Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toll bridge approach stratagies

• 09-11-2009 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone ever try different approcahes to Toll bridges to see if they can avoid the cameras/

it must work sometimes cause I havent been charged for one or two trips across the bridge Iv made

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Tailgate and break suddenly when in range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Drive sideways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

The M what? Not heard of it. Is it a new boyband or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Flux Capacitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ManBurger

99.8% accuracy according to TV3 news, which apparentely is about 200 cars a day.

Biggest scam of the Toll bridge is not the 3€ they charge each way, but thje fact it goes up to 6€ in 24hrs and 40€ in 2 weeks - unpaid fines on the bridge make in €15,000 a day! these figures are from the NRA by the way.

Its complete extortion and anyone who thinks otherwise needs their head examined.

Why is there any late fee at all? I mean its not there';s extra administrative costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I collect dog poop from my local park and smear it on the reg. The cameras can't see shít. Oh wait....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I know with the London congestion charge cameras, if you change lane at a certain point the camera might not detect you.

The problem with London is you can't find out if they have detected you or not. If the camera detects your car, you either pay or get a fine. If it doesn't detect your car and you pay, they won't give you a refund. You could try changing lanes and not paying, but it's risky because you have no idea whether you have been detected or not until the fine comes in the post.

I always wondered about the M50. It will be interesting to see what people have to say about strategies for avoiding detection.

I presume you have a tag and it didn't detect it and you know from your statement (or something like that) that it didn't detect you?? But surely if the tag reader didn't detect you the number plate cameras would and they could charge your tag that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Scruffy countryside plates FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I only went through it once, never recognised my plate:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The feck does it matter it only affects the Dubs. They deserve to be overtaxed for their fancy pants traffic clogged roads with smooth pavement and Medians. No thanks I say. The dirt has a certain air of tradition to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

just before you come to the toll ,stop ,get out and with a bit of string tie the car to your feet then push it over the side and sidle along the edge of the bridge until your'e past the toll.
    it never gets your reg and it's a great workout for the arms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

If you swerve violently from side to side, the computer vision system has trouble tracking your licence plate. It has to be really fast though for it to work.

I was told this by the computering scientician what designed the system, so it is pretty much guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

€15000 per day for a road the ****ing EU paid for in the first place. Robbing barstewards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They see me tollin'

they hatin'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You should stop on the bridge and push the car the rest of the way, foolproof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If people went and got the tags from eflow there wouldn't be a problem. It works on just about all the toll roads in Ireland, is €12 a year rental, direct debit and the M50 goes down to €2 a pop. Pays for itself for anyone in Dublin, cmon we all use that road about once a month I'd say.

Even if not, the convenience value alone is EASILY worth the 12 yoyos. Even works at the tunnel.

www.eflow.ie - and no, I don't work for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

sdonn wrote: »
    If people went and got the tags from eflow there wouldn't be a problem. It works on just about all the toll roads in Ireland, is €12 a year rental, direct debit and the M50 goes down to €2 a pop. Pays for itself for anyone in Dublin, cmon we all use that road about once a month I'd say.

Even if not, the convenience value alone is EASILY worth the 12 yoyos. Even works at the tunnel.

I use the video one. Works out cheaper for us anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Simple, just remove ur reg plate from the front of ur car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

WindSock wrote: »
    I use the video one. Works out cheaper for us anyway.

Only works on the M50 though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

b*stard nearly crashed into me trying to avoid the toll on the M6 around 2 months ago, he got through before the barrier came down, but he was around 15 feet behind the car in front of him so the cameras had to pick him up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭lm7

its a big ring road with lots of road works. I go the old way , have not been on it in over two years. as far as i am concerned its not there. last time i was on it , they where doing road works diverting cars up the ballymount exit and back down on to the m50 it was a mess. not every garage or shop allows you pay. i seen people paying parking fee to go the shop to pay the toll. crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No need to worry,surely that Toll has stopped as the people who built the bridge for 30 million made their money back ten fold many years ago.Imagine if some idiots decided to let them keep the Toll for another few years and then buy it back off them for 15 times the original worth?? Couldn't happen in a sane country.:rolleyes:

Theoretically, could we collectively sue the government for negligent mismanagement of public funds at this stage?

Theoretically, could we collectively sue the government for negligent mismanagement of public funds at this stage?
    ...when half of those mismanaged funds are going to dublin infrastructure?

have fun with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

lm7 wrote: »
    its a big ring road with lots of road works. I go the old way , have not been on it in over two years. as far as i am concerned its not there. last time i was on it , they where doing road works diverting cars up the ballymount exit and back down on to the m50 it was a mess. not every garage or shop allows you pay. i seen people paying parking fee to go the shop to pay the toll. crazy.

The old way? I'm not familiar with it but is that not a lot of hassle no? Does it take longer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Sat Nav with toll avoidance option on.

Simple.

I'd much rather take the extra time and burn extra petrol going around tolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Get one of these (illegal) badboys: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16963

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

We have a tag, but we leave it at home.
    BF got spray on muck (you could use real muck but its dirtier). We just spray the front and back of the car with it before we go over the bridge.
    Never been charged yet :)
    And even if we did it would come up on the tag after they read the plate, so no fines.
    BFworked on the install the tolling system :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

You know anyone could emm accidently splash mud on their number plate shortly before they drive over the toll bridge .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

I like wudangclan's "pull car with string/workout" suggestion better tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

espinolman wrote: »
    You know anyone could emm accidently splash mud on their number plate shortly before they drive over the toll bridge .

Its more common than you think :)
    The amount of people i see on the M50 and you cant see their plates with the mud. Im sure they are all doing the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Buy a motorbike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

In before the lock.

But you may not realise the thread has been locked. Just keep posting, and you might get a letter next Friday telling you that the thread was locked the whole time.

• Advertisement

In before the lock.

But you may not realise the thread has been locked. Just keep posting, and you might get a letter next Friday telling you that the thread was locked the whole time.
    Which reminds me I havent endorse the Microwaves and Time Machines forum this Season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

okay...so this thread wasnt intended to be a list of ways to not have to pay...casue thatd be illeagal:rolleyes:

!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

Voltex wrote: »
    okay...so this thread wasnt intended to be a list of ways to not have to pay...casue thatd be illeagal:rolleyes:

!
    :eek: illegal , gosh i'd never do anything illegal . :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

espinolman wrote: »
    :eek: illegal , gosh i'd never do anything illegal . :rolleyes::D

Brill!
    so...where does one go to get those flip down pl;ates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

1)sorry law enforcement person... those damn hoodlums must've stole my license plates and put them in the boot again :rolleyes:

2)sorry law enforcement person... my car was robbed last night (by me) and got driven around a field at quite high speeds :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement