Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox update, videos wont play!

• 09-11-2009 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

I dont have the net at home, so I bring my xbox up to my folks place now and then to download demos etc. So I hooked it up, up there and switched it on, said it needed an update, so I went ahead and did so.

Brought it back home, now it wont play any videos :mad: , it says, you need an update to play this video and gives some code for the error. They all played find before, even ones I was in the middle of watching wont resume now! I know I'll probably just have to drag it back up to my parents and get the video codec update again or something, but has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

As far as im aware you have to be signed into xbox live to sort of "use" this update. I think there is a work around posted here.. Have a look around.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I read something about creating a silver account and downloading the media update again. Then it works across all profiles? Something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭segasega

dazftw wrote: »
    As far as im aware you have to be signed into xbox live to sort of "use" this update. I think there is a work around posted here.. Have a look around.

So to play videos at all now I have to be signed in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Nope nope nope gents, you are wrong, you dont have to be signed into play movies unless you havent transferred licences from and old console that maybe RROD'ed and they sent you a new one.....

Since the most recent update they have added a few more bits to the codec file for more stuff, since you updated the machine you just have to re-download the update, the old one was 2mb I think and the new one is 4 or 5mb.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You do have to be signed in to use the codecs. If I'm not connected to the net (which my Xbox currently isn't as I've changed the setup in the house) it won't play any videos.

Plays them fine when I sign into Xbox Live tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Achilles wrote: »
    You do have to be signed in to use the codecs. If I'm not connected to the net (which my Xbox currently isn't as I've changed the setup in the house) it won't play any videos.

Plays them fine when I sign into Xbox Live tho.

Same as here!
    Fieldog wrote: »
    Nope nope nope gents, you are wrong, you dont have to be signed into play movies unless you havent transferred licences from and old console that maybe RROD'ed and they sent you a new one.....

Nah, you're wrong, i've done all that and still have to be signed in to watch any video file

This is a joke! So people who dont have their xboxs hooked up to the net all the time cant play videos! Im going to try the silver account thing mentioned in the other thread, but this is still just stupid!

Might just opt out and buy one of these:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=408560

segasega wrote: »
    This is a joke! So people who dont have their xboxs hooked up to the net all the time cant play videos! Im going to try the silver account thing mentioned in the other thread, but this is still just stupid!

Might just opt out and buy one of these:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=408560

It is a joke indeed!

Those WD things are the business though! they play everything.

Same as here!

Nah, you're wrong, i've done all that and still have to be signed in to watch any video file

Okay, so you, like me, have obviously had a 360 fixed, yeah?

For my sake, if everyone here having issues in the thread would follow the instructions of this : http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/faq.htm

Then go to your download history, and re-download the codec update, and any old arcade games you purchased on your own console, i'll put a 10er on it that it will work again whilst not signed into live, trust me, I had World War 3 with microsoft over this license DRM issue, and thats what this is, infact, I think they released the Content Transer Tool just for me, lol.....

Its to migrate each license over to your new console.....

Trust me, im the sunscreen....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Just to counteract what you folks are saying, I've just played a few XviDs there without being signed in to Xbox live. I removed the net connection from my router, so neither the PC nor the Xbox had internet access. I restarted the xbox360 to make sure I wasn't signed in to live. I turned off transcoding so TVersity was just streaming the XviD TV Shows to the xbox like WMP would - no codec error or anything like that, just the videos I wanted to watch.

My 360 is fully up to date. The last update I did did force me to download the codecs again which I thought a bit strange myself.

• Advertisement

Okay, so you, like me, have obviously had a 360 fixed, yeah?

For my sake, if everyone here having issues in the thread would follow the instructions of this : http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/faq.htm

Then go to your download history, and re-download the codec update, and any old arcade games you purchased on your own console, i'll put a 10er on it that it will work again whilst not signed into live, trust me, I had World War 3 with microsoft over this license DRM issue, and thats what this is, infact, I think they released the Content Transer Tool just for me, lol.....

Its to migrate each license over to your new console.....

Trust me, im the sunscreen....:D

Tried all that too, still same situation. Same for lots of people!

You can only do the transfer once a year with each new console (keeping your orignal HD), have you been through more than one xbox in one year?

I know I have.......

:(

You can only do the transfer once a year with each new console (keeping your orignal HD), have you been through more than one xbox in one year?

I know I have.......

No, i haven't been through more than one. I did the license transfer cos all my arcade games were only trials unless i signed in. The tool sorted that but not the codecs thing, annoyingly!

Just needed to download to video codec update again, working fine now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭mckildare

Have only connected to the net once to download that update, been watching movies off my external HD tru the Xbox ever since without being near a router or any such device :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I know I have.......

See the link below

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59798730&postcount=1

Advertisement