Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What other animal can live happily with a rabbit?

Options
  • 09-11-2009 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭

Brief background: Had two female, neutered, indoor rabbits for years and the older one passed away back in January. The remaining rabbit is very timid and was bullyied by the older one. She just doesn't get along with other buns. She's much more outgoing and happy now that's it's just her in the cage and she's in better condition.

Saying that, I'm worried that she'll be lonely. Especially coming up to Christmas. We're going away and can't bring her so my in-laws are coming over to feed and water her and give her a run around every day but I hate the idea of her being bored being on her own most of the time. She has plenty of little toys and activities but I don't think it's the same thing.

So I'm looking for advice from someone who has experience of a rabbit like this. I know that they're better off in pairs but she just doesn't like other buns. Should we leave her as she is, on her own or can you recommend another rodent who can live in the same cage as a rabbit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

We had a guinea pig and rabbit live together for years and they got on great: 2 rabbits actually one escaped never to be seen again when I was a kid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

Monkeys. They love rabbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

never have a rabbit and guneia pig togeather, new studies show it is not a good idea, the reason being i cannot remember, guneia pig rescue if you pm her will tell you all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

old boy wrote: »
    never have a rabbit and guneia pig togeather, new studies show it is not a good idea, the reason being i cannot remember, guneia pig rescue if you pm her will tell you all

Never heard that: our rabbits and guinea pig got on fine but do check it out before you do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Wether rabbits and guineas get on well or not is not the point, many guineas are badly injured by rabbits. If you have ever held a rabbit and it wanted to get out of your arms badly imagine back to how hard they kicked now imagine that rabbit, even small ones, accidently kicking a guinea pig.

They have different diets, different ways of communicating.
    Guineas can be bullied by rabbits, there has been occasions where guineas have bullied buns but in general it's the other way around.

Any decent rescue and many very good rescues in the UK will never home rabbits and guineas together. I could go on there's more info. on my site.

Sadly some vets and many pet shops still think it's ok to keep them together, it's an outdated practice.

Rabbits vary in personality they aren't all the same so it's a matter of pairing up rabbits to see if they get on. A good rescue may be able to help if you let them know you need to adopt a rabbit but only subject to them getting on well together and if they don't perhaps the rescue would consider trying another rabbit to see if that one will get on.

A placid neutered male may work out better with the spayed female.

Btw guinea pigs (cavies some are still debating wether they are offically rodents or now) and rabbits (Lagomorphs) aren't rodents, there are no rodents that are suitable to be house with rabbits. Rabbits need their own kind. Some people have rabbits living among other animals like cats, dogs, chickens etc. Tbh I wouldn't trust a cat around a rabbit, I am a big cat fan and know cats well enough to know better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I had a Rabbit who thought it was a Dog. When the dog would bark up against the fence the Rabbit would be there right next to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Thanks for that, Guineapigrescue. Very informative.

Might contact a rescue and see if they have an older, spayed male for rehoming. Might have to trial a few to get a match for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

going on the rabbits personality would it be better off by itself? we had a rabbit that preferred its own company and would outrightly attack and other rabbits, cats etc with the exception of one cat! maybe your bun may be happier by herself? i know ideally she should be with other rabbits, but sometimes you get exceptions

Advertisement