another decent striker badly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You missed his goal then?

Great finish by the way, he got a lot of confidence from the goal against united it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Slash/ED wrote: »
    what

lol I think he's saying if you slide, miss the ball and the player, the opposing player can then fall over you and get a peno/freekick.

Makes loads of sense that!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Johner wrote: »
    Lol at all the United fans saying Brum were robbed.

CSKA werent robbed the other day no? When Utd dominated a game and missed loads of chances they were unlucky but seeing as its Liverpool Brum were robbed.:rolleyes:

Great stuff United fans.

Well.. Pool broke down Birmingham's defense with the blues fighting back allowing them to break it down. Then Birmingham kept fighting and broke the defense by putting in another goal. Thus, Pool failed to use their possession and impact in the Birmingham side of the pitch to score. They were gifted a peno (no questions asked there) in which allowed them to draw. Still unable to crack the whip and score after the goal which should have lifted them. Thus, a poor result for a struggling pool (in both leagues).

United on the other hand actually managed to break down the defense and level up (excluding the OG - which is luck more then being gifted a goal). They fought back after terrible defending that left them concede three goals. Their fighting gave them goals. Pools fighting did not. They have shown they can play well, are not struggling and have proven themselves earlier in the season against said team.

Thus, Birmingham were somewhat robbed as Pool were not going to score until the ref gave them a chance to make even. A chance that was completely out of line. In that sense, it was robbery.

Though, I do feel a draw was a better result if you think about how both teams played.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭budgemook

Reina is terrible when the ball is coming right at him. He just sticks up his hands and it goes right by him.

Lucas shouldn't have been on the pitch for 81 mins as he brought very little.

Kuyt was awful, just awful, as was Yossi.

Once again Johnson is about the only bright light. Why oh why can Liverpool not take their chances???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Luck doesn't really come into it if you manage to defend effectively.

You mean the other team can't hit a ball effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Iang87 wrote: »
    for the love of jesus someone justify why rafa is in a job. Now those liverpool fans who are gonna come defend him. Look at our results for the last 3 months. End of argument, sack him if we're that strapped for cash then i'll pay for his plane ticket to spain

As a United fan I'll pay for the other half. Liverpool are going through a bad patch, but sacking Benitez is most definitely not the answer. However this is a debate for another thread an another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

n'gog should get an internal banning by the club. Idiot.

not sure how we didn't win that to be honest, but here's a couple of reasons:

Kuyt was brutal. Needs to be dropped.
    Benayoun was very quiet.
    Birmingham had a stunning chance to goals ratio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Where United playing tonight or something? Lot of talk about them the last two pages. Anyway ship the draw @ 7/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

carlop wrote: »
    As a United fan I'll pay for the other half. Liverpool are going through a bad patch, but sacking Benitez is most definitely not the answer. However this is a debate for another thread an another day.

as a united fan of course you'd love to keep him in a job. and to the dude who said does last season count. No it doesn't, yes we ran united close however this season is beyond repair another man/woman/child/beast should be brought in to start building there own team this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Didnt see the match as i refuse to pay any more per month for the sky but from the reports on Sky it sounded like Gerrard played a blinder when he came on. How long was he on for and did he show any signs of the injury? Did aqualani play and if so how did he look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

A genuine question here, do you also advocate the same for Gerrard who had an equally bad dive in the last five minutes and has done so repeatedly numerous other times? If not why not? I'm honestly just curious here, not trying to wind up anyone at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Benayoun was very quiet.

I was so disappointed with these two, once again they show they can't perform to the required standard without a fully fit Gerrard and Torres.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

budgemook wrote: »
    Reina is terrible when the ball is coming right at him. He just sticks up his hands and it goes right by him.

Lucas shouldn't have been on the pitch for 81 mins as he brought very little.

Kuyt was awful, just awful, as was Yossi.

Once again Johnson is about the only bright light. Why oh why can Liverpool not take their chances???

Reina is terrible? Not words I expected to see regardless of the example provided after them.

He is a great keeper.

Rob113 wrote: »
    Didnt see the match as i refuse to pay any more per month for the sky but from the reports on Sky it sounded like Gerrard played a blinder when he came on. How long was he on for and did he show any signs of the injury? Did aqualani play and if so how did he look?

