Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the drawing board

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Day 14

Breakfast:
    Nothing

Lunch:
    Junk food, diet 7up

Dinner:
    Junk food, diet 7up.

Tea with granola bar and chewy trail bar.

Workout/Exercise

None whatsoever.

Today I was massively hungover so I just had junk for most of the day.

Day 15

Breakfast:
    The home made cereal again

Lunch:
    White bread sandwich with butter, ham, grated cheese and onion. A few mouthfuls of diet coke

Dinner:
    Wholegrain Rice mixed with basmati rice, stir fried chicken, veg, cashews, sweet chilli sauce, diet 7up.

Tea with water, granola bar, two oatcakes with organic peanut butter.

Workout/Exercise:
    None

Today was alright and unfortunately I'm still suffering the effects of my night out on Saturday drinking. I felt bad today. Headache, bit of a sore throat, very sleepy, restless and fidgety. I know this is just because of the drink. I haven't been drinking in a while and although I didn't get smashed on Sat night, I still wasn't sober. Didn't go to the gym today as I just didn't have the energy and I got held up at work anyway. I'm seriously thinking about giving up the drink as it led to me eating a load of junk yesterday, two days at least of feeling bad, plus excess cals, plus missing the gym. Not a very good investment.

Day 16

Breakfast:
    Home made cereal with low fat yoghurt

Lunch:
    Thick brown bread sandwich with wholegrain mustard, ham, grated cheese, plain chicken, lettuce and tomato. Glass of water.

Dinner:
    Mix of Wholegrain and Basmati rice, grilled steak, stirfried veg in olive oil with cashew nuts, sweet chilli sauce. Glass of diet 7up

Tea with granola bar, and two oatcakes with organic peanut butter.

Workout:

7 mins on the recumbent bike
    2 sets of the seated row to waist machine, 12 reps, about 40lbs/kg
    3 sets of the tricep pull down, 12 reps, 3rd lightest setting (this has gone up now)

30 mins on the cross trainer, level 30 resistance, pushed it to level 35 for the last 4-5 minutes.
    30 mins brisk walk on the treadmill, level 3 gradient, 6.1 speed.

Today has been alright. I sort of cut my weights workout short as the gym was full of c***s sitting around on benches doing f*** all. I'm a bit annoyed that I didn't go over and ask to use one of the benches, next time I will.

I was out on Sat night and the hangover seems to have finally worn off. I didn't get to sleep last night until 1am, even though I was wrecked, and I was up at 6.45am this morning. I briefly considered skipping the gym but I actually felt ok today, just incredibly sleepy. I've got plans tomorrow night so I won't be able to get then, so I'll have to go on Thursday. I may be going home on Friday and if so, I probably won't get then either, or over the weekend. Will see how it goes.

Day 17

Breakfast:
    Low fat yoghurt, apple, banana.

Lunch:
    White bread sandwich with butter, ham, grated cheese, onions. Glass of water.

Dinner:
    Wholegrain and Basmati rice mixed with Big Als Chicken tenders and sweet chilli sauce. Glass of Diet 7UP

Tea: Granola bar, two oatcakes with organic peanut butter.

Workout/Exercise:
    None

I was meant to be going out tonight to meet someone, then I was going to head to a concert in town. However the person I was due to meet cancelled on me and I couldn't be arsed going to the concert. As a result, I didn't bring my gym gear with me to work. I was so hungry when leaving work I probably would have passed out in the gym anyway :)

I slept better last night but wasn't that tired, even though I should have been exhausted. Unfortunately I won't get to the gym now until the start of next week. I'm heading home to the north tomorrow straight after work and I won't be back until Sunday.

I've ordered a bench to use in my apartment and I'm going to bring my dumbbells and barbell down from the north too. I'll buy a few extra plates and will do some weights workouts in my apartment. I got a bit sick of the weights room in Westwood so I wanted to see what I can do myself at home. I'm still going to go to Westwood to do the cardio. I know I could do that outside or whatever, but with the weather in this country, there's not a hope of me sticking to that promise.

Day 18

Breakfast:
    Homemade cereal with low fat yoghurt

Lunch:
    Brown bread sandwich with bacon, grated cheese and some sort of sweet chilli type dressing (ready made one) and a bag of crisps (about 190 cals)

Dinner:
    Chinese takeaway

Tea with milk, wagon wheel and 1 finger twix bar.

Workout/Exercise:
    None

Today was a pretty bad day food wise. I was going home to the north straight after work so I didn't get to the gym and I probably won't now until next week.

• Advertisement

Day 19

Complete write off, all the food I had was fairly bad so I won't even bother listing it.

Workout/Exercise:
    None

I have a bit of a cold at the moment. Am wishing it would either come on or go away rather than half linger like it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's your diet that's killing you man.

You have to think of it that every time you hit the junk food or the taytos or the chocolate that it's taking so much out of your 25 minutes on the cross-trainer and all the rest of the cardio you're doing.

I'm a fiend for the crisps myself as well so I understand the cravings, but just try to avoid the nasty food as much as possible - it's such a hinderance.

The thing is not to expect to be able to completely stop eating it all immediately. If you try to go completely cold turkey you'll end up breaking out and eating a tonne of it at some stage, but just be conscious every time you pick up something like that - even as you're eating it - that it's forcing you to do that extra mile on the treadmill and you'll find you'll sub-consciously start to train yourself off it.

You're doing great so far though, make sure you keep posting your progress.

I've noticed that some of your more recent entries have been a little bit less detailed. That's probably a sign that your motivation is waning. The great thing is, you're really close to the habit stage now - if you can beat this little lapse in motivation over the next 3-5 days (assuming that's what you're going through to some extent) you'll really find it much easier next week and the following weeks because you'll be over that hump.

Keep at it man!

EDIT:
    Even on the really bad days you should take the time to write up what you ate - it'll help you stay motivated I think as you'll see the improvements you can make tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

You need to get the crap food out of your house, i could go a month without eating or buying crap but if u put a tin of roses in the same house with me i would eat the whole thing in a day,

At the moment your training will still out weigh your diet, but as u shed more pounds it will catch up on you,

what about changing up snacks, popcorn and honey was my fav when i was tring to cut and need something sweet.

another good option would be to get some protein bars, mtself and my friend bought loads,bulk discount:D, and they worked out at under a euro a bar and are really nice, just like eating an unusually chewy choclate bar:)

Are you seeing strenght gains?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Day 14
    Today I was massively hungover so I just had junk for most of the day.
    Day 15
    I'm still suffering the effects of my night out on Saturday drinking. I felt bad today.
    Day 18
    Today was a pretty bad day food wise.
    Day 19
    Complete write off, all the food I had was fairly bad so I won't even bother listing it.

I don't want to be despondent here but it seems you are not THAT serious about getting in shape. If you continue like above you are not going to get anywhere soon.

Come on - sort it out. People here want to help you and see you succeed.

Have you created a www.fitday.com account yet?

Yeah I know I've slacked off a bit. No real excuse really. I'll be back in the gym on Monday so that should help me get back on track.

Sometimes the eating thing is tough and I don't really want a salad with a plain chicken breast and balsamic vinegar for lunch, but it seems to be the healthiest thing we have at work. It's either that or a sandwich/wrap, or some sort of hot food dish. I don't like eating my "dinner" around lunchtime as even if I have a big dinner then, I could easily eat another at 7pm. I'm much more used to having something smaller at lunch-time and dinner in the evenings and I prefer it that way.

Anyway, just have to put the head down and get back to it.

I think my weights programme is a bit inconsistent. I've got my dumbbells, barbell and plates packed up so I'll start using those when I get back to Dublin tomorrow. The weights room at the gym sort of puts me off sometimes, so I should have enough stuff to be able to do a decent weights workout at home. And I'll head to the gym to do my cardio as well.

• Advertisement

jayoo wrote: »

another good option would be to get some protein bars, mtself and my friend bought loads,bulk discount:D, and they worked out at under a euro a bar and are really nice, just like eating an unusually chewy choclate bar:)

What make/brand of protein bars do you have? I bought Maximuscle Prograin Flapjacks, they're alright. I used to have these Reflex Protein bars but I got so sick of them.

Couple of more things, I've created an account on FitDay there now. From what I can see I've ate about 1000 cals so far today which doesn't seem quite right, I'd have thought it was more.

Weights. As I mentioned, my weights programme is a bit erratic. I'm not doing weights the same amount of time each week, and probably not increasing the reps/weight like I should.

I used to be a member of Dundrum gym and they had a good programme for me then were they'd give me a weight and after every second visit, I'd increase the reps by 1. So for the first two visits, I might to 10 reps, the 3rd and 4th visit, 11 reps and so on.

I've got the following equipment that I can use at home. A barbell, two dumbbells, some plates, a preacher curl bar, a triceps bar, and a bench. I want to try doing my weights at home rather than at the gym. I'll continue to do cardio at the gym as its more convenient and more enjoyable.

I was looking at the Starting Strength programme and videos online. Are there some of the exercises, I need some sort of rack to start the movement off on? Stuff like military presses and squats seem to require the barbell be already on a rack. I don't have one and won't be buying one so I'm wondering if it will still be possible for me to do stuff like squats with the barbell behind my neck and plates on it.

Sorry for the newbie-ish type questions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Couple of more things, I've created an account on FitDay there now. From what I can see I've ate about 1000 cals so far today which doesn't seem quite right, I'd have thought it was more.

Are you sure you are entering the correct amounts? It takes a while to get familiar with portion sizes. If you have a weighing scales take a few days to weight your usual meals and figure out the carbs/protein/fats in each.
    I was looking at the Starting Strength programme and videos online. Are there some of the exercises, I need some sort of rack to start the movement off on? Stuff like military presses and squats seem to require the barbell be already on a rack.

For military press you can just pick / power clean the bar up off the ground like I was doing here. Be sure to keep your back arched and don't round forwards when picking up.

You can use a similar method to get a bar overhead and lowered on to your back... just don't try anything too heavy with this method as it could be dangerous if you fail without a rack.

Have you tried doing Dumbbell floor presses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ7nYw_rFZ8

in this clip he is keeping his arm close to the body which makes it harder than the below clip in which he is using a rang of motion closer to normal benching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L39rtOFWA0&feature=related

I like these because you feel very secure and stable while doing them, and u always have a free hand just incase things go tits up

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/mp-max/mybar/mybar-high-pro/
    these are the bars, myself and my friend bout 12 boxes which came to 143 pounds =157 euro, which comes to 1.09 euro per bar, postage was only 7 or 8 euro.

they taste quite nice, are chewy and they really do fill you up. with ordering stuff on line it would be worth seeing if any other boards members in your area would also like to buy, because bulk discounts rock

they also have this product
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/mp-max/one/one-promilk/

i havent tried it but it seems good, and if you bought in bulk it works out quite good price for a quality snack

http://forum.myprotein.co.uk/myprotein-co-uk-announcements/26453-mp-6000-gold-voucher-giveaway-latest-news.html

they also have a little promo going on so if you did want to buy maybe leave it a few more days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Yeah I know I've slacked off a bit. No real excuse really. I'll be back in the gym on Monday so that should help me get back on track.

Sometimes the eating thing is tough and I don't really want a salad with a plain chicken breast and balsamic vinegar for lunch, but it seems to be the healthiest thing we have at work.

The weights room at the gym sort of puts me off sometimes, so I should have enough stuff to be able to do a decent weights workout at home. And I'll head to the gym to do my cardio as well.

Hi, just my two cents here but could you not prepare something in the evenings to take to work and heat up at lunch? That's what I normally do myself. Do they not even have veg in the canteen that you could have with your chicken breast? It might fill you up a lot more if the salad is leaving you hungry. And here as for the junk food you really should just rid the cupboards of it because trust me it's so much easier not to eat when it's not there! I used to eat loads of it years ago and just went cold turkey one week and now I wouldn't want a bar of choc if you put it right in front of me, it's amazing how quickly habits can change.

Why don't you like the weights room in the gym? Is it that you find it intimidating or is it just too packed? You're paying the same amount as everyone else to be there so just remember that when you're doing your workout.

Chin up, you've done really well so far so it's just a matter of listening to the guys on here now who know ther stuff, and taking their advice to get to where you want to be. :)

They have a salad bar at work with different types of veg. I try to avoid the stuff that's mixed in mayonnaise or dressing, so it tends to just be the plain veg like lettuce, tomato, beetroot, peppers, cucumbers, spring onions etc.

Its normally ok just sometimes I get sick of it.

Anyway I'm back in Dublin, weights with me. I'll be starting on the Starting Strength programme tomorrow. I'm not exactly sure how much I should be lifting on it (weight wise), but I'll give it a go.

I've got a barbell, dumbbells and about 40kg in plates so that should be enough to get me started. Will hit the gym beforehand as well probably to do some cardio.

I don't really have much in the way of junk at the apartment. I've got flavoured rice cakes, granola bars, chewy mix trail bars and protein bars.

I'm not sure what it is about the weights room that I don't like. Occasionally it's packed, but it's more a case of all the f****rs who seem to be gawking at me. I don't feel like that happens when I'm doing cardio in the gym. Or at least, I don't feel as aware of it. There's something about the weights room I don't like though. Never have.

Day 21

Breakfast:
    Home made cereal (about 50 grams of organic oat flakes, tablespoon of goji berries, about 6 almonds, 6 walnuts, 6 hazelnuts). A yoghurt. They didn't have any low fat yoghurts at work so I just had a normal one (175 cals)

Lunch:
    50-60grams (uncooked weight) of wholegrain/basmati rice mixed. One chicken breast grilled. Some dried spices. Glass of diet 7up.

Dinner:
    400grams of mince fried (drained the fat off it). Half a jar of Dolmio Light Bolognese. About 100 grams (uncooked weight) of wholegrain/basmati rice mixed. Glass of diet 7up.

Cup of tea with a Maximuscle Protein Flapjack bar.

Workout/Exercise:

7 mins of the recumbent bike.
    30 mins on the cross trainer. I moved it up from level 30 to level 35 resistance for the half hour

Squats - 3 sets, 5 reps, 10kg

Deadlift - 1 set, 5 reps, 25kg

Dumbbell Bench Press - 3 sets, 5 reps, 12.5kg dumbbell in each hand

So today I got back on track and although my dinner was a little big, everything else was pretty good food wise. I didn't get any veg into me today which is a bit of a shame. I'll add some into the lunch I'm making for tomorrow.

I began the Starting Strength programme this evening. I did my cardio in the gym and came home and did the weights here. It went ok, however I know I'm not lifting as heavy as others do and I could probably do more on the squat and maybe the dead-lift. Regarding the squat, I'm doing it at home with a barbell and I have no rack so I think that is going to limit me in how much I can lift because of how I have to lift the bar behind my head and lower it down onto my neck/shoulders. I'm thinking about doing the hack squat instead. Would that be just as good?

The dead-lift went ok, but I need to buy some more plates I think. I reckon I could lift heavier on it but it was my first day so I didn't want to overdo it. It will also be interesting to see how stiff and sore my back is tomorrow :)

The dumbbell bench press went ok. I slapped on 12.5kg plates on each and by the 5th rep on the 3rd set, it was tough. I just about got it out. I could maybe have done one or two more reps, but it would really have been pushing it.

So overall, today was good. I'll cut back on the dinner portion sizes and do heavier squats and deadlifts.

I also only done 30 mins cardio today. I'm thinking about doing that going forward, except for the days I don't do weights and I might do 1 hour. Thoughts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Day 21

Dinner:
    400grams of mince fried (drained the fat off it). Half a jar of Dolmio Light Bolognese. About 100 grams (uncooked weight) of wholegrain/basmati rice mixed. Glass of diet 7up.

Cup of tea with a Maximuscle Protein Flapjack bar.

Why are you eating 400g of mince in one sitting?? That's far too much. I eat about 125g of turkey mince when having mince. 400g of mince is anything up to 1000 calories, and even the leanest mince would still be about 600kcals at 400g. With the rice and other stuff your dinner alone could be 1200kcals or so.

Should you not try and cut down meal sizes? You have to deal with hunger pangs if you want to lose weight, simple as, they get easier as time goes on though.

I bought the packet of mince a while ago and froze it, cutting it into two. I hadn't bothered to weigh it or anything first. I'll be cutting down on the portion sizes a lot more from today onwards.

I also only done 30 mins cardio today. I'm thinking about doing that going forward, except for the days I don't do weights and I might do 1 hour. Thoughts?

I think 30 minutes decent cardio per day is not bad, especially if your diet improves and your weights regimen is up to scratch...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

OP, a quick suggestion would be to eat 6 smaller meals throughout the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I bought the packet of mince a while ago and froze it, cutting it into two. I hadn't bothered to weigh it or anything first. I'll be cutting down on the portion sizes a lot more from today onwards.

Well if it's weight loss you're looking for, a 500g pack should do you 4 meals, next time quarter it

Day 22

Breakfast:
    50-60 grams of organic oatflakes, 6 almonds, 6 hazelnuts, 6 walnuts, tablespoon of gojiberries, low fat yoghurt.

Lunch:
    50-60 grams (uncooked weight) of wholegrain/basmati rice mixed. Grilled chicken breast, few green beans, dried spices. Glass of diet coke.

Dinner:
    50-60 grams (uncooked weight) of wholegrain/basmati rice mixed. 125g of mince, fried in extra virgin olive oil, some veg, half a jar of Dolmio Light Bolognese.

Tea with Maximuscle Protein flapjack.

Workout/Exercise:

7 mins on the recumbent bike
    30 mins on cross trainer, level 35 resistance. Burnt about 460 cals according to the machine.

Today was a pretty good day. My lunches are surprisingly nice and seem to be about the right amount of food. I was surprised at how small 125 grams of minced beef raw but I'm going to stick to those sizes going forward.

I didn't do any of the starting strength programme today as I think I'm supposed to do one day on, one day off, etc. So I should be doing it again tomorrow, this time, workout B.

I was sort of thinking about skipping the gym today but I knew I'd feel better for going and I knew I'd just be sitting around watching TV all night if I didn't go. It fills up my days a bit more as by the time I go to the gym, get home, shower, make some food, eat it, it's about 7.30pm. Like now, I'm just finished my tea and its 7.20pm.

I was sort of thinking about skipping the gym today but I knew I'd feel better for going and I knew I'd just be sitting around watching TV all night if I didn't go. It fills up my days a bit more as by the time I go to the gym, get home, shower, make some food, eat it, it's about 7.30pm. Like now, I'm just finished my tea and its 7.20pm.

Good job - seems like today went well.

I think foodwise, if you can substitute something a bit leaner than mince (even turkey mince maybe) into your dinner you could probably adjust the portion sizes so you still feel satisfied. It's just that mince, even at it's best, is still often times fairly fatty...

keane2097 wrote: »
    Good job - seems like today went well.

