Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"All The Way Round": ICS Charity Logo Design (Please Read)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Quazzie wrote: »
    You're certainly not. Every opinion is a valid one and that's the whole purpose of the thread. Mine is certianly no more valid than anyone elses because mine is just a lay mans opinion
    Glad you don't mind. I think people have put a lot of good work in here, so don't want to step on anyone's toes.

The main point is that a logo should be simple and clear. If there's too many elements it's hard to recognise and won't become a brand. Also, if this, presumably, is going to be used on the side of cars, people should be able to see it quite clearly. I think there's some great ideas in what's presented so far, but I think it could be stripped back to the core of the idea so that people understand it if they only see it zooming by them. :) I hope that explains it. I'd like to see what the others come up with, but here's some black & white versions where I stripped back the last version of the logo by donkeystyle. (the same colours would be used as before, but i think it's often useful to look at something in b&w first to see how flexible a shame and icon it is)

Most basic version of the logo.
    Same as previously, just taking out elements and looking at what the core of the concept it. The title, and a car.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=96893&d=1258975468

As above, but adding in a tagline
    attachment.php?attachmentid=96894&stc=1&d=1258975494

Same again, but adding in a tagline & ICS logo.
    (There's too much going on for general use, but it may be useful to have a version like this for some uses in promotional material)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=96895&stc=1&d=1258975494

I hope that explains some of the points I was trying to make. These are just rough mockups and I hope the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,975 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

p wrote: »
    attachment.php?attachmentid=96895&stc=1&d=1258975494
    Liking that a lot. Would be interesting to see it in colour too. My only drawback is that the "flames" out the back kind of scream "speed" which is something we are trying to get away from. It isn't a race, and in fact we are considering staging it to discourage speeding.

On a positive note I love the font, and think it suits it perfect.

DonkeyStyle - what do you think? You drew the original shape, I think you'd do a better job than me changing it. Maybe you could incorporate some of my ideas if you see fit.

The font is Fontin Sans, which surprisingly, for such a high quality font, is free:
    http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/fontinsans.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah that's great stuff P, love the text and simplicity... definitely easier to instantly digest.
    Though I can't stop seeing the top of a dog's head with the ears flying back. (sorry I know it was just an example!)

I don't want this to be the donkeystyle show or have people walking on eggshells... so I've uploaded the vector version (svg) if anyone wants to collaborate on it.

Though I can't stop seeing the top of a dog's head with the ears flying back.
    Damnit.

Now thats all I can see :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

snoopy06.gif

:D

2311c.png

Same logo, but with p's font.
    I think it's a good improvement.
    I'm not sure about removing elements though... I mean it's a good idea, but I'm not seeing how, without a major re-think.
    I started this one out as extremely minimal and it evolved out of that... trying to continue the theme of 'going around' and incorporating more of the car.

2311c.png

Same logo, but with p's font.
    I think it's a good improvement.
    I'm not sure about removing elements though... I mean it's a good idea, but I'm not seeing how, without a major re-think.
    I started this one out as extremely minimal and it evolved out of that... trying to continue the theme of 'going around' and incorporating more of the car.

I like that version, but would like to see it if possible with the 2009 as in p's version.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I like that version, but would like to see it if possible with the 2009 as in p's version.

it'll be in 2010 though

draffodx wrote: »
    it'll be in 2010 though
    Oh yeah.

EPIC FAIL for me.:o

• Advertisement

Donkeystyle,

when you have time could you bring the orange swirl in closer, kind of have it "swoosh" over the car a bit and add in 2010 with All the Way Round?

2611a.png

Wasn't sure what you meant about bringing the swirl closer so I just kind of did that ^
    Adding the '2010' means we have to lose something else, both because of space and as P was saying, complexity.
    I made the '10' a little bigger than the '20' as P did in his 2009 text... maybe it doesn't work so well doing that with two characters... or maybe it's just weird because we're not used to seeing it.
    It could probably use more tweaking, but at this stage it seems to be back to the drawing board... implementing core ideas first and polishing second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

Sorry if this is not a good question, but why the car?

I did a design but it'll prob bring you all over the place now....sorry

ics.jpg

HandWS LTD wrote: »
    Sorry if this is not a good question, but why the car?

I did a design but it'll prob bring you all over the place now....sorry

ics.jpg

Something looks familliar
    imagesgay_20test.jpg

Something looks familliar

Ha ha.....never seen that before. I'll do another one so if the man is a little similar.

I think something car/driving/trip around Ireland orientated is what would be suitable.

Also a rectangular logo is what were after to go on the banner of a website, window stickers for a car etc..

ok...i'll try and get one ready tomo. Happy to help a charity. Any idea what the width and height should be e.g no more than a max of? As stickers are going to be used then the image will have to be much bigger. in a 300-600dpi printing resolution. Maybe a mixture of both the car designed by DonkeyStyle earlier and map. But i can't use theirs. maybe he can try using the map as well. i will provide another one.

ok....i had so many ideas, the ideas i did not use. The car with a man holding the map of ireland overviewing the dingle pensulia. What distracted me was the mermaid bit from the previous logo on this thread....couldn't get it out of my head. :pac:

What i did was i scraped the car altogether for that reason and used 2 backpackers on a bike. It's only a draft tho. What are the thoughts?

ics-demo.jpg

its a nice direction but having bikes in it means its threading on the toes of the ride4life guys and gives the wrong impression, we'll all be driving cars, no bikes or anything

ok.....back to the drawing board. would a car with a person standing with a map in hand pointing towards 2010 be good? In the same image instead of the bikes

• Advertisement

ok.....back to the drawing board. would a car with a person standing with a map in hand pointing towards 2010 be good? In the same image instead of the bikes

sounds interesting, theres no real need to have him point to 2010 if its more work

Okay guys. This discussion is getting very sidetracked.

The last version that DonkeyStyle did was pretty solid. It was clean, simple, had a core message and icon and was easily recogniseable and most importantly, easy to print. That's 90% of what you need for this situation.

I think talking about hands and maps and everything may be interesting, but I think it' geting sidetracked from what was a good solution. It's very easy for logo design discussions to go arund in circles and end up in a mess, from my experience.

My advice, is simply to take that logo. It's good as is, or is anyone has a bit more time to work on it, then try tweak it.

p wrote: »
    Okay guys. This discussion is getting very sidetracked.

The last version that DonkeyStyle did was pretty solid. It was clean, simple, had a core message and icon and was easily recogniseable and most importantly, easy to print. That's 90% of what you need for this situation.

I think talking about hands and maps and everything may be interesting, but I think it' geting sidetracked from what was a good solution. It's very easy for logo design discussions to go arund in circles and end up in a mess, from my experience.

My advice, is simply to take that logo. It's good as is, or is anyone has a bit more time to work on it, then try tweak it.

It is getting sidetracked....this is why i mentioned maybe DonkeyStyle should add more to it as his was the best before i joined in. He should keep at it. Thats the way it is with logo's. Most of the time if you can pick all the best designs and show them, then the people responsible can have mulitple choices and choose which is the best and then that one can be worked on.

I'm unsure if this is the case. But i'll give a new design anyway. If its ok to tweak DonkeyStyle's logo as well i will. Just let me know. I do not want to stand on his toes.

Most of the time if you can pick all the best designs and show them, then the people responsible can have mulitple choices and choose which is the best and then that one can be worked on.
    I have to say I agree with this. The more logos we have to choose from the better. We certainly won't be restricting this to just one at the moment.

Personally I think HandWS LTD's second attempt is pretty good and close to something I had envisioned. The major stumbling block being the bikes instead of cars. I like the simplistic bold lines that the bikes are drawn in though. Something along these lines in the shape of a car with just a plain green Ireland would be ideal. I know I'd certainly be interested in seeing it. The more choices that come forward the closer we will get to the ideal logo for the trip.

I'm still available to tweak the logo, but as P said, it's just going round in circles... personally I think the logo idea I was working on has peaked (thanks to the many helpful comments on this thread)... if it's still not good enough, then you'll have to help me out with more feedback and tell me what areas you have a problem with, what you want to move away from or more towards... otherwise I'm just blindly guessing what you want.

2311c.png
    I'm still available to tweak the logo, but as P said, it's just going round in circles... personally I think the logo idea I was working on has peaked (thanks to the many helpful comments on this thread)... if it's still not good enough, then you'll have to help me out with more feedback and tell me what areas you have a problem with, what you want to move away from or more towards... otherwise I'm just blindly guessing what you want.
    Ok. My feedback on this would be that the front wheel should be mirrored or rotated in some way, as the way it is now it denotes travelling backwards.

I'd also like to see it changed to blue as in keeping with the ICS colour scheme. I think the orange is a bit too bold, could it be made a tad lighter. It just feels too blocky* at the moment.

Could the text be marginally bigger, and I mean marginally, probably about 5%.

After that I think its pretty much a done logo. Its amazing to see how its come on so much since the original sketch design. Which isn't to say we won't be considering more.

*That might make no sense to you, it barely does to me, but I hope you get the point.

Hmm, there was one I posted after that... I don't know why imageshack has lost or deleted it.

Yeah good feedback there btw.

Here's that other one I posted on the 26th.

ok....this getting better? its still not pleasing me.

ics-demo2.jpg

ok....this getting better? its still not pleasing me.

ics-demo2.jpg

loving the car shape. The rear wheel is slightly forward but that's a minor thing. The map with the writing is a bit distracting, plus Leinster is in white while the rest is in black :confused: I like the font for that particular logo. It hints at Celtic writing which is nice. Personally I'd like to see the "all the way round" as it is with a smaller simpler map of Ireland like the one near the start of this thread in the middle with the car and driver at the bottom just overlapping the bottom half of Munster say.

All just my opinion of course. I really think in my head at least it's a two horse race at the minute for this. Maybe even a three horse race if we see a finalized version from P

• Advertisement

Its not a race for me.

Keep showing your opinion's as they are helpful. There is a few minor problems from this quick design. I just wanted opinions before i go further....and make the desired changes. All the text in map will be taken out. Tyre moved. A smaller map may be correct as you'll see the car better

Advertisement