Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other people's opinions on gaming etc

Options
  • 09-11-2009 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Ok so I couldn't think of a proper thread title without it being way too long, basically what do people think or have to say when you say you play fighting games/other video games at meets or in tourney's etc, or even gaming in general

I know around here where I am opinions are really sad. My brother's friend asked me was I going out next Sat and I told him I was going to the meet on the 14th. I could tell he was completely confused and obviously thought it was a totally sad idea, and was like "oh, cool"

Today I was talking with me Da and one of his friends, and I was saying how blah blah I was going to Dublin to blah blah. Then all I got was jeers. I was like wtf? I quote "That seems like a total dick-fest, LOL". And I know some people think its nerdy or gay, but are too soft to say, so just say oh cool or something

I think it's really stupid. I got laughed at for playing online, and was told that doing it in person with other people was "homosexual" and that I should be out with women instead :P I personally think it's cool, what's wrong with doing something you enjoy with people of similar interests? ****'s sake

It doesn't make a single difference to me as I don't care what people think, but I was surpirsed when friends and even my own da had remarks to make :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Well first of all man you gotta accept that it is nerdy and sad and then move on from there. :pac:

Nah but honestly, I don't get any grief over it. A lot of my friends would be into games or something else that's considered nerdy, like comics for example - really though even the friends that don't are as into other hobbies that are more socially acceptable like bikes or photography. My dad's a techie as well and I've been spending hours on computers since I was a kid, so nobody is exactly shocked at me doing something like going to play Street Fighter in town. None of this however has stopped me attempting in vain to get women keep in mind!

You're still in secondary, right? To be honest I'd say once you finish school and end up going to college somewhere where you can congregate with other nerds in a gamesoc or something problems like this will seem a distant memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

It's still an emergent medium, one, unfortunately, that started out as a distraction for children.

Whether this stigma will change or not? I don't know, if might never be viewed as equal to a physical sport. Take Ultimate Frisbee, I've played quite a bit of it, but telling people about it never fails to get smirks, even though it's been around for 40 years and played by millions of people.

It's the same with anime. The style is viewed as just 1 genre. So you get Pokemon lumped in with Ergo Proxy or Elfin Lied as a kids show (I actually wouldn't even consider Naruto a kids show, that show deals with some messed up stuff)

Video games are the same, they view the medium as being 1 genre for children, which is why parents are mortified that in the same store that they bought Wii Sports their kid could of picked up Manhunt 2. They fail to acknowledge that, like TV and Radio, the medium can house any number of genres for all ages and tastes.

Ignorance of the masses is nothing new though, so OP, just rise above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Well first of all man you gotta accept that it is nerdy and sad and then move on from there. :pac:

Nah but honestly, I don't get any grief over it. A lot of my friends would be into games or something else that's considered nerdy, like comics for example - really though even the friends that don't are as into other hobbies that are more socially acceptable like bikes or photography. My dad's a techie as well and I've been spending hours on computers since I was a kid, so nobody is exactly shocked at me doing something like going to play Street Fighter in town. None of this however has stopped me attempting in vain to get women keep in mind!

You're still in secondary, right? To be honest I'd say once you finish school and end up going to college somewhere where you can congregate with other nerds in a gamesoc or something problems like this will seem a distant memory.

Well I don't know if I'm as open about it. I know a good bit about computers and I like to play video games. That's really it. I wouldn't say I'm a nerd or anything. And yeah, of course, none of that has stopped me going out and having a good time partying with friends, in clubs, with women etc. I don't like being judged is all.

It's hilarous cause in secondary school I'm a repeat, and I don't know anyone. School has always been about flying solo for me, not that I can't make friends lol. Outside school was where all my shenanigans took place, school for me was all me. So people usually have a tendancy to say "loner" or "gayboy" or "*insert other typical insult*", just cause I don't much at school. It's completely pathetic but lets stay on topic

I don't like WoW or any of that **** (not for me but hey each their own). I dunno I think all the people I know are very old fashioned, and "Irish" if you get me. I'm all for it cause I'm like that myself, but I grew up in this generation so certain things I like others cant relate to

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

I think every person should be free to live life in any way they like. I think its sad how a bunch of guys gather round on weekends and play war games with plastic soldiers but ultimately, who cares what I think? If they enjoy it, then why should I oppose it?

