Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nipple piercing

Options
  • 09-11-2009 5:39pm

OK so I want one but I keep backing out as I'm afraid of the risks. I haven't had the best luck with piercings so far even though I've done the aftercare so I'm quite wary. I would really appreciate if people could give me some advice here. One thing I'm concerned about is that my nipples are flat, not inverted, but pretty flat when they're not hard :o Is this likely to be a problem?
    And is getting this piercing going to affect my daily life a lot? I don't have time to do more than a couple of salt soaks per day and just generally be careful with it.
    And most importantly, what are the real chances of problems? I've read about risks of mastitis, not being able to breastfeed, scarring, etc. Has anyone had any problems with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

[quote=[Deleted User];62923940]OK so I want one but I keep backing out as I'm afraid of the risks. I haven't had the best luck with piercings so far even though I've done the aftercare so I'm quite wary. I would really appreciate if people could give me some advice here. One thing I'm concerned about is that my nipples are flat, not inverted, but pretty flat when they're not hard :o Is this likely to be a problem?
    And is getting this piercing going to affect my daily life a lot? I don't have time to do more than a couple of salt soaks per day and just generally be careful with it.
    And most importantly, what are the real chances of problems? I've read about risks of mastitis, not being able to breastfeed, scarring, etc. Has anyone had any problems with this?[/quote]
    The piercer will make yer nipple hard if i recall correctly, A girls nipple piercing is through the nipple not the areola like a guys. As for not breastfeeding, that is a complete myth and proven to be.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

The piercer will make yer nipple hard if i recall correctly, A girls nipple piercing is through the nipple not the areola like a guys. As for not breastfeeding, that is a complete myth and proven to be.
    I wasn't aware of that. I always thought it was true. I've never had anyone tell me otherwise, and when I got mine done the peircer didn't bring it up, obviuosly coz it doesn't apply to myself.
    But why do guys get it pierced through the areola?

Izzy; regarding aftercare, its fairly simple. A couple of salt water soaks a day is all it needs. you'll probably not want to wear any frilly bra's when you get it done, or for a while after. You don't want the jewelery catching in it.

• The piercer will make yer nipple hard if i recall correctly, A girls nipple piercing is through the nipple not the areola like a guys. As for not breastfeeding, that is a complete myth and proven to be.

And would it stay hard? I'm confused about how the barbell would sit. And as for breastfeeding, most places seem to say it doesn't affect it unless the piercing isn't done properly or there's complications and that's what I'm worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Kitty k

Hey had both of mine done apart from the initial pain of the piercing never had a problem but you would want anyone messing with them for a while:D thay are in an area where you are unlikely to get an infection because you tend to leave them alone unlike nose lip etc where you would be touching appling makeup etc, in my experience they were pierced right at the base of the nipple where it meets the areola and any further up the nipple wouldnt look right imo, I went on to breastfeed 2 little people with no problems but did remove the jewellry and they closed. The piercings did keep the nipples erect constantly so if you want to be discreet just wear a lightly padded bra ... Great piercing I loved it and am going to get them redone:D

• Kitty k wrote: »
    Hey had both of mine done apart from the initial pain of the piercing never had a problem but you would want anyone messing with them for a while:D thay are in an area where you are unlikely to get an infection because you tend to leave them alone unlike nose lip etc where you would be touching appling makeup etc, in my experience they were pierced right at the base of the nipple where it meets the areola and any further up the nipple wouldnt look right imo, I went on to breastfeed 2 little people with no problems but did remove the jewellry and they closed. The piercings did keep the nipples erect constantly so if you want to be discreet just wear a lightly padded bra ... Great piercing I loved it and am going to get them redone:D

Hey thanks for advice. Did it leave any scarring or weirdness or does it all look normal now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Kitty k

no scarring or weirdness just the usual dimple..Just get a good piercer and chat to them about it too make sure your comfortable with it and sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Hello ladies

That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Hello ladies

That is all
    What a useless post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

What a useless post.
    ^^^ but then so was that.
    And so is this. And thus begins a vicious circle of useless posts till someone takes us out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

i was merely trying to introduce myself into this thread. relax.

AND

im not going out of my way to troll.
    im genuinely quite interested in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Hello ladies

That is all

Infraction issued for inappropriate posting.
    This is a first and last warning, anyone else posting in an inappropriate manner will receive a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rachellally

I got mine done about 2 months ago, they hurt for about 2 days afterwards and I havnt had to think about them since.
    My piercer told me not to do salt soaks because it irritates them too much and just to clean them in the shower, which it what Ive been doing, and I havnt had any problems so far.
    Deffinatly much easier and less complication than with my nape piercing, and I love them, really glad I got it done.
    Might get slightly longer bars put in or rings in the near future.. :-)
    good luck, they didnt hurt half as much as I thought, I made the mistake of watching youtube videos of people getting it done first and nearly chickened out. The first one was relativly painless and the second just hurt a small amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bipolar

