Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPGs and rare console games

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I would recommend Vandal Hearts 1 and 2,Tombi 1 and 2, Vagrant Story, Legend of Legaia 1 and 2,Jade Cocoon 1 and 2, Azure Dreams and Dragon Valor also Breath of Fire 3 and 4.

Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 have aged terribly - they're pretty unplayable now. Vagrant Story however, is coming to the EU PSN Store soon, which is great news. Azure Dreams is a great shout - an infuriatingly brilliant dungeon crawler with some mental dating-sim elements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really liked Vandal Hearts, reminded me of the excellent Shining Force 1 and 2. Sure it isn't complicated but it's good fun and the simple story at least cracks on at a decent pace. Vandal Hearts 2 is a bit too werid for it's own good and really difficult. I really want to start it and finish it some day because there seems to be an absolute cracker of a story to it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Shining Force 1 and 2

Pity they were never released in europe :-/.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They definitely were released on the mega drive. Shining Force 3 also came out but episodes 2 and 3 of shining force 3 stayed in japan but there's a web based translation of both if you want to go through the effort and the save games of the japanese games are compatible with the american and europena game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

shining force 1 is on the ps3/xbox mega drive collection is it not. Link's awakening on the gameboy is another must play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Final Fantasy VIII and Dino Crisis 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Vagrant Story is coming to PSN if you have a PS3. Don't think the controls suit psp as the game used the right analog stick for camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Suikoden 1 is on the US PSN for $6.
    Also +1 for Terranigma -- get the PAL version because the Yanks never got it, HAHAHA!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Dino crisis 1 and 2 were great games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Some of my favs...

Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast, and a slightly updated version on Gamecube)
    Final Fantasy IX (Seems to be the PS1 FF that people forget)
    Phantasy Star IV (Sega Megadrive, and on numerous compilation discs)
    Shenmue I and II (Dreamcast, more adventure games, but I loved them)

Really can't stress just how good Skies of Arcadia is! Get your hands on it!!

Am I imagining it or has nobody mentioned the old Zelda games?

• Advertisement

Am I imagining it or has nobody mentioned the old Zelda games?

Hardly RPGs are they? Excellent games but you couldn't classify them as RPGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hardly RPGs are they? Excellent games but you couldn't classify them as RPGs.

Action RPG perhaps? Either way, some of the old carts would qualify for the "rare console games" part of the thread title.

They aren't action RPGs either. The only thing they have in common is the top down view. They are pure action games with metroid elements. They are also some of the most common games to find unless you want a pristine boxed snes or gold cartridge N64 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mhairt

Shining Force 2 on the mega drive was the game that hooked me on rpgs. It is a classic. Just after replaying it using an emulator. Still as good as I remembered.

Mine as well although at the time I didn't even realise it was an RPG.

Advertisement