I think foodwise, if you can substitute something a bit leaner than mince (even turkey mince maybe) into your dinner you could probably adjust the portion sizes so you still feel satisfied. It's just that mince, even at it's best, is still often times fairly fatty...

Yeah, I don't have mince every day. I'll probably be on chicken now for the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Do you ever look in the 'nutrition and diet' section of boards. Can be ok for ideas.
    Personally, I think dolmio etc are gross. Get some passata [sieved tomatoes in a carton or jar from supermarket] and a tin of peeled plum tomatoes. Put them in a pot with basil and mix it up. Way nicer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=982

Do you ever look in the 'nutrition and diet' section of boards. Can be ok for ideas.
    Personally, I think dolmio etc are gross. Get some passata [sieved tomatoes in a carton or jar from supermarket] and a tin of peeled plum tomatoes. Put them in a pot with basil and mix it up. Way nicer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=982

I must try that idea, thanks.

Day 23

Breakfast:
    The homemade cereal again, 50-60 grams of organic oat flakes, 7 or 8 almonds, and hazel nuts (no walnuts left), tablespoon of gojiberries, organic low fat yoghurt.

Lunch:
    50-60 grams (uncooked weight) of wholegrain/basmati rice, grilled chicken breast, some veg stirfried, added dried spices. Glass of diet coke.

Dinner:
    50-60 grams (uncooked weight) of wholegrain/basmati rice, grilled chicken breast, lot of stir fried veg, dried spices, sweet chilli sauce. Glass of diet 7up.

Tea with protein flapjack bar

Workout/Exercise:

Front Squat - 3 sets, 5 reps - 20 kg

Power Clean - 3 sets, 5 reps, 22.5 kg

Military Press - 3 sets, 5 reps, 20 kg

Today was a good day food wise I think. No junk and sensible portions of healthy food from what I can tell. I didn't do any cardio today as I really wasn't in the form for going to the gym. I felt very very tired and sleepy all day, with a bit of a headache. I also just felt very restless and fidgety and just wanted to get out of the office as I felt like I was losing my mind. I really really didn't want to go to the gym, I just wanted to come home so that's what I've done. I'm not really sure why I'm feeling so tired today. It's not like a run down tiredness, just a sleepyness. I went to bed after midnight last night but I was awake until 1am or after as I couldn't sleep. I normally wake about 6.30am but I dosed on till about 7.30am so maybe that's why I'm so sleepy.

I weighed myself this evening and the scales said I was 246.2 lbs which I think is a gain of about 3 lbs. I'm a bit annoyed at that but then I had a few bad days last week food wise with no exercise. Although I don't know how accurate the scales are. I had to move them and sometimes they can give different readings as a result.

I've almost certainly lost weight as I can see my face is thinner, as is my chin, jawline etc.

When do you weigh yourself?? i have noticed in the past that my weight can change up to 5 pounds throghout the day. I think its best to weight yourself first thing in the morning after visiting the loo.

How did you find the front squats, i have been doing them lately, i like them but i know my form is way off as i feel them in my back more than abs.

Have you tried any barbell complexes? there are lots of videos of different ones on youtube, really gets the heart pumping

• Advertisement

jayoo wrote: »
    When do you weigh yourself?? i have noticed in the past that my weight can change up to 5 pounds throghout the day. I think its best to weight yourself first thing in the morning after visiting the loo.

How did you find the front squats, i have been doing them lately, i like them but i know my form is way off as i feel them in my back more than abs.

Have you tried any barbell complexes? there are lots of videos of different ones on youtube, really gets the heart pumping

I weighed myself this evening when I got home from work. I was planning to wait until the start of next week but I can be an impatient f****r :)

The front squats were ok, but I think my form wasn't great. I think I was lifting a bit too much as the squats were pretty difficult. I wasn't able to get down as far as I needed to plus I could feel one of my wrists getting a tiny bit sore. I think I need to do a bit less on the front squat.

No idea about barbell complexes. I'll check them out.

Advertisement