My wife had one nipple pieced about 2 years ago and all was great for a year and then she got a really nasty infection in her breast which needed a hospital stay and several aspirations. No one said for definite it was due to the piercing but it was suggested it was the likeliest cause. From a male point of view it was a very enjoyable and rewarding piercing but as with everything their are risks involved so be careful, but having said all this i would highly recommend nipple piercing. Enjoy it :)O

• Bipolar wrote: »
    My wife had one nipple pieced about 2 years ago and all was great for a year and then she got a really nasty infection in her breast which needed a hospital stay and several aspirations. No one said for definite it was due to the piercing but it was suggested it was the likeliest cause. From a male point of view it was a very enjoyable and rewarding piercing but as with everything their are risks involved so be careful, but having said all this i would highly recommend nipple piercing. Enjoy it :)O

Aghh that scares me, partly cos I'm the kind of person where if anything can go wrong, it does. I've had complications with virtually every piercing I've ever had, some from my own stupidity but others just bad luck. Am rethinking it atm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rihanna65

LD 50 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of that. I always thought it was true. I've never had anyone tell me otherwise, and when I got mine done the peircer didn't bring it up, obviuosly coz it doesn't apply to myself.
    But why do guys get it pierced through the areola?

Izzy; regarding aftercare, its fairly simple. A couple of salt water soaks a day is all it needs. you'll probably not want to wear any frilly bra's when you get it done, or for a while after. You don't want the jewelery catching in it.

My areola's are smaller than my nipple itself! where would i get a piercing in that case to compliment my rare situation! also while i menstruate blue scummy like puss leaks from the nipple. would i have to consult a doctor before getting it done?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Uhm yeah might be worth checking that out with a doctor, just to avoid any potential complications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rihanna65

Will wrote: »
    Uhm yeah might be worth checking that out with a doctor, just to avoid any potential complications

thanks so much will. will make an appointment asap.do i go to a gp or a special nipple doctor or something of that sort?:D

Your GP should be first port of call, and they can refer you.
    Dunno how your areola can be smaller than the nipple itself though, as surely it'd simply look like you have no areola.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

All women have fluid in their breasts. The does not usually leak because the ducts in the breasts are blocked with plugs of a substance called keratin. During menstruation the ducts may widen and this allows a "leakage". Colour wise it can vary from milky to black, or even cheesy in older women. This leakage is not usually a problem, although you may want to get your piercing either towards the end of your period or just after it, to allow your nipples as long as possible to heal before your next possible leak.
    As for where they will be pierced, regardless of the size of your areola. it should be through the nipple itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gumtrees

OK so I want one but I keep backing out as I'm afraid of the risks. I haven't had the best luck with piercings so far even though I've done the aftercare so I'm quite wary. I would really appreciate if people could give me some advice here. One thing I'm concerned about is that my nipples are flat, not inverted, but pretty flat when they're not hard :o Is this likely to be a problem?
    And most importantly, what are the real chances of problems? I've read about risks of mastitis, not being able to breastfeed, scarring, etc. Has anyone had any problems with this?
    i have had piercings for the past 30 odd years b4 all the shops came out nd i have a good few , dont fret mate just use eco wipes nd ull b ok .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Hi everyone, so I just have a few questions about this! It would be great if any girl with this type of piercing done could help!

What is the average healing time? I've been researching and read everything from 8 weeks to a year!! :eek:

How painful is the healing?? I mean I can imagine the piercing pain, but it's the healing part that scares me- will it be painful to touch, does your bra rub off it etc. I've read that people find it easier to wear bras to bed for the first while?? But then I thought that air was good for healing..? :confused: Is there a difference for people with bigger/smaller boobs?

Long term- after it has healed is there any difference in sensitivity? What kind of scar tissue are you left with if you decide to remove it? Is there any risk of rejection? Is the breast-feeding thing really just a myth?? I've read links on both sides of the argument!

I don't have many piercings- just my ear lobes and navel. The main reason for this is because I've always had complications with my piercings! They usually get infected despite me following the aftercare instructions! :( This is the main thing putting me off it- ie what's the worst case scenario with this type of piercing! I mean I've read that infection from nipple piercings can spread rapidly through the lymph nodes! :eek:

Any advice appreciated thanks!! :)

Hi everyone, so I just have a few questions about this! It would be great if any girl with this type of piercing done could help!

What is the average healing time? I've been researching and read everything from 8 weeks to a year!! :eek:

How painful is the healing?? I mean I can imagine the piercing pain, but it's the healing part that scares me- will it be painful to touch, does your bra rub off it etc. I've read that people find it easier to wear bras to bed for the first while?? But then I thought that air was good for healing..? :confused: Is there a difference for people with bigger/smaller boobs?

Long term- after it has healed is there any difference in sensitivity? What kind of scar tissue are you left with if you decide to remove it? Is there any risk of rejection? Is the breast-feeding thing really just a myth?? I've read links on both sides of the argument!

