Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church Hill, Tullamore

Options
  • 09-11-2009 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Whats it like?

Ive heard mixed reviews.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

That's the one heading out towards Tesco and the Whitehouse isn't it?

Didnt hear anything bad about the area but heard a story about problems with some of the houses during construction (cracking walls). My father remembers that whole area flooding years ago. He said it was across the road on some occasions but thats back in the 70's and 80's.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

3 story houses with strange lay outs inside.

Hope I'm not offending anyone but thats based on the show house.

Lately it looks poor to see Wooden hoardings still up after after all this time. One Row of houses looks like they are not finished. That is based on passing by most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

medoc wrote: »
    y father remembers that whole area flooding years ago. He said it was across the road on some occasions but thats back in the 70's and 80's.

Sure i remember floods in that field up to a couple of years ago! Its was like a swamp in the wintertime...and im talking bout late 90's early 00's ... before they started building..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

they were hot property when they went on sale first.... so hot the builder sold the first phase within an hour and added 20k on to the next phase immediately..... they went downhill from there due to their unusual layout more like continental apartments... now they are selling for about half what they were at their peak and yes it is bog land.......and they sold 40 houses to the council for social housing last year because they couldnt sell what they had built.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Its unreal land for building there... its more like flood plain!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Thanks for all that, was looking at renting a place in there, but if its likely to flood and have damp seeping up through the foundations i think it will be a last resort!

I had heard from a friend that the houses were sinking too, but if you build on a marsh i suppose thats whats bound to happen! :rolleyes: And she was seriously thinking about buying in there at the time, she is so glad she didnt!!

And yeah, the layouts are weird, kitchens upstairs?! :eek: Not the irish way at'all at'all!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

We move over to Kilbeggan last month and fine it great. Renting out a nice house for 600 a month. No hassle in the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Heard nothing only bad things to be honest. They have pollutine under topsoil. In rain it floods in sun it cracks. Seemingly they wouldn be finished to the best standard. Plumbing problems etc. Just what iv heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Frank_Leach

offaly1 wrote: »
    Its unreal land for building there... its more like flood plain!!!

Sure that's what we do best in Tullamore...build on floodplains! Look at this disgraceful Tullamore West proposed development...Johnny Flanagan et al want to build a nice big development in a swamp(most year round)....and, wants you to pay for it!!

Remarkable in this day and age. The really funny thing about it?

Well, when the county council were to vote on this proposition, the good Johnny, a long time FF councilor, opted out of the vote due to a "conflict of interest". What a gent.
    But when it looked like it was going to sink in the mud(pardon the pun), his lobbyists got busy in converting those council members that understood the finer things of life like physics and economics. And here's the funny part....it worked!
    So rather than build on state lands that are actually fit for development, looks like a private enterprise will get public funding to build on sub standard land. I love this country.

With the recession devastating any big building projects, it's on hold i would imagine. But anyone who read the Tullamore Tribune, or at national level, The Phoenix, would be mighty impressed with local politics in Tullamore. Hats off to Molly Buckley FG and Tommy Mckeigue for showing some backbone and common sense during the matter..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

Be the livin' J'sus the Phoenix magazine sniffin' round local politics in Tullamore, whatever for ?? This is getting mighty interesting ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Frank_Leach

Scawgeen wrote: »
    Be the livin' J'sus the Phoenix magazine sniffin' round local politics in Tullamore, whatever for ?? This is getting mighty interesting ;)

Yep, it was a facinating article alright..i was amazed that despite all the scandal relating to Fiana Fail and dodgy planning, the hard neck survives.
    A good honest write up in the Tullamore Tribune too, so there's hope for local journalism. Anyhow, what with the recession, maybe that put the breaks on the project eitherways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

.Johnny Flanagan et al want to build a nice big development in a swamp(most year round)....and, wants you to pay for it!!

Church Hill isnt Flanagans Development. In fairness to Some of Johnny boys estates, they were finished to a better standard than a lot of other estates. Some of the houses in Colliers brook are a bit of a dive though.
    Is the hospital on wet ground, A lot of the fields around it look fairly marshy.

Advertisement