Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPGs and rare console games

Options
  • 09-11-2009 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I'm trying to build a collection of RPGs, and was just wondering are there any hidden gems I could be missing out on, or where are the best places to find some good bargains on rarer games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Before Retr0gamer arrives: Suikoden 1 and 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Terranigma on the SNES.
    Star Ocean 2, Suikoden 1 and 2 and Lunar: Silverstar Story and Eternal Blue Complete on the PSOne (both of which I'm considering putting on eBay).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Alundra, all youll ever need
    legend of legaia

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr. K wrote: »
    Before Retr0gamer arrives: Suikoden 1 and 2!

Damn you, you got there first!

Yep get Suikoden 1 and especially 2. However you'll probably have to pay through the nose for them but they are well worth playing, Suikoden 2 is by far the best RPG on the system.

On PS1 you can't really do wrong with the Squaresoft games such as Vagrant Story and Front Mission 3. Grandia is also a fabulous game as is the sequel on the PS2.

You should also pick up anything in the Shin Megami Tensei series. It's the best JRPG series by far. First on your list should be the Persona series of games and pick up Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne/Lucifiers Call as well. They are the best of a series of must have games. Nocturne used to go for 80 dollars or more until it was rereleased recently.

If you want saturn RPG's then the very best RPG you can get on any system is Panzer Dragoon Saga. It's horribly expensive and rare but it's a fabulous game.

The only bargains you will get on rare games is at car boot sales or finding a buyer that doesn't realise what they have and this doesn't happen very often.

Thats pretty much off the top of my head. I'll try and think of more worth buying.

Stay the hell away from the Saga series, those games are rotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 scange01

Thanks lads! God didn't know so many were as passionate, I really should start posting more often! Was reading the unfinished games thread and felt so guilty! I had alundra, but I think it disappeared:( And recently acquired Legend of Legaia! Currently replaying ff7 on PSP and it's what put me into this mood! The Saga series being Saga Frontier and Unlimited Saga etc?.. Have FM3 and Vagrant Story, quality, but.. unfinished! Are the Suikoden games NTSC only? I bought Persona 4 off Play but it went out of stock and got an email saying they were shipping it three weeks ago... to a previous rented address where I got evicted from and have just blanked the landlord since, whoops, so debating whether to get back in touch to collect that!
    My personal faves are Legend of Dragoon, Golden Sun, Grandia 2, Wild Arms, Tales of Symphonia and I had a thing for Dark Cloud...

That goes without saying the FF series dominated my childhood however!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can do better than the Final Fantasy series. Since I've gotten a bit older and played a lot more games I've realised that it's far from the best JRPG series around although FFVI, FFX and FFIX are fantastic games. Suikoden 1 and 2 did get PAL releases but they are even harder to find than the already rare NTSC games.

Persona 4 is well worth getting but I kind of prefer Persona 3 to it.

I forgot to mention the Dragon Quest series. DQVIII is a brilliant game and well worth hunting down and should be quite cheap. Also by the same team is Rogue Galaxy which is great.

Can't believe you list Legend of Dragoon as one of your favourite games. It's one of the worst JRPGs I ever had the misfortune of playing. Can't believe I was stupid enough to stick with it and finish that PoS.

Yep Saga is Unlimited Saga and Saga Frontier. Awful stuff.

Get yourself a PSP and especially a DS. Loads of great stuff on them like Jeanne D'Arc, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Chrono Trigger, FF Tactics, Mario and Luigi, Etrian Odyssey etc. It's the new home of JRPGs.

Also if you have a PS3, you need to get Valkyria Chronicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,379 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mario RPG (SNES)

Shenmue (DC)

Earthbound (SNES)
    Can't believe you list Legend of Dragoon as one of your favourite games. It's one of the worst JRPGs I ever had the misfortune of playing. Can't believe I was stupid enough to stick with it and finish that PoS.
    Why are all the mods around here the most unreasonable $^&$@#&^(@!^)($81203 about the Greatest Games of All Time? I love LoD. For the story mostly. Admittedly, the combat system gets very tiresome and lacks the variety of things like Final Fantasy.

Now Dark Cloud - you begin to catch on to the repetitiveness by the time you reach the 3rd town or so. And dont get me started on .Hack - that was just woeful. And I had fair expectations for it too.

Overheal wrote: »
    Why are all the mods around here the most unreasonable $^&$@#&^(@!^)($81203 about the Greatest Games of All Time? I love LoD. For the story mostly. Admittedly, the combat system gets very tiresome and lacks the variety of things like Final Fantasy.

Becasue Legend of Dragoon isn't a great game. It's a giant crock of ****. The battle system is indeed arse. As for the story, it's pure rubbish and hookum with the princess getting captured all the time and a rubbish story and it doesn't even carry it out with any charm that might save it. Also some comical engrish and voice acting. It's a horrible mess of a game that was flung out by Sony to capitalise on the Final Fantasy series. It's a game designed by commitee that ticks all the boxes of a final fantasy game except it isn't fun, has no heart and is just boring. I thought it was universally derided by everyone thats old enough to know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Becasue Legend of Dragoon isn't a great game. It's a giant crock of ****. The battle system is indeed arse. As for the story, it's pure rubbish and hookum with the princess getting captured all the time and a rubbish story and it doesn't even carry it out with any charm that might save it. Also some comical engrish and voice acting. It's a horrible mess of a game that was flung out by Sony to capitalise on the Final Fantasy series. It's a game designed by commitee that ticks all the boxes of a final fantasy game except it isn't fun, has no heart and is just boring. I thought it was universally derided by everyone thats old enough to know better.

I like the music in some boss fights

Don't you dare! You know well that this game winds me up no end and you're abusing that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

star ocean the second story,try amazon.co.uk they have a good selection.

star ocean the second story,try amazon.co.uk they have a good selection.

Good luck finding a PAL version though. It's one of the rarest PAL games around. It probably goes for cheap but it never shows up. There's loads of NTSC copies. Also has some comically bad voice acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,379 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Don't you dare! You know well that this game winds me up no end and you're abusing that!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Good luck finding a PAL version though. It's one of the rarest PAL games around. It probably goes for cheap but it never shows up. There's loads of NTSC copies. Also has some comically bad voice acting.

Amazon have pal copies but there very expensive.
    Overheal wrote: »

Thats a great game,really enjoyed playing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

What about Harvest Moon? I remember search for the N64 version for ages but never could come across one...

If I could I' ban Overheal and Sephiroth dude for bad taste in JRPGs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Isn't Star Ocean: The Second Story remake as good? :P I've been considering buying it for psp, it's pretty cheap on cdwow. Although since I just started playing SO4 I figured I should get through that and the first one first :P

I don't know how rare it is, and it's for ps2 but I REALLY liked Shadow Hearts, never got to play the sequels though :(

and +1 for alundra :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

How on earth has this thread got to its 2nd page and no one mentioned

Secret of Mana and ChronoTrigger on the snes.

kisaragi wrote: »
    I don't know how rare it is, and it's for ps2 but I REALLY liked Shadow Hearts, never got to play the sequels though :(

I hated the first shadow hearts but heard the sequels are way better particularly the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

If you can find it on both the SNES and Megadrive; Shadow Run

I'd consider the SNES version the superior of the two. Just felt more involved to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

final fantasy tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Xenogears - NTSC only

Great game

Possibly some of the xenosaga series, i seem to remember the first one was good but it tailed off after that. Not a patch on xenogears.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,354 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr. K wrote: »
    Suikoden 1 and 2!

I used to think these games were the bees knees but as I got older I realised they were just common-as-muck war stories.

Xenogears is decent enough. It has a lot of problems like a battle system that isn't great at times and the terrible second disc but the story is interesting even if it goes into too much silly anime cliches.

Xenosaga is crap though, don't touch it. Xenosaga 1 opens up with one of the best openings to a game ever but afterwards it gets very boring with the odd excellent cutscene every so often. I beat it but didn't enjoy it. Xenosaga 2 I gave up after 8 hours, it was awful and I haven't played 3 yet.

noodler wrote: »
    I used to think these games were the bees knees but as I got older I realised they were just common-as-muck war stories.

Have you played and beaten Suikoden 2. I can't see how you could call it a common as muck war story if you did because it's very close to the story of the Water Margin which is considered one of the greatest stories in literature. Also I fail to see how anyone can not be moved by the events that happen in halfway through the game up until the end.

Suikoden 1 has a simple war story but it's a very good one and it deals more with friendship than any other theme. The best scenes for me are before big battles when friends are spending what could be their last hours together getting ready for battle. Suikoden 1 and 2 are also one of the few JRPGs that have storylines that don't rely on mystical maguffins to advance the the plot. There's mysticism there but the plot is advanced by the deeds of ordinary people. Also all of the battle tactics that are used in Suikoden 2 are based on the tactics used in famous battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,354 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have you played and beaten Suikoden 2. I can't see how you could call it a common as muck war story if you did because it's very close to the story of the Water Margin which is considered one of the greatest stories in literature. Also I fail to see how anyone can not be moved by the events that happen in halfway through the game up until the end.

Suikoden 1 has a simple war story but it's a very good one and it deals more with friendship than any other theme. The best scenes for me are before big battles when friends are spending what could be their last hours together getting ready for battle. Suikoden 1 and 2 are also one of the few JRPGs that have storylines that don't rely on mystical maguffins to advance the the plot. There's mysticism there but the plot is advanced by the deeds of ordinary people. Also all of the battle tactics that are used in Suikoden 2 are based on the tactics used in famous battles.

1189960203870cp7.jpg

I sometimes don't get your sarcasm and fall hook, line a sinker for it :)

tales of symphonia on the gamecube and rogue galaxy and grandia 1 and 2 also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

I would recommend Vandal Hearts 1 and 2,Tombi 1 and 2, Vagrant Story, Legend of Legaia 1 and 2,Jade Cocoon 1 and 2, Azure Dreams and Dragon Valor also Breath of Fire 3 and 4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Much as I love Final Fantasys 7 and 9, Suikoden 2 is by far my favourite game of all time. I'm kind of a Suikoden obsessive! :)

Also, Wild Arm 3 is the only Wild Arms I enjoyed and Dark Chronicle is a gem that hasn't been mentioned yet.

I also loved all 3 Shadow Hearts games. Shadow Hearts 2: Covenant is by far the best and it's definitely the funniest.

Advertisement