Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustics Speed Dating

Options
  • 09-11-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

I'm organising an Event with Chris Walls from Munro Acoustics that we're calling 'Acoustics Speed Dating'

The idea is that you'll book a 30 Min 'date' with Chris and you supply the following -

"Dimensioned sketch of your room (showing orientation of speaker / mix position)
    Indication of what walls & ceiling are built from (brick or plasterboard?)
    A couple of pictures of the room.
    What the room is used for.
    Do you dry hire the studio ?
    Brief description of any problems they're aware of.
    Basic equipment list (console, monitors mic pres etc)
    Do you have a budget for acoustics?"

With that info Chris can do some quick calculations and give you some basic pointers of how to sort any possible problems.

This will give you an idea of how you may proceed in the future (either with or without Munro's help) and an opportunity to chat to a very nice chap who is at the Top of the Acoustics game.

It costs you nothing and may open a world of possibilities on what we believe is the single most important aspect of a studio, especially one that sells it's services.

It will probably be early December and we'll pick a venue that's best suited to the interested parties.

Chris has, of course, promised to wear a short skirt and a low blouse .... to get into the spirit of things, like ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭SeanHurley

Paul count me in! Fair play to you and Chris for offering this, I am in the process of trying to fix problems with my room and it would be double whopper to get advice from Chris.

P.S. Tell Chris I only go to first base on the first date!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

SeanHurley wrote: »

P.S. Tell Chris I only go to first base on the first date!

You say that now - but when he's offering you ruler flat frequency responses (with a slight lift in the low end of course) and perfect firm impulse responses you'll probably capitulate ....

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭SeanHurley

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    You say that now - but when he's offering you ruler flat frequency responses (with a slight lift in the low end of course) and perfect firm impulse responses you'll probably capitulate ....

Will ya stop, you are exciting me standing waves.....

I now have 2 possible venues in Dublin - but if there's a surge from outside the Pale it could be out there too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

As always, depending on when it's on, I'd be quite interested in this...

• Advertisement

Cool, as soon as we have a date I'll let youse know -

As I say, it will be a 'booked' event i.e you'll have your time slot.

It's going to be informative from both sides of the desk insofar as, apart from the obvious advantage to the possible client, it will also give us an overview of what is likely to happen Acoustics wise in Ireland next year.

I'm now collaborating with Munro and will be spending some time in the UK promoting their and our, services.

So everyone should get what they want out of the event ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Would definitely be up for this. Hoping to get a good bit of work done with the room over Christmas so this would be perfect timing.

That's great to hear Arid.

Right , that's 4 places gone out of a possible 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Sounds like a great idea...

Unless he is planning a long day and no lunch :), you might want to cut it down to 12 or so spots.. with lunch, handovers between people and the innevitable overruns it would be a pity to run out of time trying to cram 16 in.. Great idea though.

• Advertisement

There'll be Lunch and No Over Runs !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    There'll be Lunch and No Over Runs !!

It's da musik biz.. i bet even the lunch overruns :p

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

Hi Paul,

I'd be very interested in meeting Chris for half an hour to discuss the acoustics of my own studio/garden shed. Perhaps if you were to put me towards the end of the sessions we could all adjourn to the Cedar Lounge to address its particular sonic deficiencies over a pint! biggrin.gif

new track: www.soundcloud.com/jj-vernon/november
    www.jjvernon.com

JJV wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

I'd be very interested in meeting Chris for half an hour to discuss the acoustics of my own studio/garden shed. Perhaps if you were to put me towards the end of the sessions we could all adjourn to the Cedar Lounge to address its particular sonic deficiencies over a pint! biggrin.gif

new track: www.soundcloud.com/jj-vernon/november
    www.jjvernon.com

Chris has suggested interested parties mail me at Paul@Audiowarehouse.ie with the following details first -

"Dimensioned sketch of your room (showing orientation of speaker / mix position)
    Indication of what walls & ceiling are built from (brick or plasterboard?)
    A couple of pictures of the room.
    What the room is used for.
    Do you dry hire the studio ?
    Brief description of any problems they're aware of.
    Basic equipment list (console, monitors mic pres etc)
    Do you have a budget for acoustics?"

So he can have a plan prepared.

2 sets of Details gone over to Chris already...

Any idea on a date for this Paul? My diary is quite full for December you see...;)

Let me Twist Christy's arm ...

It looks like the second week in December.

I'm awaiting the confirmation from Chris as he has to go to the Kremlin around that time too ! For real ...

December 22nd is the date !

Cool, I think I can make that. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd be interested.

Not quite music production I'm involved in, but I could do with some advice on recording dialogue for radio dramas.

I'd be interested.

Not quite music production I'm involved in, but I could do with some advice on recording dialogue for radio dramas.

Huh ? Have you read what this thread is about ?

Well I have a studio and I'd like to best know what I can do to optimise it for recording vocals.

Well I have a studio and I'd like to best know what I can do to optimise it for recording vocals.

Ah, cool.

Send on your info to me at Paul@AudioWarehouse.ie and I'll forward it on.

Ah grand. Will do.

I'm fairly happy with the studio. It's just I don't think I'm using the best mics I could be using. And currently using the Prosonus Firepod and I just feel I should be getting a much better quality from it all.

It's just I don't think I'm using the best mics I could be using. And currently using the Prosonus Firepod and I just feel I should be getting a much better quality from it all.

Chris, who is an Acoustician can't offer you any advice on that.

Any sure location yet Paul? Just a-wonderin' is all.

Any sure location yet Paul? Just a-wonderin' is all.

No - haven't even looked yet. Dubalincentric I reckon ...

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

Paul, I would be interested in any advice for the acoustic space that we use (but it is not a studio - more a performance /congregational space used on a weekly basis). Understand if this doesn't qualify but if you are happy to let it pass the entrance exam then I can forward the necessary details to your email address.
    This is a genuine request - I have tried to improve the sound quality there over the last few years without any acoustic treatment but would value some professional opinion as to what could be the next step/investment.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Please do Dave -

Chris has wide experience apart from just music studios, he's also done BBC and Financial Times Broadcast Studios as well as the main concert hall in the Kremlin and various Bollywood Studios !

Anything that needs a guaranteed acoustic solution we can facilitate.

Send me your info, Cheers.

Advertisement