Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N97 *Mini* in Cherry Black on Vodafone.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Months after it's launched and has been usurped by the n900. That's why VF suck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

''Mini''. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

rizzee wrote: »
    ''Mini''. :pac:

Lol...yeah, what with Vf's firmware shenanigans: maybe the 8 *mb* is NO typo? Hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Its just another piece of junk by Nokia to get a few sales ontil the N900 is properly out. Then early next year everyone will ahve forgotten about it! Just like the N97 ;)

Months after it's launched and has been usurped by the n900. That's why VF suck.

Well... I agree with the s*ck part, but in this case they are actually among the first to actually sell it! It's the 'mini'... And N900 possibly appeals to a different clientele?! Lots of ppl won't change OS! They like 'familiar' - and it's not just the UI: a lot of familiar apps won't be available for N900 on launch: opera mini etc etc... So, I think the 2 can coexist. Not that I'm getting either :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Just remember the n97 has a resistive touch screen. My netbook has one, and it's seriously inferior to a capacitive screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Well I'm glad we're getting the handsets a bit quicker these days. It is what it is - if you don't like it don't by it.
    *hides from hail of anti-operator abuse*
    For the lazy it starts @ €220 on the lowest plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Random1

i see they're offering it on an 18 month contract. is there no such thing as 12 months anymore? due an upgrade, but 18 months is too long, i'd have it wrecked by then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

Random1 wrote: »
    i see they're offering it on an 18 month contract. is there no such thing as 12 months anymore? due an upgrade, but 18 months is too long, i'd have it wrecked by then!

Agreed ... 18 months is long time to be tied to a phone contract.

Very quick hands on.(via the nice folks at the bottom of Grafton St.)
    It really is a very, very nice phone.
    Feels way different to the 5800 - much more solid.
    There's a lovely heft to it too,even though it's quite small in the hand.

The metallic back cover feels good, and overall the unit feels extremely solid.

Reckon it's a true successor to the mighty N95 8GB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

long_b wrote: »
    Reckon it's a true successor to the mighty N95 8GB.

Over at allaboutsymbian they perfer the mini even though the regular N97 has a larger screen, 32GB mass memory, larger battery and FM transmitter. Not sure if i could give all that up.

foobar wrote: »
    Over at allaboutsymbian they perfer the mini even though the regular N97 has a larger screen, 32GB mass memory, larger battery and FM transmitter. Not sure if i could give all that up.

Just in the last 6 weeks I set up 3 phones with all my music and so on...all three were duds...died. In each case my stuff was lost and I had to start over... I prefer memory cards for that reason! Phone dies, you remove card and move on!

Battery size? Yeah, well, I think more efficient memory mapping etc may balance out the battery 'size'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Feels way different to the 5800 - much more solid.

How was the 5800 not solid?!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I think you'll find vf are now trying to shift as much stock as possible before the iphone is added to their list. They probably preordered the nokias when they were announced a million years ago. Nokia took ages to deliver and now with the iphone coming the operators want to shift old tech. I used to prefer nokia but look at their delivery. Has anyone else given up on waiting for phones such as the e72? Anyone else fed up with random freezes and a creaky back cover, as per the 5800?

kmart6 wrote: »
    How was the 5800 not solid?!:confused:

As mentioned above, the back cover was noisy and cheap feeling and ... let's see ... oh yeah, there was a big crack between the screen and the rest of the phone !

I even went into the Nokia store in London when I was there a couple of weeks ago and they looked at me like I was some type of ocd perfectionist and were surprised that I would want to read my phone in daylight. The shop had all the appearance of end of boom decadence...all flash and no customers. I despair for them as a once brilliant European company. Having said that, for the price the 5800 was a good phone but I'd be wary of any other resistive screen Nokia that is slow to respond, needs a stylus (uncool?) and gets full of dust.

As mentioned above, the back cover was noisy and cheap feeling and ... let's see ... oh yeah, there was a big crack between the screen and the rest of the phone !

Agree. Though I thought the 5800 felt nicer in my hand than the too-sleek-to-use iPhone, it definietely felt like a lower-midrange phone. Don't get me wrong: that's what Nokia said it was, 'an entry level toucher'.... the n97 mini definitely is in a different class built-wise. In fact, it feels much more like a high-end gadget than the n97!

Any dust issues with n97, having to tap the screen hard to get a response?

Advertisement