Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the drawing board

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Am not massively worried, it has to happen from time to time.

You shouldn't be and it should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Day 35

Breakfast:
    Fruit scone with low low.

Lunch:
    Wholemeal baguette with english mustard, lettuce, tomato, grated cheese, ham. Glass of diet coke.

Dinner:
    Grilled chicken breast, a Big Als BBQ Chicken Grill, some stir fried veg with cashews, wholemeal pitta with frenchs american style mustard, slice of cheese. Glass of diet 7up.

Tea with granola bar, and mixed berry bar.

Workout/Exercise:
    None

I know I ate too much today. I hopped on the scales this morning and it said 242.6 lbs which is down 1 lb from last week. I'm a little disappointed the weight isn't coming off faster. I think I've lost 8.6 lbs now and I was hoping to have hit the 14 lbs mark by this stage. I think I need to look at my diet and see if there's more stuff I need to cut out. I may also need to increase my training as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Day 35

Breakfast:
    Fruit scone with low low.

Lunch:
    Wholemeal baguette with english mustard, lettuce, tomato, grated cheese, ham. Glass of diet coke.

Dinner:
    Grilled chicken breast, a Big Als BBQ Chicken Grill, some stir fried veg with cashews, wholemeal pitta with frenchs american style mustard, slice of cheese. Glass of diet 7up.

Tea with granola bar, and mixed berry bar.

Workout/Exercise:
    None

I know I ate too much today. I hopped on the scales this morning and it said 242.6 lbs which is down 1 lb from last week. I'm a little disappointed the weight isn't coming off faster. I think I've lost 8.6 lbs now and I was hoping to have hit the 14 lbs mark by this stage. I think I need to look at my diet and see if there's more stuff I need to cut out. I may also need to increase my training as well.

Yeah you need to increase training, then, and i know this will be hard with the silly season upon us, look at removing:

scones - not a good start to the day, get some porridge or weetabix or scrambled eggs into you.

lose the baguette, lose the diet fizzy drink, lose big al's stuff - your dinners look huge. eat some nuts and fruit in between meals while reducing the size of the meals. lose those packaged sugar bars (granola, berry etc - make your own if there are some good recipes on this site).

That being said it is the silly season, and it is hard at any time of the year so it will be even harder now to change eating habits, so maybe make just one more change before new year, make it a decent breakfast and eating of fruit/nuts between meals (ok 2 :) ) and then up the training a bit.

Keep at it, the toughest bit is sticking in there, 1lb might not seem a lot but it is a step in the right direction and tomorrow is another day for you to take another step forward.

I agree with you there. I'd not gotten around to making my breakfast so I ended up with a scone yesterday, and hadn't got to making my lunch and had the baguette. That doesn't happen every day, perhaps once a week though.

Defo cutting down on dinner stuff. You should see the amount of mince I've taken out to thaw today. It's about the size of a baby's fist :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

I'd echo what Jaggie says about watching the Big Al's stuff. Much cheaper, healthier and imo, tastier to make up your own stuff with plain meat and some spices. And cut the bread down, the best piece of advice I ever got off this forum was that if I wanted a sandwich was to take the contents and drop it into a big salad. Chicken and bacon sambo quickly becomes a semi healthy chicken and bacon salad. Works for me whenever I want to drop weight for competitions.

• Advertisement

Day 36

Breakfast:
    Same as usual, oatflakes, yoghurt, berries, nuts, gojiberries.

Lunch:
    Grilled chicken breast, stir fried veg with cashews and spices. Glass of water.

Dinner:
    Very small portion of fried mince, about 50-60 grams (uncooked weight) of wholegrain/basmati rice mixed. Big load of frozen veg stirfried in extra virgin olive oil, dried spices, tomato ketchup. Glass of diet 7up.

Tea with 4 oatcakes with organic peanut butter on each.

Workout/Exercise:

Dumbbell Goblet Squat - 3 sets, 5 reps, 15 kg dumbbell.

Dumbbell Bench Press - 3 sets, 5 reps, 15kg dumbbell in each hand.

Deadlift - I ended up doing 1 set of 5 reps with 40 kg on the barbell.

Today was ok. I doubled the weight on the deadlift eventually. I did the first set with an extra 2.5 kg from the last time and kept increasing. To be honest I did 40 kg without too much issue and I'm sure I could have went heavier. However I don't want to be stupid and slap too much on and hurt myself The dumbbell bench press is hard enough as the dumbbells are 15 kg each and they're heavy enough to lift while I'm getting into position on the bench. Once I lie down flat, they're grand enough though.

I stayed up too late last night and was completely f*****d at work today so I didn't go near the gym. I'll have to make myself go tomorrow and do some cardio. I also think I need to start doing the back squat there from now on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

highly recommend getting to the gym and doing the back squat, like many who hadn't done it before (well not properly anyway) I underestimated the benefits of it, which i have found to be many.

Day 37

Breakfast:
    Protein Flapjack

Lunch:
    White bread sandwich, with ham, butter, cheese, onion. Bag of crisps. Diet Sprite.

Dinner:
    Small portion of lean mince fried in extra virgin olive oil, load of veg stir fried in olive oil, dried spices, tomato ketchup. Diet 7up.

Tea with 4 oatcakes with peanut butter. I also had two bags of crisps this evening too.

Workout/Exercise:
    None

Today was sort of a write off food wise. I was into work late and had a protein flapjack instead of my normal homemade cereal. They had a turkey christmas dinner on the menu today for lunch but I didn't want that so I ended up just getting a pre-made sandwich. Dinner was ok this evening apart from the fact that I ate two bags of crisps as well. I don't really know what came over me. I was in the Spar getting some veg for my lunch tomorrow and I was at the till and I just grabbed them.

I didn't go to the gym either today. I'm not really sure why, I just didn't want to. I didn't get out of work until about 5.45pm and I was completely starving for some reason and I just wanted to get home and get my dinner.

I'm thinking about cutting back big time on the carbs from tomorrow. Well I will have oatflakes in my cereal and maybe a wholemeal pitta with lunch, but that will be it. Dinner will just be some chicken or something with veg.

Dinner will just be some chicken or something with veg.

That's your problem right there. You need to start planning your meals for the next day. Even cook them the night before if you must. Low carb eating, in my experience, takes a decent bit of planning to get right but it has huge rewards. I know how you feel about just grabbing sweets when you're hungry, we're all guilty of that. You just have to plan your day so you aren't coming home starving.

Cut back on your carbs, and that means for everything, Big Al's chicken is no good, buy some chicken breasts instead. Cutting out carbs is tough as hell and you WILL feel like crap for a number of days. Headaches, constipation and grumpiness were a few of the things I got back when I started zoning. It pays dividends though when the weight falls off, you sleep better and your skin improves to that of a small child.

Stop making excuses with your diet and try a proper low carb effort for 2 weeks. If you don't feel better after 2 weeks then at least you'll know.

That's your problem right there. You need to start planning your meals for the next day. Even cook them the night before if you must. Low carb eating, in my experience, takes a decent bit of planning to get right but it has huge rewards. I know how you feel about just grabbing sweets when you're hungry, we're all guilty of that. You just have to plan your day so you aren't coming home starving.

Cut back on your carbs, and that means for everything, Big Al's chicken is no good, buy some chicken breasts instead. Cutting out carbs is tough as hell and you WILL feel like crap for a number of days. Headaches, constipation and grumpiness were a few of the things I got back when I started zoning. It pays dividends though when the weight falls off, you sleep better and your skin improves to that of a small child.

Stop making excuses with your diet and try a proper low carb effort for 2 weeks. If you don't feel better after 2 weeks then at least you'll know.

Not really making excuses, just saying as it is. But setting that aside, when you say low carb, what exactly do you mean? For example I'm getting ready to prepare my lunch for tomorrow and I'd planned to mix some tuna with some lettuce, tomato and spring onions and throw in some light salad cream. I had planned to have a wholemeal pitta with it also.

What exactly is involved in going low carbs? Can I even have wholegrain rice or wholemeal/wholegrain bread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

There are a number of different types of low carb diets, you're better off going to the nutrition & diet forum for information about low carb stuff. EileenG has made some excellent posts over in that forum about low carb diets.

What exactly is involved in going low carbs? Can I even have wholegrain rice or wholemeal/wholegrain bread?

Portion control is what is involved in going low carb. You CAN have wholegrain rice and bread but not very much of it. You're talking mostly vegetables and fruits for your carbs.

Take a look at these articles from the CrossFit Journal on nutrition, they helped me a lot

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/15_03_Nutrition_Full_Issue.pdf

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/cfjissue21_May04.pdf

Read those cover to cover a few times and you should have a better understanding of what's involved in low carb dieting. Admittedly it's based on the Zone diet but the principles are roughly the same. Another free resource for you to have a look at would be the diet recommendations over on CrossFit.ie

http://crossfit.ie/articles/diet/

I realise what I've pitched is CrossFit based but they worked for me very well. Robb Wolf's blog is pretty good too, as is Mark's Daily Apple. Nutrition is all about education, it'll seem frightfully easy once you do a bit of research.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

you should just try and forget about bread and rice altogether, wholegrain or not. You get used to it after a while. Maybe have some rice/pasta on saturdays and sundays but mon-fri try and cut that stuff out. Worked for me.

Day 38

Breakfast:
    Usual - oat flakes, some nuts, goji berries, blackberries, low fat yoghurt mixed. A banana also.

Lunch:
    Lettuce, tomato, spring onions, small 80g tin of John West Tuna (drained), about a desert spoon of heinz low fat salad cream. A small round wholemeal pitta. Glass of water.

Dinner:
    Chicken breast grilled, a ton of veg stir fried (carrots, peas, sweetcorn, mushrooms, onions, peppers), dried spices, sweet chilli sauce.

Tea with 4 oatcakes with organic peanut butter.

Workout/Exercise:

Squat - 3 sets, 5 reps, 20 kg (excluding barbell weight)

Power Clean - 3 sets, 5 reps, 27.5 kg (excluding barbell weight)

Military Press - 3 sets, 5 reps, 25 kg (excluding barbell weight)

30 mins cross trainer, started at level 40 resistance, moved up to level 45 resistance after 15 minutes. Machine said I burnt 487 cals.

Today was pretty good I think. I reckon my diet was good today. I had a wholemeal pitta with lunch which was just as well as I don't think the tuna, lettuce, tomato and spring onions would have been enough. I had no carbs with dinner (rice etc), just veg and chicken.

I did the back squat today in the gym using the rack. It went grand but I think my form is a bit iffy as I felt like I was quite wobbly and wasn't getting as deep as I needed to. I'll stick at the 20 kg for another while until I get comfortable with the form. I did a few reps with no weight on the bar and about 5 reps with 10 kg on the bar.

When doing the power clean I noticed a little pain in my right wrist when I got the bar up as far as my shoulders. However this only seemed to happen on the first rep of each set and I noticed if I didn't change my grip when I got the bar down and did another rep, there was no discomfort. I'll keep an eye on it.

The shoulder press was grand and I went to do 27.5 kg and struggled to get the 5th rep out so I went back down to 25 kg.

I was a bit frustrated today at work. I wasn't that busy and I'll be honest, this morning I wasn't mad keen on going to the gym. But as the day went on I came around to the idea and the only thing that was annoying me was that I had to wait around for so long until I could go. It's a bit annoying as sometimes when you actually can leave, you just want to go home.

Nice work on the diet and exercise my man!

Best bet for the squat form is to ask an instructor and to video yourself. Then you can compare it to vids online. If you upload it here people can give you some feedback on it too. Again, good work!

Yeah I've been watching videos online and I think I've a fairly good grasp as to how it's done. I think what might have put me off as well was that the bar was quite big and stretched out quite far. Or at least further than I'm used to. They have a smith machine there was well for doing squats with so that's an option but I think I'd like to stick to the free form squats if I can.

My legs were wobbly as f*** though coming out of the gym. So I must have done something right :)

They have a smith machine there was well for doing squats with so that's an option

Try not to think of the smith machine as an option.
    Try and get a video as Bobby said, loads of people on here who have the knowledge to help you out.
    Plus its better to get any big issues sorted early (i.e. now) instead of when you have gotten used to doing it wrong.

Also http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129
    Mark Rippetoes forum. He regularly comments on videos posted.

Day 39

Breakfast:
    Usual - oat flakes, flaxseed gojiberries, blueberries, some nuts, low fat yoghurt. A banana.

Lunch:
    Lettuce, tomato, spring onions, desert spoon of low fat salad cream, small tin of John West tuna drained, small round wholemeal pitta.

Dinner:
    Chicken Breast, 9 Big Al's dippers, stir fried veg, dried spices, HP brown sauce.

Tea with 6 oatcakes with organic peanut butter.

Workout/Exercise:
    None

Today was ok. I probably ate more this evening that I needed to, but other than that, today was good.

My legs are still a bit stiff from yesterday. I guess the squats and the increased resistance on the cross trainer worked. Aiming to hit the gym tomorrow morning too.

Day 40

It's early in the day but I'm not long back from the gym so I thought I'd post my workout.

Back Squat - 3 sets, 5 reps, 20 kg

Barbell Bench Press - 3 sets, 5 reps, 25 kg (I think, either 20 kg or 25 kg)

Deadlift - 1 set, 5 reps, 30-35 kg I think

30 mins cross trainer, level 40 resistance.

So I did my weights workout in the gym this morning. I had to get up early to go shopping and I was in the gym just after it opened. Amazingly, the weights room was completely empty, not another sinner in the place. Was nice to see the place look so tidy and not a load of f*****g dumbbells lying everywhere as some meatheads are too inconsiderate to put them back.

I posted the other day that I was worried about my squat technique. I meant to bring my camera with me today but I forgot. But I don't think it matters as I feel like my technique was much better today. I dipped down just about as far as I could and back up and no real wobbles. I felt more sturdy and having the mirror in front of me is good.

The deadlift though sort of f****d me a bit though. I'd been doing that at home here and was easily deadlifting 40-45 kg the other day. However I really struggled with just doing 30 kg deadlifts today. My only guess is that the bar I was using is much heavier than what I'm used to. I did one or two warmup sets on less weight. So much for hoping to get to 50 or 60 kg. It was a big huge bar. I guess it's an olympic one. I also noticed my form seemed a bit off. I think I'm bending my back too much on the way back down. I'll drop the weight down next time and correct it before increasing the weight again.

The bench press went grand and I did several warmup sets, first using no plates just so I could get a feel for the bar and how heavy it is. I eventually got up to about 20-25 kg on the bar. And it was pretty tough. I just about got the last one or two reps out. Was glad I didn't increase the weight a tiny bit more which is what I was considering.

I was planning to set the cross trainer to level 45 but I simply couldn't. My legs were completely ceased up from the squats so I just did level 40 for the half hour.

Looks like I'll have to wait another while before I rival Batista :)

Day 40

It's early in the day but I'm not long back from the gym so I thought I'd post my workout.

Back Squat - 3 sets, 5 reps, 20 kg

Barbell Bench Press - 3 sets, 5 reps, 25 kg (I think, either 20 kg or 25 kg)

Deadlift - 1 set, 5 reps, 30-35 kg I think

30 mins cross trainer, level 40 resistance.

So I did my weights workout in the gym this morning. I had to get up early to go shopping and I was in the gym just after it opened. Amazingly, the weights room was completely empty, not another sinner in the place. Was nice to see the place look so tidy and not a load of f*****g dumbbells lying everywhere as some meatheads are too inconsiderate to put them back.

I posted the other day that I was worried about my squat technique. I meant to bring my camera with me today but I forgot. But I don't think it matters as I feel like my technique was much better today. I dipped down just about as far as I could and back up and no real wobbles. I felt more sturdy and having the mirror in front of me is good.

The deadlift though sort of f****d me a bit though. I'd been doing that at home here and was easily deadlifting 40-45 kg the other day. However I really struggled with just doing 30 kg deadlifts today. My only guess is that the bar I was using is much heavier than what I'm used to. I did one or two warmup sets on less weight. So much for hoping to get to 50 or 60 kg. It was a big huge bar. I guess it's an olympic one. I also noticed my form seemed a bit off. I think I'm bending my back too much on the way back down. I'll drop the weight down next time and correct it before increasing the weight again.

The bench press went grand and I did several warmup sets, first using no plates just so I could get a feel for the bar and how heavy it is. I eventually got up to about 20-25 kg on the bar. And it was pretty tough. I just about got the last one or two reps out. Was glad I didn't increase the weight a tiny bit more which is what I was considering.

I was planning to set the cross trainer to level 45 but I simply couldn't. My legs were completely ceased up from the squats so I just did level 40 for the half hour.

Looks like I'll have to wait another while before I rival Batista :)

An oly bar weighs 20Kg.
    Make sure that you add that in. Obviously then when you load up two Ten kg plates you squatted 40kg. Don't sell yourself short.;)

Its meant to be tough, Good work.

• Advertisement

Day 41
    Hangover so no exercise at all.

Day 42

No exercise today either. I sort of had thought about going to the gym but once I knew I was going out last Sat night I figured I wouldn't want to hit the gym today.

I weighed myself this morning and I've lost 2 lbs since last week so I'm now 240.2 lbs. So I've lost 10.2 lbs since the 9th of November. Another 4 lbs and I will have a stone gone.

I'm aiming to lose weight over Christmas as well. Am going to cut back on the carbs with the christmas dinner and have extra turkey and I'm going to do my best to not eat any sweets or pies or anything like that.

Day 43

No exercise today either. Not sure why, I think I just got lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Day 43

No exercise today either. Not sure why, I think I just got lazy.

Sort it out man!:D

FYI - I haven't forgotten about this log. I simply haven't been to the gym for at least 2 weeks.

Advertisement