Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To buy or not to buy?

• 09-11-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I have been looking through the forums over the last number of weeks in regards to investong in an xbox or a PS3. I think value for money imgoin to go for the xbox but i just want to know if you think is there any point?

The RROD problem seems to be widespread and alost evry machine seems to have this fault at some stage, or at least we only hear about the bad ones, but it seems that sooner or later I will have to go and get this either repaired or replaced.

Do you think there is any point in getting one on the off chance it may not develop this problem, or do you think that it is just inevitable and that its just part and parcel of the Xbox at this stage??

The more research i do the more im being put off by the fact I will have to get it replaced or encounter problems and the more im turning towards the PS3...

any opinions?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The_Devil wrote: »
    I have been looking through the forums over the last number of weeks in regards to investong in an xbox or a PS3. I think value for money imgoin to go for the xbox but i just want to know if you think is there any point?

The RROD problem seems to be widespread and alost evry machine seems to have this fault at some stage, or at least we only hear about the bad ones, but it seems that sooner or later I will have to go and get this either repaired or replaced.

Do you think there is any point in getting one on the off chance it may not develop this problem, or do you think that it is just inevitable and that its just part and parcel of the Xbox at this stage??

The more research i do the more im being put off by the fact I will have to get it replaced or encounter problems and the more im turning towards the PS3...

any opinions?

Thanks

In the newer consoles RRoD is extremely rare.
    Also there's a lovely 3 year warranty should it happen, but I don't know of anyone who's bought a console in the last 18 months (even before the latest hardware revision) who has had any problems. Not to say they're not out there but RRoD isn't all that common any more on newer consoles.

I have both and a few weeks ago heard some people on the Playstation forum giving out about a new update. "Oh, glad that didn't happen to mine." I thought. Then I realised I hadn't had the console on in well over a month.

As an XBox fan the most impartial and logical advice I can give is that unless there are some exclusives on either console you really want, go with whichever more of your friends have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

amacachi wrote: »
    As an XBox fan the most impartial and logical advice I can give is that unless there are some exclusives on either console you really want, go with whichever more of your friends have.

This is possibly the most sensible and fair analysis that you're going to get on one of these forums. These threads usually turn into a tirade of fanboyism.

There is very little difference between both platforms as most major titles will come out on both. Some exclusives exist and could be a factor to sway you either way.

If you were thinking of getting a BluRay player as well, then PS3 could be the cheaper option for you. For me, most people I know who have a PS3 use it primarily for this - the odd game piqued their interest like Little Big Planet or Uncharted.

For games and playing online, the people I know who have an XBox swear by it. Only two have had the dreaded RRoD - one was an old second hand machine and the other was my own XBox (from 2006, so it was still covered for free repair under the three year warranty). All the others who bought an XBox in the last year or so have had no problems and they would use theirs much more than me.

On this forum you're likely to get more feedback advising of the XBox, though. I'd say the playstation forum, it'll be the reverse.

Final decision rests with you - which games would interest you more, which controller is more comfortable, if you're playing with mates what do they have, etc.

Either way, you're bound to have a good time ... Enjoy whichever you decide on. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Hi op,
    I'm an xbox owner and I have had the RROD twice. I now have an Arcade Xbox that has the Jasper chip set. The Jasper is great. I have not heard of any RROD's with the Jasper.
    I would still go with Xbox even if I get the RROD again.
    For me the online element it far better on the xbox.
    I know you have to pay for it but a 12month sub can be got on the tinterweb for 30 euro and in my opinion it is well worth it.

So - if you want a cheap bluray and do not want a first class online experience - go with Sony.
    If you want a gaming console with a first class online element - go with Microsoft.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

to be truely impartial i would recommend you get both. i find favouritism in any form is bad for the economy. why have one when you can have more than one

but seriously just get the one the majority of your friends have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I echo the above. Get the console that most of your friends have. playing online with mates is where it's at. It always disappoints me when a friend of mine opts for the PS3 as I have the xbox and it just rules them out from games for me.

Other than that if it's strictly for gaming then you can't really go wrong with either one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭wheelbarrow

Would the fact that you have to pay for online play on the Xbox not make up peoples minds to go for the PS3?

Or is the gameplay enough to counter this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

xbox live for a year is easly got for 30 euro and speaking from experience the xbox one is way better, much easier to get a good game without host quiting and ending it. i also find xbox people better players. ps3 bit to easy in games like cod etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭The Aviator

I personally would just get the PS3 slim, I mean i had this choice a year an a half ago and all iv'e got with my xbox is problems . had to replace 3 of them . The ps3 is actually better value than the xbox overall. because the games are the same price. Online is free and just nearly as good as live Sony recently improved the online. , which excludes annoying xbox live renewals . You will get Full High definition output with the ps3's Blue ray player and fulls top notch surround sound if you have a set. The accessories for the ps3 are better. including blu tooth headsets and remotes, The ps3 is very versatile you can put any size hard rive you want in it at low prices.

The xbox is fun but if you want better hardware go for the ps3. And if your thinking about an xbox your getting it at a very good time, theres great bundle deals out at low prices on elites. and Microsoft have apparently said they '' are more reliable now'' so its your choice.!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭SolarFlash

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭The Aviator

SolarFlash wrote: »

Solar That video is HILARIOUS! much funnier than the Hitler ones! hahahha

• Advertisement
Advertisement