Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the bar ain't bending...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

westside for skinny bastards ftw! I think you'd have a lot of fun on it. However if you want to do stronglifts I guess it mainly depends on what weight you start at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Molly wrote: »
    I see you did 80Kg for 5x5 recently but what's your max squat at? There's plenty of people doing stronglifts with relatively big numbers. If you're going to do it don't start off too high though.

The last time I tested my 1RM it was 110kgs. I figure I could start at 70 and work from there.
    Maybe even adding the weight weekly as opposed to every workout.
    westside for skinny bastards ftw! I think you'd have a lot of fun on it. However if you want to do stronglifts I guess it mainly depends on what weight you start at.

I looked at WSFSB a few months back and didn't like it. I dunno, not really big on spilt training.
    I enjoy the volume of 5x5 I guess.

Cheers for the feedback lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I'm seriously thinking about running stronglifts for 6 to 8 weeks. But with my numbers the way they are I don't think I could handle increasing the weight on the squat every workout. Maybe the advanced program might be worth looking at.

Anyone?

Do something proper.
    Like 5/3/1, Texas Method or Bill Starrs. Something that was designed by someone who actually knows something about strength training. Rather than a half assed rip off novice programme marketed to the hilt by some random belgian charlatan.

Or ask Transform to give you a more strength orientated programme. Seeing as he probably knows more that that Medhi chap.

Front Squat (70kgs)
    5reps x 5sets

Overhead Squat (drop set)
    20kgs - 10reps

Weighted Olympic Ring Dips
    BW + 15kgs - 5reps x 5sets

Parallel Bar Dips (drop set)
    BW - 10reps

Weighted Chins
    BW + 15kgs - 5reps x 5sets
    BW - 10reps (drop set)

Machine Hamstring Curls
    Plate 7 - 8reps
    Plate 7 - 8reps
    Plate 8 - 8reps
    Plate 8 - 8reps
    Plate 9 - 8reps

Cable Crunches (plate 15)
    15reps x 3sets

Side Bends (28kg Kettle Bell)
    15reps x 3sets

Finished up with 20 box jumps and some skin the cats on the rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

you should be working!

i remember i tried doing skin the cats before, scared the life out of me

• Advertisement

you should be working!

i remember i tried doing skin the cats before, scared the life out of me

Scared the living ****e outta me as well the first few (hundred) attempts! :pac:

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Do something proper.
    Like 5/3/1, Texas Method or Bill Starrs. Something that was designed by someone who actually knows something about strength training. Rather than a half assed rip off novice programme marketed to the hilt by some random belgian charlatan.

Or ask Transform to give you a more strength orientated programme. Seeing as he probably knows more that that Medhi chap.

Meh, I don't see how you can dismiss stronglifts so easily when it's proven it worth to so many people.

I looked at texas method a while back but it's to close to 531 for me.

Think I've figured out a suitable programme that should keep me happy for a while. I'll wait and see if it makes sense on paper.

I mainly do my own programming anyways. Get my assessments and technique check ups from Transform.

do what i do, coan philipi and then arse around for everything else!

Meh, I don't see how you can dismiss stronglifts so easily when it's proven it worth to so many people.

Think I've figured out a suitable programme that should keep me happy for a while. I'll wait and see if it makes sense on paper.

I mainly do my own programming anyways. Get my assessments and technique check ups from Transform.

Has it?
    Its a linear progression they all work to some effect.
    I just think the exercise selection is silly.
    Why not do a row or pullups on workout A instead of a load of assistance work?
    Why do pullups after deadlift, when your back should be fatigued?

Anyway, why are you looking to start a novice progression when you can pull over twice your bodyweight?

And if you do your own programming, why would you decide to do take the programme of some nobody?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Not at all. Squat 5x5 Monday, 2x5 lightweight Wed and a heavy triple, double or single Friday. You can fit other lifts into that template too except maybe the deadlift which is usually kept to just a heavy set on Friday.

Never liked the look of stronglifts either, looks a bit gimmicky. I'd say for your strength and experience its gonna give your limited results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The last time I tested my 1RM it was 110kgs. I figure I could start at 70 and work from there.

Any reason you think your DL is substantially ahead of your squat? Have you always just focused more on your DL? I'm sure you have the strength to get that number up easy enough.

