Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

By-Pass Sineage

• 09-11-2009 5:44pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Driving on the new by-pass from Cork to Waterford. Following the sineage you take the turnoff left after passing the Manor Hotel. At the top of this turnoff you meet a small roundabout but discover that there are two signs for Waterford one to the right {bringing you to the B+Q road and the other is for straight on bringing you back dow onto the by-pass towards the new bridge. This can be very confussing for visitors who have never been here before.
    More than once I have come accross a car stopped on this roundabout obviously lost.
    If you happen to pick the correct turn you then have to travel all the way to the Cork road roundabout before you find a sign for City Center.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Beeker wrote: »
    Driving on the new by-pass from Cork to Waterford. Following the sineage you take the turnoff left after passing the Manor Hotel. At the top of this turnoff you meet a small roundabout but discover that there are two signs for Waterford one to the right {bringing you to the B+Q road and the other is for straight on bringing you back dow onto the by-pass towards the new bridge. This can be very confussing for visitors who have never been here before.
    More than once I have come accross a car stopped on this roundabout obviously lost.
    If you happen to pick the correct turn you then have to travel all the way to the Cork road roundabout before you find a sign for City Center.

It's not 100% clear, however, coming up to that slip road, there is a sign that says Waterford South iirc.

There should be signs saying Waterford South, Waterford North and City Centre. City Centre is a strange one through, since neither that exit or straight on brings you directly to the city centre as such, in fact either way is probably just as quick, the only difference being that straight on you pay a toll.

There should be a 'default' way of getting into the city centre from the bypass, and I guess that would be, exit for Waterford south, western link to ORR, ORR to old Cork rd., old Cork rd. to the Quay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

merlante wrote: »
    It's not 100% clear, however, coming up to that slip road, there is a sign that says Waterford South iirc.

There should be signs saying Waterford South, Waterford North and City Centre. City Centre is a strange one through, since neither that exit or straight on brings you directly to the city centre as such, in fact either way is probably just as quick, the only difference being that straight on you pay a toll.

There should be a 'default' way of getting into the city centre from the bypass, and I guess that would be, exit for Waterford south, western link to ORR, ORR to old Cork rd., old Cork rd. to the Quay.

Yes if you are a visitor and not familiar with the area you do need a clear indication of where to exit for the city center. When you reach the roundabout on the old Kilmeaden road there is no indication where you should go for the city center left??? right??? straight ahead???
    I just think this was not thought out very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

The difficulty here is that you are too far from the city centre for it to be signed. By following either sign for Waterford/Waterford South you should eventually come across a sign for city centre - no matter which route you take. This is how it should work although I'm unsure as to how it currently works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

there needs to be a sign at the old kilmeaden road roundabout as well for traffic coming from the bypass/bridge.

when you get to the roundabout there are 3 lanes lined out on the road but no arrows

logic would be the left lane is for traffic turning left (towards cleayboy), the middle one for traffic going up past b&q & the right for traffic heading out towards mt congreve (& poss also past b&q in the right lane)

there's always more cars in the left lane, with about 50% going straight ahead & 50% turning left
    it would ease traffic heading for the back entrance of the ind estate, especially during peak times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They could have clearer signs for lanes at most of the roundabouts. So many people use the wrong lanes. Having said that, many still do when there are clear signs, so, erm...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Kahless wrote: »
    They could have clearer signs for lanes at most of the roundabouts. So many people use the wrong lanes. Having said that, many still do when there are clear signs, so, erm...

I agree, nobody seems to use their indicators on roundabouts:mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Beeker wrote: »
    I agree, nobody seems to use their indicators on roundabouts:mad:

Don't get me started on the lanes, I'm in right going to third exit in the roundabout and the fool in the middle lane decides to start going infront of me as he wants the third exit as well.

Ok fair enough there are no arrows but if some people had common sense it would atleast help abit

Cabaal wrote: »
    Don't get me started on the lanes, I'm in left going to third exit in the roundabout and the fool in the middle lane decides to start going infront of me as he wants the third exit as well.

Ok fair enough there are no arrows but if some people had common sense it would atleast help abit

Unless I misunderstand, you appear to have been in the wrong lane. Normally (but there are exceptions when signposted), the right lane is for the third or subsequent exits.
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html
    Taking any later exits

* Signal right and approach in the right-hand lane.
    * Keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout.
    * Check your mirrors, signal left and proceed to your exit when it is safe to do so.
    * Signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want to take.
    j&r_roundabouts_leaving-by-later-exit.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kahless wrote: »
    Unless I misunderstand, you appear to have been in the wrong lane. Normally (but there are exceptions when signposted), the right lane is for the third or subsequent exits.
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

fixed,
    sorry bout that I actually meant I was in the right lane going to third exit :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Someone I know had visitors at the weekend, the were coming from Rosslare side going to the Limerick road. The got as far as the railway station roundabout and got completely confused, pulled in and called us. The sign at the roundabout says 'Rosslare' straight on! (N25).

The signs at the bottom of the hill by the chipper in Ferrybank are completely blocked by the traffic lights. ooops

• Advertisement

They shouldn't have even gone as far as Ferrybank. Should have turned off to the new road out around the Slieverue area. I don't know how well that's signposted though as I was only on it once myself and that was coming from the Waterford side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Its signposted very well from Slieverue.

At the roundabout just past the Rhu Glenn there is just one direction indicator for 'Waterford' - which points towards the bypass.

The road to Ferrybank isn't signposted at all.

However, I have to agree that the signage west of the railway station is a bit chaotic.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

On another point I got the 15:40 bus from Cork city to Waterford last friday and instead of turning right at the carrick road roundabout the bus driver carried straight on, even though the bus was meant to go through Kilmeaden.
    Lucky for me I was city bound but there were 2 passengers on the bus who were going to kilmeaden and I hope they complained to bus eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

there needs to be a sign at the old kilmeaden road roundabout as well for traffic coming from the bypass/bridge.

when you get to the roundabout there are 3 lanes lined out on the road but no arrows

logic would be the left lane is for traffic turning left (towards cleayboy), the middle one for traffic going up past b&q & the right for traffic heading out towards mt congreve (& poss also past b&q in the right lane)

there's always more cars in the left lane, with about 50% going straight ahead & 50% turning left
    it would ease traffic heading for the back entrance of the ind estate, especially during peak times

That roundabout should definitely be signposted. However, I don't think that turning left at the Old Kilmeaden rd. roundabout should be the normal route for the city centre, because the road is not great after the IDA estate. The old N25/Cork rd. is a far better road to take people into the city centre. Locals might prefer the other route for various reasons, obviously.

Advertisement