I don't have many piercings- just my ear lobes and navel. The main reason for this is because I've always had complications with my piercings! They usually get infected despite me following the aftercare instructions! :( This is the main thing putting me off it- ie what's the worst case scenario with this type of piercing! I mean I've read that infection from nipple piercings can spread rapidly through the lymph nodes! :eek:

Any advice appreciated thanks!! :)
    I'm not a girl but I have pierced quite a few nipples over the years and have spoken to a lot of my clients regarding their experiences so I will do my best to try to answer your questions objectively.
    1/ Initially when I started piercing I used canulas and there was a long healing time. I now use blade needles and healing time (ie. the nipples not being sore to touch) is around 4 weeks.
    2/ They are tender for the first 5 to 7 days. Providing your bra is well fitting there should be no adverse discomfort or rubbing. Bra on or off can be personal but most of my clients like to take it off as often as possible as they say it is a feeling of relief. Breast size doesn't effect the healing.
    3/ Is there a difference in sensitivity? Hell yes!!!(this one is from experience as my partner has hers pierced) If properly pierced, the chances of rejection are slim. Should you decide to remove them there will be a small lump of scar on either side of the nipple, bio oil works wonders. As for brest feeding, no problem. Believe it or not if you have well fitting titanium jewellery it is not actually necessary to remove the jewellery to suckle.
    4/ If you get them done by a competent, experienced piercer who uses quality jewellery and you are meticulous about your aftercare then you should have no problems and actually have a very pleasent (well I am biased) piercing.
    I hope this will be of some help to you. As I've said I know I'm not a girl but a lot of my feedback has come from my partner and she can be extremely critical, so I put a lot of faith in what she tells me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I have one nipple done.

Got it about 4 months ago. I'm sure if I took it out it would heal fairly fast though, so I know it hasn't fully healed at all.

No pain at all with the healing. I didn't really touch it much the first maybe 2 weeks, but I didn't feel it at all through my clothes if thats what you mean. It might have hurt if I'd gone poking at it maybe. And it was fine to touch after then.

I'd say sensitivity is a bit different for everyone, if anything it increased it for me!

I had no problems with infections, kept it clean like I was instructed by my piercer. All my ear piercing got infected after I got them done, but I had now problem with the nipple. Probably because its not out in the open air if you get me.

Also not a girl, but I'd say to also be careful about the type of bra you wear, particularly while it's healing. Avoid the lacy type if possible, as the initial sensitivity may mean the lace could irritate and the added possibility of 'snagging' the piercing on a lacy one is higher than with say a seamless one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭NikNakOoo

I had my left one done 2 months ago and my right 1 month ago and found that both were sore the evening of, but after that it they were fine, except to sleep on my stomach which took about 2 weeks till I was comfortable to do so. Whilst they are not properly healed, they are both settled enough for me to not worry about them too much. The bra rubbing kinda feels good, instead of painful, same goes for when its cold. :o I still wear my bra as I find it most comfortable (I have D-rings and the sensation of them is a bit much without a bra.)

I have found nipple piercings to be the easiest to care for... I guess because I actually really cared for them! Sea salt soaks twice daily, at first, with a shot glass... I dreaded having to do those soaks, but surf the net during that time and it doesn't seem so labourious. :)

@Pierced Off, thanks very much for your long and informative answer. I've decided to bite the bullet and get this done today!! Aghh!!! :eek: Just the one though, i'm too chicken for anything else. Possibly will get my rook done as well.

@Princess Peach, thats good to know, my ear piercings all got infected too and so did my belly which is what's kinda worrying me! I will be meticulous with the after care!!

@Damo- lacy bras?? I don't quite understand what you mean by this?? Even if a bra is lacy it's always smooth on the inside of the cup with nothing to snag on??

@NikNakOoo (nice name by the way!) why did you choose D-rings?? When you say you still wear your bra do you mean by day or by night?? Also sea salt soaks-ow! :eek:

Good luck mahamageehad. Don't worry about getting another piercing done, just enjoy the experience.

@Damo- lacy bras?? I don't quite understand what you mean by this?? Even if a bra is lacy it's always smooth on the inside of the cup with nothing to snag on??
    Not being a bra wearer, I'm not sure, but it was something I'd heard mentioned a while back!
    Also sea salt soaks-ow! :eek:
    Sea-salt soaks are part of the usual recommended aftercare for piercings though...

Not being a bra wearer, I'm not sure, but it was something I'd heard mentioned a while back!

Sea-salt soaks are part of the usual recommended aftercare for piercings though...

Ya i know but ugh!! Is it bad that i'm more worried about the aftercare pain than the piercing pain?? :eek: :P Salt + sore nipples sounds very painful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I did sea salt soaks, and they were fine! Didn't hurt at all, if anything they felt really nice!

I used to have a ring in and I wore a bra at all times, even to bed but not cause of any kind of feeling, more that I was afraid to snag it on something! Now I changed to a bar and it doesnt matter at all

Advertisement