Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graphics card for SF4 on PC

Options
  • 09-11-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

I have a geforce 6700, its giving me 25fps [LULZ !!!!!111]
    what do i need ? dont wanna spend too much as i have it on the xbox

pc is pentium D, 3ghz
    and 3GB of ram

also how do i check if mother board supports pci cards too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Placebo wrote: »
    also how do i check if mother board supports pci cards too?

As far as this goes, download a neat little programme called "Belarc Advisor". It scans your comp and tells you your hardware etc. Then google your mobo model and check from there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Jaysus a 6700? Never even heard of them. Yeah if you had a 7600 you might have been ok but anyway yeah.. .your mobo will support 'pci' cards, what your wondering is if your mobo is AGP or does it have PCI-E (PCI express).

So anyway try what ramza said there and post your results here, or you could try hitting start and typing in dxdiag into the run menu and see if it gives your motherboard name there (system manufacturer + model)

Once we know if you have PCI-E or AGP we can see what your options are from there.

Btw did you try tweaking the settings at all? Lowering the resolution?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hmm... a pc that old probably won't have pci-e connection, in fact I'd put money on it being AGP.

If that's the case you are using an end of life technology (sinking ship tbh) Your best bet would be to save up 300e and buy/build a new pc.

If i'm wrong and your PC does have a PCI-e connection (and power cable from the PSU) then get a nVidia 8800GT. It should be able to handle SFIV at moderate settings @ 60fps and not break the bank.

One of the main gripes I have with SFIV actually. All SF's will run on my little netbook, right up to SF3:TS without issue, but SFIV won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

In fairness, they were all 2D!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

I've a graphics question actually. I'm running an SLI gtx280 setup but the fps is fixed at 60. Any ides how I can increase this?

Not to take away from Farz's post like just didn't want to start a fresh thread on Graphics.

Cheers.

Ry

• Advertisement

You don't want the fps to go over 60, you want it to stay at 60, its doing what its supposed to. Because the game is based around frames, its not like other pc games. It'll be all speeded up and stuff if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

[QUOTE=L31mr0d;62933249
    If i'm wrong and your PC does have a PCI-e connection (and power cable from the PSU) then get a nVidia 8800GT. It should be able to handle SFIV at moderate settings @ 60fps and not break the bank.

[/QUOTE]

Moderate? An 8800 will run it on max settings easily. He could go for something older and still get a fine performance.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

In case anyone is interested I'm selling an X1900XTX PCI-e GPU cheap over on adverts.
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=160915&cat=8

Should get the game up to 60fps if you have a PCI-e slot.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    You don't want the fps to go over 60, you want it to stay at 60, its doing what its supposed to. Because the game is based around frames, its not like other pc games. It'll be all speeded up and stuff if you get me.

Nice one cheers.

Ry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

L31mr0d wrote: »
    hmm... a pc that old probably won't have pci-e connection, in fact I'd put money on it being AGP.

If that's the case you are using an end of life technology (sinking ship tbh) Your best bet would be to save up 300e and buy/build a new pc.

One of the main gripes I have with SFIV actually. All SF's will run on my little netbook, right up to SF3:TS without issue, but SFIV won't.

its a dual core processor, how is it end of life, agreed its not high spec.
    this is why i hate pc gaming

also it does have PCI express slots.

Azza how good does that card run SF4, setting wise? plus what were your pc specs
    edit: il take it

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote: »
    its a dual core processor, how is it end of life

Well, dual core means nothing in this regard. The architecture of the CPU is very old. Plus the Pentium D's are the old style dual core, with 2 dies instead of the current 2 cores on 1 die. In saying that the CPU probably won't be an issue, it will run SFIV fine, as your motherboard supports PCI-e, the next thing you need to ascertain is your PSU rating and if it has PCI-e power connections (if it doesn't, if you have 2 molex connections free you should be able to get an adapter and use those)

btw, this is a good list which has most of the current graphics cards out their sorted by performance:

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=rmp_vds
    Creature wrote: »
    An 8800 will run it on max settings easily. He could go for something older and still get a fine performance.

