Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price per Block

• 09-11-2009 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Just got a price of 0.60 for footings and 0.95 per block for house? Includes installation of cills/lintles/ties/insulation/flues and filling of chimleys. Priced through. How does this rate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

Building a large retaining wall, going with a quality block layer at 90cent a block on flat. We supply the blocks and mortar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭paul127

got my house done for 0.60 cent a block inclued cills/ ties /lintles/flues (galway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

paul127 wrote: »
    got my house done for 0.60 cent a block inclued cills/ ties /lintles/flues (galway)
    he must be a polish blocklayer or is he drawing the dole as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

mossfort wrote: »
    he must be a polish blocklayer or is he drawing the dole as well?

Whats this about ? Could'nt the man askin for €1 be claiming the dole as easy as the next man.

Would you prefer to pay a man 90c a block for doing the same job yet having an attitude for takin a pay cut on his €2..

If a man wants work, he'll do it at a reasonable rate and the reasonable rate in galway these days is anywhere from 55c to 70c + VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

paul127 wrote: »

This is about right around galway. back to an honest days wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

It's looking the same here in Limerick, I've a couple of lads all pricing in and around 60 cents....

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Got a top notch blocklayer in galway for 75 cent all in. Could have got cheaper but I was worried about the quality/experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

some guys in kerry laying blocks for 40cents per block!

Naux wrote: »
    Got a top notch blocklayer in galway for 75 cent all in. Could have got cheaper but I was worried about the quality/experience.
    thats sounds about right for a good blocklayer.
    anyone laying blocks for 40 cent or even 60 cent will be doing a rush job
    when you average it out between no holiday pay ,no bank holiday pay ,no pay on wet days,supply his own mixer and scaffolding and fit cills lintels flues, flue gatherers, dpc, aeroboard a skilled man would need 75 cent per block .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Having seen my "cheap" blocklayers throw blocks into the foundations, I fully agree that 70-75 cent is really necessary to allow the blocklayers to take a bit of care with the blocklaying. Didnt think I would end up saying this but you do get what you pay for. The blocklayers I'm using for the rising walls were about 1000 euro more but worth every cent, and more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,446 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The crap about blocklayers working for 40c per block and fitting cills, insulation etc, own scaffolding & labourer is such nonsense. It simply cannot be done. Say even a good blocklayer is laying 500 blocks a day on fair runs. So he might lay doing well 2,200 blocks allowing time for fitting cills etc
    2200 * 40c = €880. Now paying a labourer properly and stamping for him with cost at least €100/day so work that out.
    Then from experience, these guys who get into a job by quoting a silly low figure will then start turning the screw once in. It will be so much extra to fit lintels, extra for cills, extra for flue liners, gatherer, extra for own scaffolding, extra for insulation etc. THese same guys will be the type to claim delays for no valid reason too from experience. While many of these charges are valid when you are charging 40c / block, my point is that they will work out alot more expensive and basically,40c/block cannot be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭KingPuck

I'm building a 2,400 sq ft bungalow, all hips, no gables.Approx 1700 blocks for deadwork and 6,700 blocks for rising walls with 6" cavity which will be pumped after.

I got a price of 9k, for the blocks. He is fitting cills, lintels etc. Is this too much to pay? It's your typical bungalow, 2 bays at front. As cavities are pumped he won't even have to handle insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

KingPuck wrote: »
    I'm building a 2,400 sq ft bungalow, all hips, no gables.Approx 1700 blocks for deadwork and 6,700 blocks for rising walls with 6" cavity which will be pumped after.

I got a price of 9k, for the blocks. He is fitting cills, lintels etc. Is this too much to pay? It's your typical bungalow, 2 bays at front. As cavities are pumped he won't even have to handle insulation.

Its too much in my opinion. 6.5k to 7.5k I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ddoc

i have just had blockwork done from slab up on 2400ft storey and half just outside buncrana donegal, around 7500 blocks =5100 euro that included cills and scaffolding ,they done agreat job could not fault there work i am a building contractor in birmngham so i know the criac

ddoc wrote: »
    i have just had blockwork done from slab up on 2400ft storey and half just outside buncrana donegal, around 7500 blocks =5100 euro that included cills and scaffolding ,they done agreat job could not fault there work i am a building contractor in birmngham so i know the criac

they were working old johnny cash.

maybe the price of 9000 euros includes vat.
    about 75 cents is a good price for quality work if its the other way.
    there should plenty of takers if the house is a straightforward hip roof bungalow.
    just make sure to get good experienced blocklayers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ddoc

mossfort wrote: »
    they were working old johnny cash.

maybe the price of 9000 euros includes vat.
    about 75 cents is a good price for quality work if its the other way.
    there should plenty of takers if the house is a straightforward hip roof bungalow.
    just make sure to get good experienced blocklayers.

your right there should be plenty of blocklayers out there who do you a good price

• Registered Users Posts: 1 michaelwalsh75

BLOCKLAYERS DOS ANY BODY NO ANY BLOCKLAYERS TO BUILD A HOUSE .. I WOOD LIKE TO FIND OUT HOW MUCH A BLOCK TO LAY . THERE IS ABOUT 5000 TO 6000 BLOCKS AND ..... I LIVE IN GALWAY CITY THE HOUSE IS LOUGHREA

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭vertico

BLOCKLAYERS DOS ANY BODY NO ANY BLOCKLAYERS TO BUILD A HOUSE .. I WOOD LIKE TO FIND OUT HOW MUCH A BLOCK TO LAY . THERE IS ABOUT 5000 TO 6000 BLOCKS AND ..... I LIVE IN GALWAY CITY THE HOUSE IS LOUGHREA
    About 80cent p/block thru the opes

• Registered Users Posts: 6 flo_rida

How much to lay a block now a days if its through the books or cash....

we don't do 'cash' we obey the law the here

Advertisement