Every person has something they enjoy doing, whether its considered normal or not is based on the society they live in. I'm sure if you were in somewhere like Japan, it would probably be considered normal (then again, there are a lot of things considered "normal" there) whereas elsewhere, video games are considered toys and toys are directly related to kids so if you're any older than say 18 and still play games, some people think its childish.

The important thing to remember though is the idea that these are games meaning that they shouldn't be your life. So try to mix it up by hanging out with friends one weekend and the next maybe at a tournament.

My dad doesn't really understand my fascination for motorsport and not many really do but I sure as hell love it and I will get involved in it. (if I can get the cash ofcourse, so if you have some cash, fancy sponsoring a driver? :P)

Leprekaun wrote: »
    I think every person should be free to live life in any way they like. I think its sad how a bunch of guys gather round on weekends and play war games with plastic soldiers but ultimately, who cares what I think? If they enjoy it, then why should I oppose it?

Every person has something they enjoy doing, whether its considered normal or not is based on the society they live in. I'm sure if you were in somewhere like Japan, it would probably be considered normal (then again, there are a lot of things considered "normal" there) whereas elsewhere, video games are considered toys and toys are directly related to kids so if you're any older than say 18 and still play games, some people think its childish.

The important thing to remember though is the idea that these are games meaning that they shouldn't be your life. So try to mix it up by hanging out with friends one weekend and the next maybe at a tournament.

My dad doesn't really understand my fascination for motorsport and not many really do but I sure as hell love it and I will get involved in it. (if I can get the cash ofcourse, so if you have some cash, fancy sponsoring a driver? :P)

Totally agree I mean the word normal is flexible. It's dependant on certain things and it varies from person to person but I agree bout the mixup. The one reason I havemn't gone to any meets is cause I've been hanging with mates too much! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

General gaming is fine...Nearly everyone is into it at this stage. With the fact that I own a website dedicated to top-tier gaming (not just animaX ;) ), I get a few funny looks - some think it's "cool" (*cough*), most don't understand what I'm talking about...

But I have grown into myself over the years thankfully so now...I'm white and nerdy (and proud).

🤪

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Whether this stigma will change or not? I don't know, if might never be viewed as equal to a physical sport. Take Ultimate Frisbee, I've played quite a bit of it, but telling people about it never fails to get smirks, even though it's been around for 40 years and played by millions of people.

That's because the entire sport exists as an excuse for hippies to smoke weed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

revenge-of-the-nerds.jpg

Just wait till you're at a wedding, and have to introduce someone you know though gaming to someone who doesn't even have an internet connection! A mate of mine invited a bunch of his online friends/teammates/guildies to his wedding and told everyone they were his "poker buddies". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's not like the old days*, where you went to arcades.
    Being an arcade-head meant you where made of tough stuff, and didn't take any sh*t.

But yeah, next time you get grief, just contrast yourself with FPS/MMO players -- sitting home alone, talking through a headset, never seeing sunlight :pac:

*note: Kiki wasn't around back then

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i get all the girls playing street fighter, they think its cool that i can beat a high tier whore like terry with a mid tier character like chun.

some times they even play along, not very well might i add. But they try.
    I try not to break their silly hearts with my ex legs to ultra skilzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

dont worry about fools bruising your ego man... get over it as you get older this will happen plenty more times...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've only abotu 3 friends that really play games. Everyone else gives me loads of grief about it. My parents never understood it and hate it and my brother gives me stick about my weird japanese games (although its hilarious putting on something like Cho Aniki or Katamari when he is baked off his face and getting him paranoid). My brother has nicknamed my Madcatz SE 'Stephens nerdstick' which has unfortunately stuck.

In college I get a load of slaggings for being a nerd because I play videogames. The last girlfriend I had used to give me a load of slagging about the street fighter meet ups as well. It's strange because it's never stopped me going out and doing non nerdy things and being a strong contender for being the biggest piss head out of all the chemistry postgrads (to the detriment of my phd sometimes). I don't try and hide that I'm big into videogames, I don't seem to see the point. Someday I'll find my own videogaming princess that understands me.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    (although its hilarious putting on something like Cho Aniki or Katamari when he is baked off his face and getting him paranoid).