Well it depends what you mean by "moderate", with an 8800GT you aren't going to run this game at 1080p+ @ 8xAA and get a solid 60fps on the taxing stages (Seths lab, Cruise Ship Stern... etc). Perhaps you are thinking of the 8800GTX. I have a a custom cooled 8800GT in my HTPC that's fairly heavily overclocked and it doesn't handle max settings.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Honestly no idea how it runs SF IV as I used a 4870 as my current GPU.

I suspect it should run the game on high settings at 1280x1024 at 60fps.

Well it depends what you mean by "moderate", with an 8800GT you aren't going to run this game at 1080p+ @ 8xAA and get a solid 60fps on the taxing stages (Seths lab, Cruise Ship Stern... etc). Perhaps you are thinking of the 8800GTX. I have a a custom cooled 8800GT in my HTPC that's fairly heavily overclocked and it doesn't handle max settings.

Well maybe I'm mixed up here but I have a GTS (which is older than the GT isn't it?) and I get 60fps at full res, everything set to high etc.

Well maybe I'm mixed up here but I have a GTS (which is older than the GT isn't it?) and I get 60fps at full res, everything set to high etc.

What resolution are you gaming at? 1920x1200? The 8800GT is a great card if you keep the resolution around 720p or its 4:3 equivalent. It just doesn't have the grunt for pushing large resolutions. Do you find your game lags when playing Seths Lab or the Ship Stern in SFIV online?

I play at 1400x900. Yeah I do find Seth's stage causes a bit of lag but only online, never offline.

Couldn't have asked for a better deal there farz, that card azza sold yea would be just fine and at a great price too. I'm sure you'll be happy with how it looks and runs.

I play at 1400x900. Yeah I do find Seth's stage causes a bit of lag but only online, never offline.

I reinstalled drivers recently and played SFIV and found online that Seths Lab was starting to really lag in a number of matches (I swear hitting the ? causes the game to pick the worst stages). So I exited out and found the second GPU on my 4870x2 wasn't enabled. After figuring out how to get crossfire working again I went back in and it hasn't lagged since. Some of the stages seem to require a fair bit of grunt from the graphics card.

I guess if the OP is only playing friend matches or ones he hosts then it shouldn't be a problem to get a weaker graphics card and just not pick the dodgy ones. Or hope they are optimized better in SSFIV.

btw, this is a good list which has most of the current graphics cards out their sorted by performance:

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=rmp_vds

Thats a handy list btw, n1.

I reinstalled drivers recently and played SFIV and found online that Seths Lab was starting to really lag in a number of matches (I swear hitting the ? causes the game to pick the worst stages). So I exited out and found the second GPU on my 4870x2 wasn't enabled. After figuring out how to get crossfire working again I went back in and it hasn't lagged since. Some of the stages seem to require a fair bit of grunt from the graphics card.

I guess if the OP is only playing friend matches or ones he hosts then it shouldn't be a problem to get a weaker graphics card and just not pick the dodgy ones. Or hope they are optimized better in SSFIV.

I've a 9800GTX, not a jaw dropping card by any means but I've everything maxed out @ 1680x1050 and never have any slow down at all, maybe its a driver thing.

ArmA 2 on the other hand... .god damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I have a Radeon HD4850 on a 2 years old Core 2 Duo. Running 64-bit Win7 with 4GB RAM, no problem getting 60fps constantly with 1680x1050 on 20" monitor or 1280x720 on 42" plasma tv.

The only thing is I'm a suck player.

• Advertisement

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    I've a 9800GTX, not a jaw dropping card by any means but I've everything maxed out @ 1680x1050 and never have any slow down at all, maybe its a driver thing.

ArmA 2 on the other hand... .god damn.

Arma 2 is cack if you ask me. It's sat on my desk since day 1. I've a good machine and this thing would barely run at all even on low settings so i think it's some bad coding or something cuz there's no game my machine would have trouble playing. I was well disappointed too as I always liked the Op. Flashpoint series.

Ry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

That worked fine i think Azza, had to make mince of my pc case though,
    Thanks !

It shows two fps, one of them says average? whats the appropriate reading?
    Just tried buying it for the pc off steam but my ccard is expired !
    whos wants to buy it for me and il pay them this weekend :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement