Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using an Eircom router with other provider

Options
  • 09-11-2009 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Got a wireless router (Router Name
    Motorola Netopia
    Model
    2247-62)
    with Eircom, seems to have Eircom settings "hardcoded" into it.

Currently with Eircom, If I move to UPC etc at some stage can I use this wireless router with UPC etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've seen Eircom routers reset to work with a digiweb line. Some routers have two home pages, one that just gives information about the router and another admin page where you can actually change settings. Are you sure your logged into the admin account?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I connect to it thru my browser, just got the router from Eircom today, I'm not prompted for a password. I can go into expert mode and change various things, guess this means I have admin access

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The netopia is a combined wireless router and dsl modem.

To use this with UPC could be problematical as ideally you would need what is known as a 'cable' wireless router i.e. one that has not got a dsl modem built in.

In any event upc seem to be providing combined wireless modems and routers to their customers now.

If you have just got the netopia from Eircom today you are certainly planning ahead!

Advertisement