Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to pay remaining balance?

Options
  • 09-11-2009 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

About two weeks ago I ordered a 2-sofa suite of furniture. The suite was to be ready "in time for christmas". I paid 50% deposit, and presumed that the balance would be payable when the suite was ready.

Got a call today from the shop saying that the sale was over on Saturday, and that the balance would have to be paid before then.

I can't remember exactly the conversation at the point of sale but there was no mention of when the balance was due. I didn't ask because, as I say, I presumed it would be due when the suite was available.

So, will I have to pay it now, or would I be entitled to hold off until next month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Check your receipt - it might say balance due on... blah date, and there's probably some T&Cs on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

I personally wouldn't pay it - too many furniture companies use their customers deposits to fund their cashflow, and many have gone bust with customers losing deposits.
    Obviously most are fine, but I would be a bit worried that they are suddenly looking for a deposit for what seems to be a fairly spurious reason - so what if the sale is over - how does that change anything?.
    If you do decide to pay, make sure you use a credit card, so your deposit is protected (If the store goes bust the C/C company will refund your money).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As Thoie said, have a look for T&Cs or contract of sale.

Make sure to use a credit card - if the company does go bust, you will have some chance of recovering your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Checked the docket. Normally, the balance would be due 5 days before delivery "except during sale time when balance must be paid in full". It was a sale, so they are entitled to ask for it.

Just a bit concerned though. The called it a consolidation sale. They have 3 shops and are closing one of them.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the sale condition normally is to ensure that a sale item, usually an in-stock item, doesn't leave the shop with money outstanding. Even though it was a sale (15% off all stock on display), the transaction was as a normal non-sale transaction, i.e. examine the display item and place an order to get the suite manufactured.

I'm just a bit miffed that they can have my money for that length of time, and splitting the payment was a major factor in my decision to buy the suite.

EDIT: had paid the 50% deposit by CC, and will pay the balance this way also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It would appear that they have themselves covered there with the phrase "during sale time". It includes non-sale items bought during a sale period.

Stick with the credit card though - and hopefully you won't be kept waiting too long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Yes, stick with the credit card. If they fail in the meantime, you can claim it back within a certain time frame.

Beware though, you cannot do this with a laser or other debit card.

Advertisement