They were both brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

on another note i couldn't be anymore ashamed of David Ngog he's a disgrace and a cheat and this will follow him for a long time

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Trilla wrote: »
    What exactly does that mean?

if yo don't know, I'm not going to explain it to you.
    Does no one have comment on how Benetiz got as much space as he did for his goal? Push straight in the back. It goes on, it's cheating, in this game it merely nets off the penalty incident.

I was the only person before you to mention the push. Obviously that won't be replayed 500 times like poor Wes Browns one under the microscope.

As for the rest of your post, it is clearly rubbish. A dive is a dive, and that was a dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I actually thought it was Reinas fault for the second goal. It wasnt stuck in the top corner. It was over his head from 40 odd yards. If there is ever a time to blame a keeper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

what
    Trilla wrote: »
    lol I think he's saying if you slide, miss the ball and the player, the opposing player can then fall over you and get a peno/freekick.

Makes loads of sense that!

just teasing something out tbh.
    Carsley interfered with N'Gogs progress. His intention was to make contact with the ball. He didn't. Having failed to do that, he is in N'Gogs way. N'Gog dives. If he doesn't dive, Carsleys offence goes unpunished. In the ideal world he doesn't dive because what I think is a foul is punished.

Maybe I'm completely wrong - but IMO, by forcing N'Gog to hurdle him Carsley is illegitimately impeding progress. It's only legitimate if Carsley plays the ball

Its called zonal marking something liverpool are remarkable at

or a push. Whatever tint your glasses are ;) a foul though tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

A genuine question here, do you also advocate the same for Gerrard who had an equally bad dive in the last five minutes and has done so repeatedly numerous other times? If not why not? I'm honestly just curious here, not trying to wind up anyone at all.

i do. i'd love all divers to be punished immediately by their clubs.

do you think all players should be, looking at your own club?

• Advertisement

I didn't notice Gerrard's dive to be honest.

And no of course not, we need Gerrard!

Just to add, i thought N'Gog was very good today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

not sure how we didn't win that to be honest, but here's a couple of reasons:

Benayoun was very quiet.
    Birmingham had a stunning chance to goals ratio

I just came back into this thread but I hope your messing?

It was a penalty. If ngog left his leg in their to be caught carsely would of clattered him and given away the penalty anyways. Why should he leave his leg in to possible get injured? He jumped over a daft wild challenge which clearly missed the ball.

Anyways we deserved the win tonight but the squad is so poor im not sure where the blame lies. One thing I know is I want Benitez to get another season as sacking him would just set us back even further.

Even though Ngog did good tonight im still not convinced. He seems lightweight and a bit flimsy and never puts a hard challenge in. Babel looked lively again I just wish hed get a run of games.

Bit of a disaster with Yossi and Riera getting injured. Have they changed the fitness program or something at the club. Way to many injuries.

Maybe I'm completely wrong - but IMO, by forcing N'Gog to hurdle him Carsley is illegitimately impeding progress. It's only legitimate if Carsley plays the ball

so everytime a keeper comes out and claims a ball and a striker has to jump over them is that a foul 2

joe123 wrote: »
    I just came back into this thread but I hope your messing?

It was a penalty. If ngog left his leg in their to be caught carsely would of clattered him and given away the penalty anyways. Why should he leave his leg in to possible get injured? He jumped over a daft wild challenge which clearly missed the ball.

Anyways we deserved the win tonight but the squad is so poor im not sure where the blame lies. One thing I know is I want Benitez to get another season as sacking him would just set us back even further.

Even though Ngog did good tonight im still not convinced. He seems lightweight and a bit flimsy and never puts a hard challenge in. Babel looked lively again I just wish hed get a run of games.

Bit of a disaster with Yossi and Riera getting injured. Have they changed the fitness program or something at the club. Way to many injuries.

It was never a penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Ngog was great again tonight.