Tell me about it, lmao! Me and my friend were blazed one time and decided to go through his old mega collection of PSX games and then we started playing Silent Hill :P

But yeah I agree with Kiki I mean no offence I think those dudes who spend all their time sitting at home indoors playing like MMoRPGs or FPS are seriously retarded.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The second level of Gitaroo Man with the J-Pop song and the dancing UFO's works just as well. When he ends up saying 'Turn that off, I can't handle it in this state' I'm juts going to keep playing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Ramza wrote: »
    Today I was talking with me Da and one of his friends, and I was saying how blah blah I was going to Dublin to blah blah. Then all I got was jeers. I was like wtf? I quote "That seems like a total dick-fest, LOL".

Hah! That's quality. Funny stuff and from your Da too!

Seriously though, meeting random dudes off the internet to play Streetfighter is crazy nerdy. You are all serious nerds.

Nerds.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Meh.

Everyone is a nerd. Seriously.

Streetfighter is no more or less important in the big scale of things than watching 22 men chasing an inflated pigs bladder around a field while a man dressed in black tells them off if they're bold.

It's all in perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

I play a fair bit of Socom Confrontation online but i never abandon my social life for a game. It gives me something to do when i'm broke (which is most of the time:mad: ) so i don't see the harm.

i never abandon my social life for a game. It gives me something to do when i'm broke (which is most of the time:mad: ) so i don't see the harm.

Same here. I play games casually and as a pass time, I don't think I could pass it off as a way of life etc. It's something cool to do to meet up with people of similar interests and hang out etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Ramza wrote: »
    I think those dudes who spend all their time sitting at home indoors playing like MMoRPGs or FPS are seriously retarded.

But see, you are now guilty of doing the exact same thing. Just like your mates, you are seeing a past-time that you have no interest in.....and declaring the people who like it as saddo's or retarded.

Given that you have taken abuse for doing what you like........you would think you would be more understanding about other peoples interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Indeed I was just about to say the same but Kirby got there 1st.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was just thinking that myself.

The phrase "the pot calling the kettle black" comes to mind :)

Yeah, I was just thinking that myself.

The phrase "the pot calling the kettle black" comes to mind :)

Yourself on page 1:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

OP, gaming is viewed as nerdy and that's how it's going to stay. Just accept it and brush off the narrow minded comments from people who are probably stamp collectors behind doors.

If everyone took those comments seriously, none of us would be involved with gaming and the scene as a whole would not exist.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The last girlfriend I had used to give me a load of slagging about the street fighter meet ups as well.

Good thing you got rid of her, sounds like a right muppet! :pac:

Dude's a kid lads, cut him a little slack. He has yet to learn the mighty ways of the fighting game fanboy.

Really though, ramza, all passtimes are potentially "sad".

We try to meet up and play tournaments and have some fun and not be all about the frame data. But that's just us. A hobby is what you make of it.

To paraphrase the might Teryr Pratchett, all hobbies are an escape. The important thing is that you are escaping to- not escaping from something.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Yourself on page 1:

:pac:

touche :)

in fairness though, I did state that I don't oppose it and I was proving an entirely different point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

This thread reminded me of this scene from 30 rock (great show, although that's also subjective) particularly the bit at the start about Pizza.

I know very few (outside of the XGC meets) people who are as big into gaming as me. There is 1 guy in work whos into gaming, and another who's into WoW.

I guess the disparity between interests is expected. I mean, I don't understand people who watch/follow sports. Bores me to tears. So I assume people who do watch them enjoy being bored all the time so they must be weirdos.

I liken it to when people roll their eyes when a group of people walk by who are being loud and laughing, because we are not in that group and not privy to the joke we find them rude. Yet I know myself on quite a few occasions I've been in one of those loud groups laughing. It's all about perspective and subjective experiential opinions. I'm lucky enough that my OH has come around to accepting my gaming and has her own genres now that she likes, we overlap on retro snes games, platformers and coop sidescrollers so we can play those together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

The higher the introversion,the higher the I.Q.:cool:

RopeDrink wrote: »
    if someone calls me a nerd I tell them I'm proud to be one.

On this topic-

When someone calls me a nerd these days I go "yes. And?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Seriously though,these people should have a good look at there own lives and pastimes first. Killing brain cells and almost choking on their own vomit at the weekend,watching the inane rubbish that is reality T.V., acting like idiots over a bunch of grossly over paid men chasing a ball around a field.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Who gives a **** about what anyone else thinks.

Anyway, I've done illicit substances and smell a woman's cooch. I'm cool as ****, innit bruv.

6fbn9w.gif

Unblockable.

Advertisement