Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it a Hawk? (Pic included)

Options
  • 09-11-2009 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭

Just spotted this outside my office window:

Image060.jpg

I'm thinking its a sparrow hawk? Sorry about the pic, best I could get from my phone. It seems to be eating some sort of bird.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭leopardus

Yep, looks like a sparrowhawk to me

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

i think it mite be a kite, they were relesed recently, we had someone ring our rescue about one the otherday, apparently they only fly for 4/5 mins a day so he will probable hang around, if you call your local wildlife officer they will prob move him on somewhere safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

There's no way thats a kite unless the bird under her/him is a Condor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

E39MSport wrote: »
    :D .. and it had just been to the hairdresser for a colour change as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭donalglackin

peregrine falcon maybe. probably wrong but just looked close at its head and thought it looked a bit similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Its definitely 100% a Sparrowhawk.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I'd second Sparrowhawk, female too by the looks of it. Love birds of prey! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

E39MSport wrote: »

My bad, but the kite is a type of Hawk and look similar, and because there has been loads of them spotted lately i just guessed thats what it mite be..

http://birding.about.com/od/birdingglossary/g/kite.htm

That was a bit smart ar5ed of me - apologies.

I've seen loads of kites in the UK especially in Wales. They are massive and very distinctive.

Cheers.
    K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 tomahawk101

This bird is a female sparrowhawk. The bird it has caught is clearly a pigeon and if there is any doubt about this take a look closely at the bottom left of the picture and you can see the tail feather of a woodpigeon which gives us a reference to size. Female spars weight approx 8oz and regularly catch pigeons twice their weight, especially when feeding young. The males (or muskets) only weight 4 to 5oz, but have been known to take prey much larger than themselves.
    ounce for ounce these are probably the bravest raptors on the planet!
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭funkydunkey

Out of curiosity, where was this taken? I live in Dublin 3 and a Sparrowhawk has landed in my back garden a number of times now to eat. never had anything as big as a pigeon. Ive been late to work a few times over it. amazing to watch. really takes its time eating, which surprised me, and is ALWAYS on the lookout.

Advertisement