Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other people's opinions on gaming etc

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Anyway, I've done illicit substances and smell a woman's cooch. I'm cool as ****, innit bruv.
    Funny how pretty much everyone I know has done this -- it's not even "edgy" anymore. :rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Personally I'm proud to be a nerd. I'm proud to be able to say I'm one of the best Rock Band players in the country on any instrument, I'm proud to say that I've put in hundreds of hours into Street Fighter and I have some decent level of skill to show for it. Yes, I am even proud of the fact that I collect, what was it? "Little tiny plastic soldiers" and play wargames with them. Those are my hobbies, and quite frankly, the things that, ahem, "normal" people do seem boring in comparison. Viva la nerds!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It only counts if you've done illicit substances off a woman's cooch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Well I'm doing a phd in Mathematics and go to street fighter meets religiously so I can't ever claim to not be nerdy :p

As you get older (and get away from school!) you'll become more comfortable with yourself and realise that there's nothing wrong with it. In fact I've met some great people that I would never have met otherwise (nobody on boards obviously, they're all just jealous of me :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Gaming won't be viewed the same way it is currently forever mind you. Our kids won't be as looked down apon by the common joe ignorants as we were/are. & their kids even less.

As I said in another thread:
    Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    When movies 1st came out they were seen as a silly attraction in the 'arcades' of the time for the lower class and children.

When the 1st colour movies came out they were seen as gimmicky/for kids... not taken seriously, much like games and animated movies are viewed by many today...

20 years ago chatting online or even knowing how to use a computer was considered only for the ultra geeky super nerd computer hacker types....

etc etc etc :rolleyes:

On that note, I played a guy from germany on the pc version the 1st week I got it who was 74 years old. He played as Sagat.

We live in Ireland were the norm is to go out and get **** faced every day of the week and if your not into that theres something 'wrong' with you.

Being an alcoholic is more socially acceptable then having video gaming as a hobby.

The idea of 'nerdy' is an odd one, the logic that being massively into football and knowing all these players stats, names and what teams they play for, going to other countries to watch matches etc is less nerdy then doing the same thing for a video game tournament actually makes little sense.

Its just very old fashioned thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Funny how pretty much everyone I know has done this -- it's not even "edgy" anymore. :rolleyes:

poseurs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

In a room full of 100s of people who slept by their PCs and about thirty more who turned up to play Street Fighter, I was the geek because I said I play Quasar competitively.

:(

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

In a room full of 100s of people who slept by their PCs and about thirty more who turned up to play Street Fighter, I was the geek because I said I play Quasar competitively.

:(

This is possibly the second most awesome thing I've read all day, just behind this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Pfft,

It all comes down to if you enjoy it, and your not hurting anyone else then have at it.

That goes for all the "examples" in this thread.
    MMORPGs
    Playing soccer
    Watching soccer
    Drinking
    Streetfighter tournies

I don't think I'd ever be insulted at being called a nerd, no matter how viciously someone meant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    This is possibly the second most awesome thing I've read all day, just behind this
    Damn Xbox owners!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Dude's a kid lads, cut him a little slack. He has yet to learn the mighty ways of the fighting game fanboy

Excuse me? Elaborate plox

We try to meet up and play tournaments and have some fun and not be all about the frame data

*Tut tut* It's all about the frame data :p j/k

But aside, if you wanna get better at a fighting game, frame data is pretty important. Although I agree it's not really something which pops up in casual conversations :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ramza wrote: »
    Excuse me? Elaborate plox

*Tut tut* It's all about the frame data :p j/k

But aside, if you wanna get better at a fighting game, frame data is pretty important. Although I agree it's not really something which pops up in casual conversations :P

It's important to be aware of it imo but it's better to learn about it with experimenting with it in game than learning off a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

It's important to be aware of it imo but it's better to learn about it with experimenting with it in game than learning off a website.

I totally agree. I mean when coming to grips with a game or just starting you're not gonna get bugged down by frame data. First hand and physical experimentation/experience is best. Frame data I think is useful when going more in depth with the game/character. Finding out move attributes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i've never looked at frames,
    too much .

Advertisement