Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thornabrucky /rant

Options
  • 09-11-2009 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure some of you are familiar with the back road that is Tonabrucky. Yes it's a handy wee route that avoids some traffic but seriously; there are some drivers on it that *really* need to learn some etiquette.

rant/

Yes it's narrow, but if the layby is closest on your side, use it, if there's a narrow part of the road ahead two cars won't fit or at the very least it will be a tight squeeze exacerbated if one of the cars has a bad driver. If you're driving something larger than a car, anticipate oncoming traffic and pull in as needed, don't look gormlessly when a car comes along and you are both fecked.

Also, it's hilly, blind hilly, so don't drive like a lunatic and be surprised when you have to brake suddenly because of an oncoming car, take a skid and nearly end up in the ditch; drive appropriate to the road conditions; i.e. not like Lewis Hamilton. Also don't speed generally on the road, especially now when it's wet; the surface on it really isn't up to it.

And thirdly, it is a two way road, yes you may be in a hurry to get to work but have some consideration for the person driving in the opposite direction, they pay their road tax too and have no wish to end up in a dyke.

Yes, I am tired of driver behaviour on this road:p

/rant

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You mean Tonabrucky?

I used to like that area until the rubbish started mounting and the traffic escalted.
    Now it's used as a shortcut to avoid Dangan and Knocknacarra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

snubbleste wrote: »
    You mean Tonabrucky?

Ooops:o

My Bad. Not a native so apologies for improper spelling. But yes that's where I mean!
    I used to like that area until the rubbish started mounting and the traffic escalted.
    Now it's used as a shortcut to avoid Dangan and Knocknacarra

And it's the driving habits of some on said short cut that irk me. I nearly ended up in a field today thanks to an idiot in a golf; and that wouldn't be the first time:rolleyes:

It's a country road turned into a ratrun.

Stick to the main roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

It's a country road turned into a ratrun.

Stick to the main roads.

...and hope to God/Allah/the Fonz that the bypass gets built so that vehicular traffic is directed to where it belongs on purpose built roads rather than old country lanes.

Tonabrucky used to be a lovely place to cycle or go for a walk. Not anymore.

Personally (although I HAAAATE them) I think it would be the lesser of two evils to see traffic humps (or whatever you call them) on Tonabrucky and roads like Kingston Road buy only when the option of a bypass is provided. It'd be great to see residential roads and country roads returned to people with traffic directed around rather than through the city and its residential areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

churchview wrote: »
    Tonabrucky used to be a lovely place to cycle or go for a walk.

Yes indeed.

PLEASE remember that there are no real pathways on these roads, so those walking or cycling to school/work from these houses are really vulnerable.
    Not everyone HAS a car too.
    Be particularly mindful at night of non-drivers, and walkers/cyclists, light up and vest up to make it safer for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭AdamantApproach

The badger's anus

Advertisement