Sangre wrote: »
    Any reason you think your DL is substantially ahead of your squat? Have you always just focused more on your DL? I'm sure you have the strength to get that number up easy enough.

It's got to do with my squat technique when I lift heavy. I know I could squat well over 110 if I sorted out the problems but I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. I might try video my squat and post it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

It's got to do with my squat technique when I lift heavy. I know I could squat well over 110 if I sorted out the problems but I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. I might try video my squat and post it up.

I'll give you a hand with your squats if you want. I'm there 5 days a week anyway just let me know when you're heading up to lift heavy

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Not at all. Squat 5x5 Monday, 2x5 lightweight Wed and a heavy triple, double or single Friday. You can fit other lifts into that template too except maybe the deadlift which is usually kept to just a heavy set on Friday.

Never liked the look of stronglifts either, looks a bit gimmicky. I'd say for your strength and experience its gonna give your limited results.

Cheers, I must look over texas method again so. I just remember it being very similar to 531.

COH wrote: »
    I'll give you a hand with your squats if you want. I'm there 5 days a week anyway just let me know when you're heading up to lift heavy

Cheers man, I'd really appreciate it if ya cast an eye over it alright.

Cheers, I must look over texas method again so. I just remember it being very similar to 531.

Its realllllly not.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Texas_Method

Squat (85kgs)
    5reps x 5sets

60kgs - 10reps (drop set)

Cable Row (170)
    5reps x 5sets

Overhead Press (40kgs)
    5reps x 5sets

Weighted Dips (20kgs)
    5reps x 5sets

25kgs - 5reps (drop set)

Cable Crunches (16 plates)
    15reps x 3sets

Hanging Leg Raises (toes to fingers)
    10reps x 3sets

Rings to finish (L-sits, Front lever tuck pull-ups and skin the cat)

Bodyweight Deadlift (75kgs)
    24" Box Jumps
    Push-ups
    21 - 15 - 9

Time: 5:38

Deadlift Bleep Test (Bodyweight 75kgs)
    15 minutes. (120 reps total)

500m Row- 3 Rounds.

Deadlift bleep test was savage. I collapsed with the bar after 14 reps with something like 6 seconds left. I somehow managed to get back up and grind out another 15 reps with seconds to spare.

Squat bleep test next.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Deadlift bleep test was savage. I collapsed with the bar after 14 reps with something like 6 seconds left. I somehow managed to get back up and grind out another 15 reps with seconds to spare.

Squat bleep test next.. :D

Deadly going!!!!!!:D

I'm sooo trying this when I'm all fixed:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Dude,

You're off your head.

Sincerely,

L.

• Advertisement

+1.

Dude,

You're off your head.

Sincerely,

L.
    +1.

Meh..

Growacet.jpg

:D:D:D

Fair enough we/I were having a laugh earlier, but in all seriousness I don't see the point of the beep test? Your max is about 170 or something isn't it?

Fair enough we/I were having a laugh earlier, but in all seriousness I don't see the point of the beep test? Your max is about 170 or something isn't it?

180. I was doing the bleep test more as a met-con/endurance type workout.
    + It was hella fun. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭VIS VIRES

I have to give this a go..

id give it a go but i get a pump doing deadlifts with just the bar. so...

Defo give it a go lads. I'm gonna try it again before the end of the month with 100kgs (because I hate myself like that) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Defo give it a go lads. I'm gonna try it again before the end of the month with 100kgs (because I hate myself like that) :D

Does your form not disintegrate?

It sounds like a whole lot of risk for minimum benefit.

Front Squat (70kgs)
    3reps x 5sets

Wide Grip Pull-ups (slow & strict)
    8reps x 5sets

Bench Press (70kgs)
    5reps x 5sets

Back Extensions
    BW + 10kgs
    10reps x 5sets

Cable Crunches (15 plates)
    20reps x 3sets

Rings to finish (L-sits & skin the cat)

Wanted to do weighted pull-ups but couldn't find the weights belt.. next time.

• Advertisement

Does your form not disintegrate?

It sounds like a whole lot of risk for minimum benefit.

Not with 75kgs it didn't. (I'm always careful with my deadlift form) I could have gone for the 16 reps but I knew I'd probably compromise my form at that point so left it.

Advertisement