Nearly every time he gets an opportunity he does really well. Gonna be an excellent player if he keeps developing as he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

so everytime a keeper comes out and claims a ball and a striker has to jump over them is that a foul 2

Carsley didnt get the ball?:confused:

it was a dive.

but it was the dives that every player in the PL does.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Diving is diving, regardless of what might have happened if a player doesnt do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

if he's claimed the ball, then obviously no. If Carsley made contact with the ball, then no foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Carsley didnt get the ball?:confused:

it was a dive.

but it was the dives that every player in the PL does.

Disagree strongly. there was absolutely no contact, you don't see that all
    that often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

It was a penalty.

i have literally seen it all now

how do you even respond to that?!?!?!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Stekelly wrote: »
    No, it's actually really simple. Ban people.

FIFA , UEFA , national Fa's etc run football, not the players who feel it's an art to dive.

Use video evidence and retrospectively ban players until they stop doing it.

Some people thought knee high tackles with studs was an art

I dont think you really understood my point. It is in the hierarchy of these associations that feel that a little bit of 'conning' the ref is fine. Got nothing to do with the players, if the players were told from tomorrow it would be a bannable offence it would still go on. Because diving is in the eye of the beholder, the grey area is too large. It will never happen.

It was never a penalty

So you would of prefered ngog to leave his leg in there to be caught by carsely just to prove it was a penalty? Break your ankle and get us a penalty?

This is what I dont understand with some people Ngog was running in, Carsley slides in with a terrible timed tackle in the box and Ngog jumps over the tackle. It was carsley that caused Ngog to ride the tackle which was nowhere near the ball.

If every player had to let the other player clatter them in a tackle to get the foul then youd have a serious amount of damaged ankles. Carsley stopped Ngogs stride without touching the ball.

And wanting one of your own teams players to get an internal ban for winning a penalty and trying to help the team win the game is disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Watched the game on a ****ty stream but that was a blatantly obvious dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Ngog was great again tonight.

Nearly every time he gets an opportunity he does really well. Gonna be an excellent player if he keeps developing as he is.

Yes he is indeed if he keeps that up he heading straight to the London 2012 Olympics representing France in the Diving competition;);)

So you would of prefered ngog to leave his leg in there to be caught by carsely just to prove it was a penalty? Break your ankle and get us a penalty?

And wanting one of your own teams players to get an internal ban for winning a penalty and trying to help the team win the game is disgraceful.

No i'd preferred him to cross the ball quicker

No, the disgrace was the dive. And you advocate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yes he is indeed if he keeps that up he heading straight to the London 2012 Olympics representing France in the Diving competition;);)

Well 110m hurdles maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This is what I dont understand with some people Ngog was running in, Carsley slides in with a terrible timed tackle in the box and Ngog jumps over the tackle. It was carsley that caused Ngog to ride the tackle which was nowhere near the ball.

If every player had to let the other player clatter them in a tackle to get the foul then youd have a serious amount of damaged ankles. Carsley stopped Ngogs stride without touching the ball.

lol lol one the best posts I have ever read.

Im sure you would say same about Ronaldo and Drogba right??

Cracker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

As neutral I thought Ngog did really well bar his dive, but that said we have a lot of high profile players from other "big" clubs who go down easy too.

Well im not gunna bother trying to debate why I think it was a penalty as im a bit pissed off with the result more importantly.

When Gerrard and Pires left the trailing leg and won penalties....there I can see why they are in no way penalties. This is different. Fair enough Ngog jumped out of the challenge but Carsley still impeded his run without getting anywhere near the ball.

It comes down to does the player impede the other player and here I think he does. Anyway it makes no difference now. We are 11 points behind chelsea. Out of the premiership, nearly out of the champions league. Nearly all our top players injured or battling injuries....and here we have some so called fans wanting our players getting internal bans. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes if we were to be honest, Ngog simulated the dive. But Ref probably blew because Carsley left his leg out and didn't make contact with the ball.
    To the game itself. Acquilani made his long awaited debuted. Made a lot of short passes but would like to see him take the ball on more in certain situations.
    Ngog did well for first goal but don't think he is sharp as Torres. Kuyt tries as did Babbel. Thought Gerrard could have done better with one or two of his crosses but overall he makes a huge difference to team.
    Yeah we can forget about the league now. Still good enough to make top four but that should not be the height of our ambitions really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement