Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VGA vs S-Video and SCART

Options
  • 09-11-2009 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I am using a 19 " Sony CPD 200SFT trinitron multiscan CRT monitor. It is old-school but the image and resolution is good. 1280 X 1024

The graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. It has an s-video output plus some wierd square kind of connection with lots of holes/pin inputs

I have a 32" lcd flat screen that has SCART, S-Video, phono inputs for Video and Left/Right audio.

Is there any point trying to use my LCD screen or is the Sony monitor better?

If I were to try to connect the LCD screen, what is the best connection or adapter? (SCART to VGA?, S-Video & composite & audio?)

Any suggestions?

Ta muchness,

S.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

can you post the make and model of your Lcd tv?

scart and s-video are just awful.

That square port your talking about is a DVI port. as far as I'm aware this will give you hdmi with a dvi-hdmi dongle.(check it out though)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sirspamalot

Hello CrinkElite,

the LCD TV is a SHARP AQUOS 32"

Yes, I hate SCART too. S-Video is an closed book to me.

Thanks for your help, I will check the DVI option through PEATS or someone with a higher IQ than mine.

Regards,

S.

according to wikipedia
    Because HDMI is electrically compatible with the signals used by Digital Visual Interface (DVI), no signal conversion is necessary, nor is there a loss of video quality when a DVI-to-HDMI adapter is used.

:eek: With a TV like that you really should go with HDMI. you can pick up a cable for less than €10 (I got mine from Xtravision for 15€) and a dongle for less than €5, or you can just get a DVI-HDMI cable.

Thanks CrinkElite,

I do not have HDMI output from my XP computer.

I want to use the TV as a monitor and want to get VGA--> DVI

I will follow up myself now that I know what DVI is.

Many thanks,

S.

plus some wierd square kind of connection with lots of holes/pin inputs
    Is this it?

http://www.atmarkit.co.jp/fsys/cableconnect/05disp_video/03dvi_d-box-l.jpg

if so you can get one of these.

http://www.sanace.com/IT/images/dvi-hdmi.jpg

and use a hdmi cable.
    The colour and definition are greatly superior IMO.
    picture calibration is done digitally by your tv, this will eliminate centring problems that you may/will experience with VGA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Thanks CrinkElite,

I do not have HDMI output from my XP computer.

I want to use the TV as a monitor and want to get VGA--> DVI

I will follow up myself now that I know what DVI is.

Many thanks,

S.
    OP, do the following :) HDMI Out (from 32" LCD) -> HDMI to DVI Cable -> DVI Port of PC = Best and easiest setup with highest quality.

LG-26LG30-26-LCDTV.gifUltra-HDMI-DVI-Cable.jpgs-video_vga_dvi_port_cable_tips_how_to_connect_your_my_pc_computer_desktop_laptop_to_tv_television_lcd_plasma.jpg

all a much of a muchness. whether you use the dongle or the dvi-hdmi cable, video quality will be EXACTLY the same,
    if you opt for a dongle you can use your cable with a ps3 or xbox also.

Hi again folks.

(deep breath)
    OK, I think I already know the answer...

...but I mistakenly stated that my TV had input options OTHER than SCART and S-Video.

There is no HDMI input, No VGA input and No DVI input on the TV.

I would appear to have the only LCD TV in the world that is limited to SCART, S-Video, and phono connections for Audio L&R and Video.

That doesn't sound like a great way to connect a monitor to an XP machine which has VGA and DVI outputs.

Any advice?

Oh woe is me!

S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Hi again folks.

(deep breath)
    OK, I think I already know the answer...

...but I mistakenly stated that my TV had input options OTHER than SCART and S-Video.

There is no HDMI input, No VGA input and No DVI input on the TV.

I would appear to have the only LCD TV in the world that is limited to SCART, S-Video, and phono connections for Audio L&R and Video.

That doesn't sound like a great way to connect a monitor to an XP machine which has VGA and DVI outputs.

Any advice?

Oh woe is me!

S

This is what you need:

x1 s video to scart converter (usually included with a games console if you or a mate have a spare one somewhere)

example:http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/n95fl.jpg
    link:http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=220483&C=SO&U=strat15

x1 svideo cable (goes from gfx card to scart converter either yellow slot or black slot depending on which svideo cable you have running form the gfx card)

x1 3.5mm stero jack to x2 RCA cable (3.5mm jack goes into your sound card into the lime green socket and you connect the RCA red and white ends to the red and white marked sockets on the scart converter)

or get something this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/l26aj.jpg
    Link:http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35910&C=SO&U=strat15

Which is pretty much all of the above in one package with a converter that turns the x2 RCA Red and White cables into x1 Stereo connection.
    Maplin are used only as a handy example, the above items can be gotten much more cheaply from other websites/shops because maplin are usually rip off merchants.

Do you have any of the above items?
    What Svideo jack do you have on your gfx card? Do you have any of the cables that came with your gfx card?

Also bear in mind the quality you will get on screen will be fine for watching movies on the telly, but forget about reading text very well as text will come out blurry even after increasing the text size and fonts used in windows.

I've been searching online for a SHARP AQUOS 32 that does not have HDMI and I cannot find one, Are you %100 sure you do not have a hdmi connection?
    one way to check would be the input menu on the tv itself

I don't mean to dispute what you're saying (please ignore this if you are sure) but it seems almost imposable that you would not have hdmi on a tv like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement