Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the drawing board

Options
  • 09-11-2009 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

So after much procrastinating, I finally went back to the gym today. In my bag I had my gear and a surprising and unexpected dose of motivation, which is usually lacking. I sort of have to drag myself along usually, not really wanting to go, but knowing that I need to go. Today, I couldn't wait to get there.

But here's what I've ate

Breakfast
    2 bananas
    diet yoghurt with muesli

Snack at 11am
    Apple

Lunch
    Chicken breast with dry noodles (they weren't in any sort of sauce), salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, peppers, beetroot) with a sprinkle of grated cheese and balsamic vinegar

Protein shake made with water (after gym)

Dinner
    Chicken breast stir fried in olive oil with veg (frozen - peas, sweetcorn, carrots, string beans) with half a cup of Uncle Bens wholegrain rice boiled, with some sweet chilli sauce drizzled on it and some dried spices

Tea with low fat milk

1 granola bar (182 cals)

Workout

5 mins on the recumbent bike. I don't know if that's it's real name. It's the bike with the seat back. Did this to warm up

Seated row machine - 2 sets, 12 reps, either 20 or 60kgs, I can't remember which.

Leg Curl Machine - 2 sets, 12 reps, 10kg

Dumbbell Bench Press - 2 sets, 12 reps, 8kg dumbbell in each hand

Seated Calf Raise - 2 sets, 12 reps, 30 or 35kg. I could easily go heavier on this

Bicep Dumbbell Curl - 2 sets, 12 reps, 7.5 kg dumbbell in each hand

Triceps Extension - 2 sets, 12 reps, 20kg (2nd lightest setting).

9 mins on the crosstrainer on level 25 resistance (I think it goes to 50 or 100). Took a break for a few seconds to drink some water then did another 21 minutes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Day 2

So I woke up today feeling quite tired. I didn't really go to bed early enough I suspect and what with yesterday being my first workout in a few months, I guess it was inevitable.

I didn't feel too bad today, a bit sore from being back in the gym but nothing too bad.

Breakfast
    Muesli and low fat yoghurt

Lunch
    Chicken breast, dry noodles (no sauce), lettuce, tomato, sprinkle of grated cheese, balsamic vinegar, diet coke.

Whey Protein shake made with water (after gym)

Dinner
    Steak grilled on the George Foreman, half a cup of Uncle Bens wholegrain rice, some frozen veg (carrots, sweetcorn, peas, string beans) stir fried in olive oil with some cashews thrown in (natural plain, not salted or anything). Added in some sweet chilli sauce. Diet 7up

Granola bar (182 cals)

Two cups of tea with low fat milk

Workout

5 mins on the recumbent bike to warm up

Lat Pull down - 2 sets, 12 reps, 40 kg I think.

Dumbbell Lateral Raise - 2 sets, 10 reps, 5 kg dumbbell in each hand

Seated Dumbbell Hammer Curl - 2 sets, 10-12 reps, 8kg dumbbell in each hand

Leg Curl Machine - Hamstring - 2 sets, 10-12 reps, 20-30kg

Leg Press Machine - 2 sets, 15-20 reps - 210kg - started at about 160kg but it wasn't heavy enough so I had to keep increasing it. Could easily have surpassed 210kg

30 mins on the cross trainer, level 25 resistance.

Tomorrow I will be taking off from the gym, with an aim to repeat this workout on Thursday and Friday, then take the weekend off. Diet wise it's been going ok, I could probably eat a bit cleaner, for example cut out the noodles with lunch and just have pure veg with the chicken. Also I could probably cut back a bit on the rice and maybe skip the sweet chilli sauce, but if the food is too plain and boring I won't want to eat it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

What are your goals and current stats (height, weight, sex)?

Male, 32, 5ft 10, currently weigh 251 lbs which is a tad under 18 stone. I was 255 lbs last week but I'm not sure if it's an accurate reading as I didn't weigh myself at the same time this week in the same clothes.

Well, mainly I want to burn off the fat and get down to between 11 and 12 stone. Unfortunately I have the man boobs and big belly that droops over my belt so I want to get shot of them. That's why I think I might need to get as light as 11 stone to get rid of them. A few years ago I managed to get down to 14 1/2 stone and I guess they shrank as I had to buy smaller shirts etc, but I guess it didn't feel like they had. They were obviously still there.

I'd like to be really lean and athletic. Some muscle would be good, the superman physique as I call it. But I'd settle initially for just being lean and thin with no man boobs or belly!

Day 3

Breakfast:
    Nothing

Lunch:
    Wholemeal baguette with wholegrain mustard, sliced ham, grated cheese, lettuce and tomato. Glass of diet coke.

Dinner:
    Mince fried in olive oil, with Dolmio Light Bolognese, half a cup of Uncle Bens Wholegrain rice boiled, a plain naan bread (347 cals). Glass of diet 7up.

2 cups of tea, one with low fat milk, the other with nothing. 1 granola bar (180 cals)

I didn't go to the gym today as I've been for the last two days straight so my muscles need a break. The diet wasn't great today, but I didn't really want a salad again for lunch. Probably should have skipped the naan too with dinner.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Cut out the fizzy drinks and have water instead.

Eat something for breakfast. Porridge is a good option even if you are trying to loose weight. Slow energy release and will keep you full.

Eat more fresh veg (in containers brought to work - chopped up the night before). Avoid bread/pasta/rice/pizza.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

BossArky wrote: »
    Avoid bread/pasta/rice/pizza.

Really? I hate eating just meat and veg. Is wholegrain rice not ok? I rarely eat pizza these days of any description and I don't eat pasta too often either.

If you want to loose weight quickly then avoid those things mentioned above. By avoid I mean reduce your intake considerably - you can still have some every now and again... but just be careful that you are not codding yourself. Initially you could try having just meat and veg every second day. After a while bring it up to 2 days of 3, etc.

11 stone at 5 foot 10 will be pretty light. Maybe best to aim to get down to 14 ish stone though diet, weights and cardio. You can then reassess, plus it will seem more manageable.

Have you heard of www.fitday.com?

Create an account on there to track your calories in/out.

I got down to 14 1/2 stone a few years ago and there was still plenty of flab to get rid of. I'm sure it will be the same this time.

I agree with the breakfast though, I'm been trying to take it most days these days.

Day 4

Breakfast
    Muesli with diet strawberry yoghurt

Snack (11am)
    Maximuscle protein flapjack bar

Lunch
    Chicken breast, lettuce, tomato, beetroot, carrot, grated cheese, balsamic vinegar. Glass of diet coke

Dinner
    Half cup of Uncle Bens wholegrain rice, mince fried in olive oil, Dolmio Light Bolognese sauce, one large naan. Glass of diet 7up

Tea with milk, tea without milk, 1 granola bar.

Workout

5 minutes on the recumbent bike to warm up

30 minutes on the cross trainer, started at level 25 resistance for a few minutes then moved it up to level 30 for the rest of the half hour

20 minutes brisk walk on the treadmill, number 3 incline, built up to 6.1 in speed after 4-5 minutes and stayed at that until the time was up

Today was ok. I didn't do any weights in the gym today as I'm still sore from Monday and Tuesday. I think I will give it a few days to let the soreness go away then I'll go back to doing weights each time I'm there

I had a protein bar at 11am as I was starving. However I probably should have held off or had some fruit or something as I go for lunch at 12.

I'm going to go shopping this weekend and buy some fresh veg and bring it into work to snack on in the mornings between breakfast and lunch. Probably carrots and cucumber.

Day 5

Breakfast:
    Fruit scone with low low

Lunch:
    Chicken breast, lettuce, tomato, carrot, red cabbage, few small chopped up potatoes, grated cheese, sweet chilli sauce. Glass of diet coke

Dinner:
    Packed of Uncle Bens microwaveable rice, 2 chicken breasts stirfried in extra virgin olive oil, with veg and cashew nuts. Added in some sweet chilli sauce. Glass of diet 7up.

Tea with Granola bar 185 cals, Chewy Trail mix bar (114 cals)

Today wasn't a great day. I usually have cereal at work but they didn't have any of the muesli I normally eat. I have a box of muesli at home so I will start bringing in some each morning to have. The scone was ok but I know I shouldn't have had it. Lunch I could have skipped the sweet chilli sauce and dinner was a bit of a disaster too.

I didn't go to the gym today. I had planned to but one of my shoulders is a little sore still from earlier in the week so I'm going to rest it. I also had a bit of an upset stomach after lunch and didn't feel that good so I decided to skip the gym.

Exercise wise I've had a good week, going to the gym 3 times so I figured it was ok to give it a miss today. I will probably be doing a fair bit of walking tomorrow night depending on the weather so that will somewhat makeup for missing the gym today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Good luck with the log:)

Day 6

Breakfast:
    2 oatcakes with organic peanut butter
    Tea with no milk or sugar

Snack:
    Handful of cashews and hazelnuts

Lunch/early dinner:
    6 Big Als chicken dippers
    Erin Oriental Egg Fried Rice (low fat apparently)
    Sweet Chilli Sauce
    Diet 7UP

Late Night:
    Burger King
    Diet 7UP
    Tea, no milk, with 3 granola/cereal bars

Exercise/Workout:
    I walked from my place to the Luas which is about 15 minutes.

Today was a bad day. It started out ok, but I ruined it by eating Burger King and stuff late at night. I also really want a chinese so I'm sort of planning to have that tomorrow night, but other than that, watch what I'm eating and be more strict starting tomorrow and Monday.

Day 7

Breakfast:
    Oatflakes, raspberrys, strawberrys, few hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, spoonful of gojiberries, low fat organic yoghurt. (thanks B-Builder for the recipe)

Lunch:
    Small tin of tuna, Heinz low fat salad cream, raw carrots, some corgette, wholemeal pitta with wholegrain mustard

Maximuscle Protein Flapjack

Dinner:
    Chinese

Tea with water, diet 7UP.

Workout/Exercise:
    None

Not a great day. I knew I was going to have a Chinese as I was sort of gagging for one. Haven't had the best weekend food wise. Need to refocus from tomorrow. I'll be bringing some carrot and corgette to work to snack on in the mornings to stave off the cravings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Why don't you give up the fizzy drinks as mentioned? They mess up your blood sugar, creating cravings for fatty/sugary stuff, e.g Chinese!

celestial wrote: »
    Why don't you give up the fizzy drinks as mentioned? They mess up your blood sugar, creating cravings for fatty/sugary stuff, e.g Chinese!

Yep, I'll give that a try also.

I also took two sets of pictures. One of me in just my boxers and another of me wearing a t-shirt that's too small for me. I want to be able to fit into it ultimately, so I figured it would be a good way of measuring my progress.

As I said before, wish I could skip ahead a month or to, so I could see more progress. Just have to stick it out.

Day 8

Just a quick update, I had to post this. I'm not sure if I should totally believe the scales as when I weighed myself last week I had track suit bottoms and a tshirt on and this morning I was just out of the shower and in the altogether, but this is what it says:

Last Monday: 251 lbs

Today: 246.8 lbs

Like I say, the scales might not be accurate and I probably should have weighed myself with the same clothes but I'm going to use it anyway as a bit of extra motivation. I don't feel much thinner but hopefully I am a bit lighter anyway.

Full update to follow this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Day 8

Just a quick update, I had to post this. I'm not sure if I should totally believe the scales as when I weighed myself last week I had track suit bottoms and a tshirt on and this morning I was just out of the shower and in the altogether, but this is what it says:

Last Monday: 251 lbs

Today: 246.8 lbs

Like I say, the scales might not be accurate and I probably should have weighed myself with the same clothes but I'm going to use it anyway as a bit of extra motivation. I don't feel much thinner but hopefully I am a bit lighter anyway.

Full update to follow this evening.

Great work and that is a fair difference in a short space of time - you'll definitely have lost a pound or two. Think of it like this - say to yourself 'I'm gonna stick with this no matter what for 3 weeks' - at the end of those three weeks you'll be seeing noticeable changes and that will be likely be all the motivation you'll need.

Day 8 - Full Update

Breakfast:
    Mixed oatflakes with gojiberries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts and low fat yoghurt

Snack:
    Raw carrots and raw corgette

Lunch:
    Slice of ham, lettuce, tomato, few small potatoes, cous cous, balsamic vinegar

Whey Protein Shake made with water (after workout)

Dinner:
    Grilled steak on George Foreman, stir fried frozen veg and cashews in extra virgin olive oil, Uncle Bens Wholegrain rice. Added in some sweet chilli sauce and dried spices.

Tea with water, two oatcakes with organic peanut butter, Granola bar.

No diet drinks or soft drinks today, only water or tea.

Workout:

5 mins on the recumbent bike to warm up
    Seated Row to Waist Machine - 3 sets, 12 reps, 3rd lightest setting
    Leg Curl Machine - 3 sets, 12 reps, 5kg
    Incline Dumbbell Bench Press - 3 sets, 12 reps, 8kg dumbbell in each hand
    Standing Calf Raise - 3 sets, 10-12 reps, 3rd or 4th lightest setting
    Dumbbell Bicep Curl - 3 sets, 10-12 reps, 7.5kg Dumbbell in each hand (I could only get to 8 reps on the 3rd set)
    Tricep Extension Pulldown with Bar - 3 sets, 10-12 reps, 2nd lightest setting.

30 mins cross trainer, level 30 resistance, going at a good pace.
    6-7 mins brisk walking on the treadmill. I had planned to do 20 but needed to leave.

Today has been ok. My diet has been pretty good today, no soft drinks, diet or otherwise. I thought about skipping the gym this evening but I knew I'd hate myself if I didn't go. Also I left work just after 4pm and I knew I'd have nothing to do for the rest of the evening and most likely I'd be bored stupid. That's one thing that I think about which sort of makes me go. I think to myself "I don't want to sit there from 4.30pm just watching TV and surfing the net".

Day 9

Breakfast:
    Home made cereal, same as yesterday

Snack:
    Some Raw Carrot and raw corgette

Lunch:
    Wholemeal baguette with english mustard, lettuce, tomato, ham and grated cheese. Glass of water

Dinner:
    Stir fried chicken with frozen veg, cashews, soy sauce, Uncle Bens Wholegrain rice mixed with some Basmati rice, and sweet chilli sauce. Diet 7UP.

Tea with water, 2 oatcakes with organic peanut butter, granola bar.

Workout/Exercise:
    Nothing

I didn't go to the gym today. I had my gear with me but I was pretty wrecked all day. I didn't go to bed early enough last night and I could barely open my eyes this morning. It hasn't helped that I didn't get enough sleep at the weekend either. Anyway I'm planning to go to the gym tomorrow after work. Hopefully it won't be that busy as everyone will be watching the match instead. I won't be!

I sort of feel a little bad today for skipping the gym and for having that baguette. However it was one of the more healthier options available at the canteen at work and I didn't feel like having a salad again. And I went to the gym yesterday so I guess it's not the worst thing in the world to not go today.

• Advertisement

Day 10

Breakfast: Maximuscle Protein flapjack, two oatcakes with organic peanut butter.

Snack:
    Raw carrots and courgette.

Lunch:
    White bread sandwich with butter, ham, grated cheese, onion (it was a ready made sandwich) and a bag of crisps (241 cals). I know I know.

Dinner:
    Grilled steak, two slices of cheese in a wholemeal pitta, stir fried veg with cashews using olive oil, some Uncle Bens wholegrain rice mixed with some Basmati rice. Added in some sweet chilli sauce. Glass of diet 7up.

Tea made with water, 2 oatcakes with organic peanut butter, granola bar.

Workout:

7 mins on the recumbent bike

Seated Dumbbell Hammer curl, 3 sets, 10-12 reps, 8kg dumbbell in each hand
    Dumbbell Lateral Raise, 3 sets, 10-12 reps, 5kg dumbbell in each hand
    Triceps Pull down with rope, 3 sets, 10-12 reps, 2nd lightest setting
    Hamstring Leg curl, 3 sets, 12 reps, 10 or 20kg setting.
    Leg Press Machine, 3 sets, 15-20 reps, 230, then 250lbs for the last 20.
    Lat Pull Down Machine, 3 sets, 10-12 reps, 4th or 5th lightest setting.

30 mins cross trainer, level 30 resistance, good pace. Was fairly sweating.
    30 mins brisk walk on treadmill, level 3 gradient, built up to 6.1 speed after 3 minutes and maintained for the duration.

Today was grand enough. Lunch was a bit bad in that I had a ready made sandwich but it was the best of what was available. I know I shouldn't have had the crisps but the sandwich didn't seem like it would be enough and I didn't really fancy any fruit or anything. Workout was pretty good, although I'm wondering am I doing too much cardio. My tracksuit bottoms were rubbing against the inside of my thighs and left one of them a bit raw and sore.

I also have decided to skip the protein shakes as well for the time being.

Day 11

Breakfast:
    The home made cereal thing again

Lunch:
    Wholemeal baguette, grated cheese, sliced ham, lettuce, wholegrain mustard. Glass of water

Dinner:
    Chicken breast stir fried in olive oil with veg, cashews nuts, sweet chilli sauce and some wholegrain rice and basmati rice mixed. Diet 7UP

Tea with water, two oatcakes with organic peanut butter, granola bar.

Workout/Exercise:
    None

I meant to go the gym today but skipped it. I probably could have went, however there's some maintenance issues at my apartment and I wanted to get back to check up on it and see if the people were there investigating it. Will try and go tomorrow. Lunch wasn't perfect either but its too late now to worry about that.

PS: I'm almost sure my face is thinner and my jaw line is starting to appear.

im expecting big things from this log :)

jayoo wrote: »
    im expecting big things from this log :)

Nothing like a bit of pressure :P

I believe in you

now u cant possibly fail, unless disney has lied to me:mad:

I'm not expecting much either. Just a ripped body and a 6 pack so sharp, some hottie could grate carrots on it :D

Day 12

Breakfast:
    Home made cereal again

Lunch:
    Char grilled vegetable and spanish chorizo sausage wrap. Bag of crisps (241) cals, diet coke.

Snacks:
    Nothing

Dinner:
    Chicken breast fried in extra virgin olive oil, added in carrots, cucumber, half a jar of Uncle Bens Light Sweet N Sour Sauce (about 150 cals), 5 Big Als chicken tenders, fairly big portion of Basmati Rice.

Tea with hot water, granola bar (185 cals), trail mix bar (114 cals)

Workout:

7 mins on the recumbent bike to warm up

Seated Row to Waist. 3 sets, 12 reps, started at 2nd or 3rd lightest weight for the first two sets then went up one for the 3rd set.
    Leg Curl Machine - 3 sets, 10-12 reps, 5kg plates on each leg.
    Standing Calf Raise - 3 sets, 12 reps, 4th or 5th lightest setting.
    Triceps Pull Down with bar - 3 sets, 12 reps, 2nd lightest setting.
    Incline Dumbbell Bench Press - 3 sets, 12 reps, 7.5kg dumbbell in each hand (I couldn't find the 8kg dumbbells until after I'd finished).
    Dumbbell Curl, - 3 sets, 10-12 reps, 7.5kg dumbbell in each hand. I could only get to about 9 reps on the 3rd set.

30 mins cross trainer, level 30 resistance, not sure about speed. Heart rate was in the 150-160 range for the duration, so it has come down a bit I think which is good. Machine said I burnt about 460 cals.

30 mins brisk walk on the treadmill. Level 3 incline, built up to 6.1 speed after a few minutes and stayed at that until the 30 mins was up.

Today hasn't been too bad. My diet wasn't that good today, lunch and dinner were a bit rough. Not as bad as they've been before but I've slacked a little this week with my lunches. I could probably do with cutting down on portion sizes with dinner too.

I'm not out tonight so I plan to hit the gym first thing in the morning for more cardio. I don't know if I'm going out tomorrow night, but if not, I may try and go on Sunday morning too. Will see how it goes.

I was looking for my weight watchers card from last year to see how my weight loss went back then. After 13-14 weeks I'd lost 22.5 lbs. Not bad, but that was 3.5 months and to be honest, I'd like to lose that within 2 months max this time.

Day 13

Breakfast/Lunch:
    Wholemeal baguette, 2 slices of ham, 2 slices of low low cheese, wholegrain mustard, cucumber. Diet 7up

Snack:
    Granola bar, trail mix bar, tea with water.

Dinner:
    Basmati rice, Big Als Chicken Tenders (5 or 6), half a jar of Uncle Bens Light Sweet n Sour Sauce.

Later:
    A skin full of drink. Well maybe not. One pint and about 6 Jack Daniels and coke.

Workout:

7 mins of the recumbent bike.
    30 mins on the cross trainer, level 30 resistance, good speed.
    30 mins brisk walking on the treadmill. Gradient 3, built up to speed 6.1 after a few minutes and maintained it for the rest of the time.

I'm a bit late posting this. An ok day yesterday. I got out of bed and got into the gym by about 8.30am so it was good to go there first thing. Especially as my stomach was empty so I could burn fat for energy. I wasn't that tired afterwards, although my legs were starting to sting a little :) I was completely ravenous though after the gym and to be honest, cereal wasn't going to cut it so I went for the wholemeal baguette. I ended up going out last night and had a right few drinks. To be honest, going out and not drinking is rarely and option for me and I had a right few drinks, but I was still fairly coherent by the end of the night. Also I hadn't been out in ages and felt like I was losing my mind and becoming a hermit.

• Advertisement

Quick update.

So I weighed myself today. I was going to wait until tomorrow (Monday) so it would be a week exactly but I'm too impatient.

Starting Weight: 251 lbs

Last Monday: 246.8 lbs

Today (Sunday): 243.6 lbs

I don't know if those figures are right, but according to them I've lost 7.4 lbs in two weeks which is just over half a stone.

My diet hasn't been perfect and could be improved. It's been good enough and I've been in the gym 3 times the first week and 4 times this week. So I guess it's not impossible. Just need to keep going now.

Advertisement