Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendations for a hostel for a night out in Wicklow?

Options
  • 09-11-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.

Hope all is well.

Its been a while since I've been on the outdoor thread as I usually use it during summer for great camping advice.

However camping is obviously a no-go till next April at least!!

With that in mind I'm wondering if you's can help me out.

Myself and a few buddies are hoping to organise a night out in Wicklow, possibly with our partners as well.

Can anyone recommend a hostel close to a nice village?

Do you still have to be a member of An Oige to stay in their hostels?

If so can anyone recommned a good independent hostel?

We would hope to arrive in the hostel on a Saturday.
    Go for a good enjoyable stroll, then retreat to a local village with a nice sellection of pubs. Enjoy some good pub grub and a few pints.

This is not a lads night out, we are just looking to get out and about in Wicklow. Although there will be a few pints enjoyed :)

Any suggestions Folks?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

oldscoil wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a hostel close to a nice village?

There's a hostel in Glendalough, a nice one right in the middle of picturesque Wicklow with loads of hillwalking around, the lakes and a decent bar in the hotel. I've never stayed there, but here you go.
    oldscoil wrote: »
    Do you still have to be a member of An Oige to stay in their hostels?

You don't have to be a member. If you aren't, they charge you a whole extra two euros a night!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Glendalough is a crap massively over priced hostel. You'd be better off staying in one of the B&B's in Laragh

How about this in Glenmalure, next valley down from Glendalough?
    http://www.theglenmalurelodge.com/
    Nothing around it but you can stay and drink in the same building:pac: and some great walks up Lug from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Thanks for both of your replies Donny & Cookie. Much appreciated!!! :D

They are both great options.

Can anyone tell whats the lay of the land in regards to cracking open a beer in the common area or kitchen of a hostel, or even Glendalough Hostel itself.

Again...I do not have a bender planned, but if I'm cooking up a bit of nose bag and fancy a Guinness or a glass of red..is it game ball???...

...or will I / we be shown the door. :(

Getting removed from a hostel in the middle of Wicklow in the middle of December wouldn't be my idea of a good night!!!! :eek:

I'd rather go the B&B route if I thought alcohol might be an issue!!

Then again I like the idea of a hostel being a bit more relaxed and varied then sitting in the one pub all day!!

The game plan would be kinda as follows:

Arrive Saturday afternoon: Hostel for quick snack. Nice scenic walk. Pub. Another Pub. Hostel for din-dins (with a tin or two!). Pub. Other Pub. Another Pub. Hostel for a night cap!! Sleep.

Wake up Sunday. Drive home!!

Has anyone ever been removed or witnessed someone being removed form a hostel?

Thanks again Folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

The Glenmalure lodge is a nice B&B with good food. There is nothing near it, though, except for mountains. In Glendalough, there's also only one pub, in the Hotel, which is two minutes from the hostel. If you're up for a 15 minute walk up to Laragh, there's another great pub there. You would have to go to one of the towns to have a pub crawl, but, to be honest, most of the pubs down in the valleys are pretty cosy and you should be grand for a night out.

I don't know about drinking in the hostels, you could give them a shout. I'm sure they've lots of backpackers and students going through there, so you wouldn't be the first to ask.

About prices, I won't comment, but here are the pages:

Youth hostel in Glendalough - http://www.anoige.ie/hostels/glendaloch

B&B in Glenmalure - http://www.theglenmalurelodge.com/Rates.html

Hotel in Glendalough - http://www.glendaloughhotel.com/wicklow_accommodation

There's also a hostel right at bas of Lug, which has no permanent staff, so you could definately drink there, but it's very basic. No running water, electricity, and it's 5km to the nearest pub, which is the Glenmalure Lodge, which itself is in the middle of nowhere. It's a great place if you want to climb Lug, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Another possible option is the IMC hut in Glendalough. Though you need to know someone who is a member (Irish mountaineering Club)

Its about 15-20 min walk from pub in Glendalough and a great simple place to go, especially for a few/few dozen cans:D:p

• Advertisement

Donny5 wrote: »
    You would have to go to one of the towns to have a pub crawl, but, to be honest, most of the pubs down in the valleys are pretty cosy and you should be grand for a night out.

Thanks for that Donny.

What towns would you be referring to.
    I'm only beginning to get familiar with the area so I'm a bit lost when it comes to nice towns to go to, big towns to stay clear of, etc etc.

The IMC Hut looks great Cookie, but unfortunately I don't think any of the Lads are membersr. That seems like a great weekend away!!!! :)

Thanks to you both. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fresh_Air

Donny5 wrote: »
    You would have to go to one of the towns to have a pub crawl, but, to be honest, most of the pubs down in the valleys are pretty cosy and you should be grand for a night out

Agree with Donny 100% on the above.

Also, highly recommend the Glenmalure Lodge - some friends stayed there and siad it was great.

Hi Folks.

Thanks for all your help and info on this.

I’ve actually decided to head that way this weekend if I can…. Just me and the missus! :)

Any recommendations for accommodation for two newlyweds, a nice restaurant, and a nice cosy bar in the area would be sweet.

Would the Glenmalure Lodge be suited for a romantic night away?
    Are there nice “leisurely” walks near by.

I know it’s hardly Paris, but I just wanna get out of Dublin for the night.

I noticed that the Glendalough An Oige has a price for 2 bed room (per room) €48.00.
    However in the room breakdown, they don’t seem to have any 2 bed rooms?!?!?

Or is booking into a hostel seriously unromantic :D

Any romantic ideas? J

Advertisement