Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL, Wi-Fi and VPN

• 09-11-2009 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭

I use the A T & T Network Client to VPN back to my company network from home, this has worked with Eircom and Vodafone broadband and I use the Wi-Fi connection all the time as the modem is in the hall where the phone line comes in.

I've recently signed up for 10Mb broadband from UPC/NTL but a friend of mine says that there might be issues using the VPN link back to the office network via Wi-Fi, does anyone know about any issues with this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I have used NTL and the free wifi router they give you for VPN and other Remote desktop clients. I think it's a netgear WGR and it worked fine. You can open up any ports you might need on the router. Don't see why this would be an issue with NTL if it's not for other ISP's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

NothingMan wrote: »
    I have used NTL and the free wifi router they give you for VPN and other Remote desktop clients. I think it's a netgear WGR and it worked fine. You can open up any ports you might need on the router. Don't see why this would be an issue with NTL if it's not for other ISP's.

The integrated Cisco modem/router supports this or so it says but as a piece of kit it's so buggy that its hard to say if it will work or not.
    If you can avoid the Cisco box then you'll have no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

bealtine wrote: »
    The integrated Cisco modem/router supports this or so it says but as a piece of kit it's so buggy that its hard to say if it will work or not.
    If you can avoid the Cisco box then you'll have no problems.

I have my old Eircom Netopia modem and I also have my (soon to be retired) BT Voyager, would this be better than the Cisco box the NTL guy will give me when he comes to set me up?

coylemj wrote: »
    I have my old Eircom Netopia modem and I also have my (soon to be retired) BT Voyager, would this be better than the Cisco box the NTL guy will give me when he comes to set me up?

They are DSL routers so not suitable for cable. The Cisco does everything (supposedly) but does it ar%eways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Does the Cisco box have 4 Ethernet ports?

• Advertisement

yes

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coylemj viewpost.gif

yes

That's not the NTL set up I have. The cable modem (not sure of make) comes in has only 1 ethernet port, 1 coax out that goes to a digibox and a phone input for a landline.

Then when you get 10Mb broadband we got a free Netgear wireless router with 4 ethernet ports.

NothingMan wrote: »
    That's not the NTL set up I have. The cable modem (not sure of make) comes in has only 1 ethernet port, 1 coax out that goes to a digibox and a phone input for a landline.

Then when you get 10Mb broadband we got a free Netgear wireless router with 4 ethernet ports.

Thats the "older" setup which you should keep at all costs even if they offer you any sort of upgrade don't give up the Scientific Atlantic modem for any inducement even if it sounds really really good.

Honestly the Cisco router is utterly useless and NTL don't have a clue how to get it fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I couldn't access my work network via VPN when I had NTL Broadband. However, I think that was because of the crappy router we had back then (a Buffalo WYR-G54 IIRC).

bealtine wrote: »
    Thats the "older" setup which you should keep at all costs even if they offer you any sort of upgrade don't give up the Scientific Atlantic modem for any inducement even if it sounds really really good.

Honestly the Cisco router is utterly useless and NTL don't have a clue how to get it fixed.

Thanks Beatline, Had NTL installed today and I requested the old set up... and got it! Scientific Atlanta + Netgear router. Thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 asheokand

i use ntl cisco router not for vpn though. very easy to forward ports on it. easy to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

I use the A T & T Network Client to VPN back to my company network from home, this has worked with Eircom and Vodafone broadband and I use the Wi-Fi connection all the time as the modem is in the hall where the phone line comes in.

I've recently signed up for 10Mb broadband from UPC/NTL but a friend of mine says that there might be issues using the VPN link back to the office network via Wi-Fi, does anyone know about any issues with this?

I also use AT&T Netw. Client to access my company network (3 letters company) also on 10mb connection with UPC and Netgear wireless router and never had any problems connecting.

Advertisement