Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hill walking clothing and boots query

Options
  • 09-11-2009 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi
    I have just taking up some hill walking this year and need advice for some gear. I bought a pair of boots a merrel pair and I find them good and was out in some very wet and muddy conditions but did stay good and dry but want to know apart from letting the boots dry off and wipe them clean do I need to put something on them to keep them waterproof they are nubuc. I have been using a waterproof golf wet jacket and legging that I have and the leggings are good and are waterproof but I wanted to get a jacket with a hood that was warm. I saw a jacket in TK Maxx called Chamonix it is waterproof wind proof and breathable but it is quite bulky would this be very warm for the winter or would it be ok. I would only fit a light jumper underneath. What other type of items would be handy. I have just joined a group and intend to begin by doing some of their low lying walks. Yesterday's walk was 4 hours. I also see they have boots at good prices at TK Maxx and would consider buying a 2nd pair what brands do they have that people consider good. I have a rucksack and walking stick but felt that I could have done with waterproof gloves yesterday what type are recommended any other useful information welcome thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Other basic items:
    1. Windproof fleece - or maybe spend a little more and get a soft shell fleece.
    2. Jacket - I don't know much about Chamoux, but a good quality jacket should be waterproof, have a hood, windproof etc. Goretex or similar fabric would be best.
    3. Good quality daysack (approx 30-35litres).
    4. Proper walking socks.
    5. Map for the area you are walking in (OSI / Harveys / East-west mapping).
    6. Compass (and know how to use it)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

With regard to the boots, clean them and let them dry naturally, don't put them beside a source of heat. When they are dry there are a range of waxes you can apply, you'll pick them up in any decent outdoor store, just stay away from dubbin it's great for leather but knackers the stitching. I wouldn't worry about the finish on the boots, that'll go in time and hey the hills aren't a catwalk!

Advertisement